“The best value and very clean”
Review of Smart Suites

Smart Suites
Mass.
“The best value and very clean”
Reviewed 28 July 2008

What can I say we have stayed here several times since they opened and are very very happy with the hotel. We have two children ages ten and thirteen. We did get a room with livingroom , kitchen,master with king size bed , two queen size beds in another bedroom and a very large bath . Everyone was very happy and the beds were comfortable. Yes the continental breakfast is not the best but please. Continetal breakfasts are just something light to hold you over. You never expect to get eggs benadict or blueberry pancakes. The staff is the nicest group of people and can't do enogh for you. Anyone that doesn't enjoy there stay here is crazy. Very clean and the price is great also.

• Stayed July 2008, travelled with family
1 Thank mollygirl1

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Princeton, New Jersey
Reviewed 2 July 2008

If you like cleanliness, as I do, forget this place. The carpets and floors in the lobby are always dirty. Our room carpeting had burns and stains in it--not terribly appealing. The upholstered chair was pulling apart. And as for the bedmaking---you could almost picture housekeeping just pulling up the cover, since the top sheet was all wrinkled, which you could tell from the top of the cover. Oh, yes, do you like your fitted sheets covering only the top two inches of the mattress?? And if you choose an extended suites place instead of a regular hotel, you'll learn as we did that there isn't complete cleaning every day, only "light cleaning". So, after they finished cleaning our room at 4:10 P.M., the time when we returned from sightseeing and wanted to relax, we noticed that they hadn't even cleaned the toilet or mirror. We were going to stay for 5 nights, but checked out after 3. We wouldn't have stayed that long, but all the hotels were booked over the weekend. The people were pleasant, but I have different standards. We checked into the Holiday Inn Express, in the same parking area, and had a fantastic bed, enhanced breakfast, and all for the same price. Oh, yes--and with complete cleaning. This hotel also was showing some wear and tear, but appeared much cleaner.

• Disliked — lack of cleanliness
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled as a couple
boston, ma
Reviewed 27 April 2008

The hotel is conveniently located near to Burlington for visiting colleges, and the staff was genuinely pleasant. The breakfast was very low budget, packaged pop-tarts and cereals were options. Also, there were bagels and engish muffins w/ a toaster, along with toaster style french toast and waffles... most of the breakfast was processed food. Some fruits, coffee, tea, and hot cocoa available 24/7. The a kitchen w/ microwave, utensils and fridge in the room was useful. The rooms were clean. HOWEVER, the stench of cigarette smoke as you approach the entrance to the hotel was nasty. The smell of roach spray in the lobby area and halls to the elevators was pretty nasty, as well. The smell of other people's cooking as we approached our room door (bad side of kitchens being provided) was gross. There was no mattress cover on the bed, just a thin, cheap sheet between you and whoever was there before you. The cheap, mirrored closet door was off the track and leaning against the interior of the closet, a dangerous area for my 4 year old. That should have been fixed (or caused to be fixed) prior to our arrival by housekeeping staff who did manage to leave a little basket out for their expected tip money. To offer a visual: at breakfast time, as I entered the lobby/breakfast area, I passed a man in shorts, but no shirt (not pretty) as he was leaving the laundry room (which is an open room adjacent to the coffee bar)... and a woman in leopard-skin pj's was at the coffee bar when I approached, having just rolled out of her bed...I guess there are many people who live in these types of hotels for whatever reason, but they truly do treat the lobby area as their living room --wierd -- not my style, and not worth the bargain rate of $89 per night. We stayed at Hawthorne Suites the last time we were in the area and it was in much better shape, they had a real breakfast and the envioronment was much nicer, I wish I didn't try to save myself the $30 difference in price. We will never book a room at Mainstay Suites again.

• Liked — clean bathroom
  • Disliked — it was generallly pretty awful
  • Stayed April 2008, travelled with family
MA
Reviewed 15 February 2008

This is a decent Extended Stay Hotel in South Burlington, VT. It is sited up a hill from the main drive and some rooms have views out towards the Lake. It shares it's location with a couple of other hotels that are operated by the same owners.

The rooms are all suites with kitchens. This hotel is similar in concept to other suite hotels. The rooms have sepreate sleeping and living areas and kitchens. The bigger suites have seperate bed rooms.

The decor and amenities are lower grade than say a Residence Inn by Marriott. Furniture, finish and decor all is fairly low-end.

This particular property seems to have been built within the last five years or so.

I would recommned this hotel as long as you can get a good rate. It was decently clean (but NOT super clean) and well run. They serve an adequate continental breakfast in the lobby.

Stayed November 2007
1 Thank MassVacati0ner
Boston, MA
Reviewed 31 December 2007

I just got back from 2 nights at the Mainstay property. I found it to be spacious - large bedroom with king bed (extra pillows and blanket in closet), large living area and kitchen area, balcony with great views of the Lake (4th floor). Breakfast was included and offered french toast, waffles, juice, muffins, cereal, yogurt, fruit and pop tarts. Free internet access in the lobby. The staff was friendly and helpful. The hotel was clean and above average for the type/level of hotel. Good location- close to the highway, about 10 mnutes from downtown Burlington, less than 5 minutes drive to Magic Hat brewery, about 20 minutes to the Vermont Teddy Bear Company, the Charlotte Village Winery, Shelburne Farms and the Ben & Jerry Factory.

Stayed December 2007
Schenectady, NY
Reviewed 21 December 2007

The Mainstay is with others owned by the same people so you can use the pool/whirlpool at the H-I Express as well. Breakfast was typical but very nice. Rooms large and clean and modern. I found no problems staying here. Unless there are few people, the larger parking lots that are shared are where you will park (not right in front), but no matter. This is better than most if the price is right. Fitness room not great, but you really should be skiing instead anyway. Also, 6 mininute drive to downtown where you should go... best city life between NYC and Montreal.

• Liked — Big room
  • Stayed December 2007, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Portland, Maine
Reviewed 4 November 2007

I booked my stay at this hotel based on the reviews I read here. I was in town for a rugby tournament and needed a place to crash for one night. My overall feeling was the hotel was just ok. It is a chain hotel. I did not expect it to be anything fantastic, however, I did expect it to be cleaner than it was.

First the positives, the location was decent to downtown Burlington. It was about a 10 minute drive. The room was large as it was a suite (obviously). There was a small kitchenette with fridge, dishwasher, two stove burners and sink. The cabinets were stocked with an adequate amount of dishes, pots, pans, etc. There was also a couch and chair with coffee table and lamps for reading. Also, on a positive note, the linens on the king sized bed were very soft and I could not hear anything from the nearby rooms. This is usually not the case for me as I am a light sleeper.

Now for the negatives, the bathroom . . . ewwww. There was hair in the shower and stuck to the inside of the bathroom door. It was pretty disgusting to see someone else’s dark hair all over the place. The housecleaning staff should have taken care of it before my arrival. Another negative was the welcome received upon check-in. I was not looking for someone to jump up and down to welcome me, but I felt as if I was really bothering the woman at the front desk by checking in. There was no smile, no how are you. It was just her saying “Name? Address? Master card used to book the room?” Maybe she was having a bad day, may not, I don’t know. One last negative, and this is really nit-picky (I know) the refrigerator was REALLY loud. There was a constant humming that sounded much like a microwave running all night long.

All in all it was an OK stay. The hair in the bathroom was just a really big turn off. If I’m paying 100 bucks for a room I’d expect it to be clean. Heck, if I’m paying 50 bucks for a room I’d expect it to be clean. I probably would not stay here again unless there were no other options available.

• Stayed November 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank Always_Globetrotting