“Disappointed being a Hilton Hotel”

Trader Duke's Hotel
Ranked #4 of 12 Hotels in South Burlington
Reviewed 19 October 2013

I expected more from this hotel especially it is a Hilton Hotel but was disappointed with their service. I arrived very late at night and called for shuttle service. The hotel staff that answered call did not give instruction where to wait for shuttle even though it is a small airport. Waited for about 10-15 minutes and the driver did not approach us to help with luggage. We had to bring them up to him. At check in, when shown map of where our room was, I commented that it was very far,all the way to the other wing & the front desk staff did not offer another room to us. I find the hotel rate in Vermont very high but compared to other Doubletree that we had stayed in other places, this one is over priced & does not include any breakfast. Our room was across the storage room where the housekeeping kept their supplies. We could hear the noise in the morning of carts rolling along and of door opening and noise in storage room.
The best part of this hotel is its location. Right across is the small shopping mall with small food court & some stores but only 1 story. This hotel is also convenient for public transport.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
Jen B, Front Desk Supervisor at Trader Duke's Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 October 2013

Thank you very much for taking the time to review your stay. I hope you enjoyed your time in Burlington! We greatly appreciate your time and look forward to utilizing your insight to continually improve our guests experiences. I am sorry to hear that the Front Desk agent that took your call did not tell you where to wait for the shuttle and did not help you with the luggage. As you mentioned we are very close to the mall and conveniently located for public transportation, and during October we are extremely busy with fall foliage. I am sorry to hear that your room was not located closer to the lobby, in most instances if you arrive late in the evening we only have a few rooms left and sometimes they happen to be at the other end of the building. We look forward to the opportunity to welcome you back in the near future! Thank you again for taking the time to review our property.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,047)

Reviewed 18 October 2013

tHE PRICE WE PAYED WAS A LOT HIGHER THAN THE QUALITY OF THIS HOTEL!!!!!!

In fact for what we payed 251.90 USD /NIGHT /2DOUBLE BEDS...was nothing fancy or special. The size of the room was like a motel, small! The sink is not in bathroom, is in the room, very uncomfortable at the entrance exactly near the door. We had coffee but no sugar, we had a frige but no bar. We had no microwawe. Only 3 towels in the batroom. The bathroom was ordinary, and old one. The room was clean but not fresh , the heating system was noisy and not worked well. The hotel has no elevator from the lobby directly, the elevatoprs are only in the corners of the building. The hotel looks like a motel, nothing fancy or elegant. The swimming pool water was cold and the Jacuzzi dirty!!!! Andf the towels at the swimming pool very small!!! The staff working there not nice and helpful, they just supervised, they did not clean the Jacuzzi, they waited to be 10PM to close!!!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank mihaela17
Jen B, Front Desk Manager at Trader Duke's Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 October 2013

Thank you very much for taking the time to review your time with us. I am sorry to hear that you were not entirely pleased with your stay. It is our goal to ensure that our guests are pleased with all aspects of their stay. I am happy to inform you that we are in the process of refurbishing our property and look forward to welcoming our guests to see our fresh new look later this year. In addition to our newly refurbished standard rooms, we also have suites which you may find as more suitable accommodations. Our suites offer a larger, more spacious setting with living room, bedroom, and kitchenette with full size refrigerator and microwave! As you experienced, fall is a very busy time of year that attracts many travelers to our beautiful state! We look forward to welcoming you at all times of the year! Please feel free to call the hotel for rate information and travel planning. We look forward to the opportunity to welcome you again soon! Thank you again for your comments.

Reviewed 17 October 2013

YES. tHE PRICE WE PAYED WAS A LOT HIGHER THAN THE QUALITY OF THIS HOTEL!!!!!! The room was an ordinary one, no elevator directly from the reception , elevators only in the corners of the building. The hotel is an old repaired hotel, nothing special. The quality of the room was ordinary , SMALL like a motel! We were disappointed for the money we paid there!!!!The bathroom very old and the sink was in the room exactly on the entrance hallway ,not in the bathroom. We had a fridge but no bar in the room, no microwave, we had coffee but no sugar , only 3 towels, not 4, the room was clean but small, the water in the swimming pool was cold and the Jacuzzi was dirty, the staff working there not helpful, not nice, doing nothing just stayed and supervised.The towels at the swimming pool where small small. The receptionist called us in the morning but we went there for relaxing and sleeping!!!! Overall was ordinary but not what we expected for the money . We payed 251.90 usd for a regular 2 doUble beds room.No wiew, nothing special, nothing fancy! An ordinary old hotel, not what we expected from HILTON!We are traveling a lot but this hotel room is not worth more than 125$.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton
Jen B, Front Office Manager at Trader Duke's Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 October 2013

Reviewed 17 October 2013 via mobile

I just completed a 5 day, 4 night business trip in Burlington. I stayed at the DoubleTree for their significantly lower rate than the downtown hotels, and was 100% pleased with my choice. The room was clean and comfortable, with everything I needed for my stay. The staff were always extremely friendly and helpful. The location proved to be a nice long walk from downtown, and there are sidewalks and pedestrian crossings everywhere in Burlington, so I partook several times. Trader Duke's, the restaurant in the DoubleTree, was simple and great. I'll review it separately! Were I coming back again, the DoubleTree would be a great place to stay, either with my family or alone on business.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
Jen B, Front Desk Supervisor at Trader Duke's Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 October 2013

Thank you very much for taking the time to review your stay at the Doubletree by Hilton, Burlington! I hope you enjoyed your time in Burlington! We greatly appreciate your time and look forward to utilizing your insight to continually improve our guest’s experiences. We are in the process of refurbishing our property and look forward to our fresh new look. We're glad to hear you found staying with us convenient as we are a brisk walk to the Church Street Marketplace. Thank you again for your comments! We hope you to see you soon whether it's a business or leisure trip!

Reviewed 15 October 2013

I've been going to Burlington on average once a year for several years now, and I always stay at the Doubletree. I decided to write a new review because they have made some changes, albeit minor ones, and I haven't reviewed the place in a while.

One change is that they now have dedicated Hilton HHonors sections on both floors, and as I am a member I was given one of those rooms. To be honest, I don't know what the major difference is between the HHonors rooms and the regular ones - they're the same size and are basically decorated in the same way. That said, the room was just as comfy as I remembered, with 5 pillows on each double bed and nice Crabtree and Evelyn amenities. The sink and toilet area were still separate but that was very convenient for my friend and me, as one could shower while the other brushed her teeth and etc.

The second change I noticed is that they added a little "corner store" type of thing right next to the check-in desk. I didn't use it but it looked to have basics like headache pills, drinks, bandaids and so on. I am not sure how useful it will be because the hotel is about a 5 minute's walk to a drugstore but I suppose it would be good in case of emergencies?

If you're in town to shop, the location is prime: within walking distance of a major bookstore, mall, grocery store and bus stop to the Church Street Marketplace. The hotel's restaurant is very good - try the butternut squash soup, if it's available - and the staff was very friendly. I asked for a late checkout and was given it without any fuss at all. Also, the free wi-fi is a big bonus, and the complimentary chocolate chip cookies at check-in are always a welcome treat.

I did find that the price had gone up quite a bit compared to last year, but then again, what hasn't gotten more expensive? Overall, I love this hotel and will go back whenever I'm in town.

Room Tip: Rooms near the pool can be a bit loud due to a lot of foot traffic.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family

Thank you very much for taking the time to review your stay at the Doubletree by Hilton, Burlington! I hope you enjoyed your time in Burlington! We greatly appreciate your time and look forward to utilizing your insight to continually improve our guest’s experiences. We are in the process of refurbishing our property and look forward to our fresh new look. We're glad to hear you found staying with us convenient as we are close to the Church Street Marketplace and the University Mall just around the corner. Thank you again for your comments and see you soon!

Reviewed 12 October 2013

This place has always been tops. Never have had a problem with anything. Restaurant is great, staff always friendly, both in the restaurant and front desk....The location is fairly close to Church Street, without the price of the ones that are "on" the strip.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Thank you very much for taking the time to review your stay. I hope you enjoyed your time in Burlington! We greatly appreciate your time and look forward to utilizing your insight to continually improve our guests experiences. We look forward to the opportunity to welcome you back in the near future! If you have any further questions or comments, please feel free to contact me directly at any time.

Have a wonderful weekend!

Reviewed 11 October 2013

This hotel is literally 5 minutes from the airport and 10 minutes from Lake Champlain. That's not a bad deal in and of itself.

While the interior hallway carpets are a bit worn, the rooms look newly renovated and the furniture as comfortable and inviting. My air conditioning unit was pretty darn noisy, but nothing out of the ordinary for hotels in this price class.

Free Internet, but no free breakfast -- and the paid breakfast was average and slowly delivered. Lots of breakfast options across the road, though.

All in all, a solid stay that I really enjoyed.

Room Tip: There are several rooms right off the main lobby of the hotel. I stayed in one of those and was wok...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business

Thank you very much for taking the time to review your stay at the Doubletree by Hilton, Burlington! I hope you enjoyed your time in Burlington! We greatly appreciate your time and look forward to utilizing your insight to continually improve our guest’s experiences. We are in the process of refurbishing our property and look forward to our fresh new look. Although breakfast is not included, we offer a variety of packages that include breakfast, among other things! I am sorry to hear that your breakfast experience was average and slowly delivered, but we look forward to the opportunity to welcome you back in the near future so we may have the opportunity to change your dining experience! Thank you again for your comments!

Also consider these accommodations in or near South Burlington
Best Western Plus Windjammer Inn & Conference Center
Best Western Plus Windjammer Inn...
#3 of 12 in South Burlington
Green Mountain Suites Hotel
Green Mountain Suites Hotel
#2 of 12 in South Burlington
Hotel Burlington & Conference Center
Comfort Inn & Suites South Burlington
Comfort Inn & Suites South Burli...
#7 of 12 in South Burlington
Hilton Burlington
Hilton Burlington
#5 of 8 in Burlington
Homewood Suites by Hilton Burlington
Homewood Suites by Hilton Burlin...
#1 of 12 in South Burlington

Been to Trader Duke's Hotel? Share your experiences!