“Plugged toilet”
Review of Anchorage Inn

Anchorage Inn
Reviewed 7 July 2013

The toilet over flowed every time we flushed it. They keep sending the front desk clerk with towels and a plunger. When asked to talked to the manager they said she was not in. She was there. I finally talked to her and asked for a discount. As with everyone at the anchorage she past the buck. The owners have to handle all complaints. Poor management, poor customer focus.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Shanna S, General Manager at Anchorage Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 15 July 2013

Dear Mr. Beeson,

I am very sorry you have had trouble on this stay with us here at Anchorage Inn. We do apologize, as I had when you were here, that our maintenance man was not here during your required time. That does, at times, leave our Front Desk Team to multi task and fill in where ever the needs be. To a hotel this size the Front Desk Team is always the unsung heros. They are everything from mailman to plumber, geek squad to electrician, and everything in between to make our guests stay as pleasant as they possibly can. When you asked our Front Desk Team to speak with me, I indeed, was not here. On that morning, June 29th, you were my first guest to whom I had seen, I was yet to even get report of the happenings of the entire night before. As I remember, our conversation was a strong request for a refund of which I explained was outside of the level I was authorized to give. The ownership would have to be consulted upon their return on Monday morning. Upon hearing of the issue the ownership graciously authorized a Gift Certificate for a future stay to be issued and mailed to you on their behalf that very day. I, again, greatly apologize for your inconvenience. I, also, wish to apologize that you felt as if the Front Desk Agents and myself have “poor customer focus”. I believe we have done everything we were able to do in the given situation, however, we seemed to have missed our satisfaction mark in your eyes. We are eternally sorry for that. We do hope that we are able to not only meet, but exceed, your expectations on your next stay.

Reviewed 2 June 2013

We had a 6 a.m. plane to catch and this hotel is a short drive from the airport. We went to bed early and were disturbed for a couple of hours by people who had gathered at a picnic table below our window. After they left, the noisy air conditioner became the problem. Every time it came on, there was a banging metal sound until it shut down again. That continued all night. We didn't get much sleep. The sheets, towels, and bathroom were clean, as was the bedroom. The bathroom fixtures are outdated; the bathtub is avocado green. The bedroom furniture is old. The TV gave a distorted picture. We were not scared of the area, as some other reviewers have described. We asked for a 3:30 a.m. wake up call and it came at 3:37. At least it came. We were very surprised when we went to our car at 4:30 to leave that the parking lot was packed with cars, indicating a lot of business for the hotel. We had checked around at several other hotels and this was the least expensive. The Burlington hotels all seem overpriced as compared to other areas we have visited....supply and demand, I guess.

Room Tip: You get what you pay for in Burlington/South Burlington.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple

I would like to extend a warm and gracious thank you for choosing Anchorage Inn as your destination of choice while you were in South Burlington. I am sorry to hear that you were disturbed by a few of our guests who were enjoying a beautiful Vermont evening. We do our best to make sure that all noise levels are low and non disruptive after the 10 pm hour. I was saddened to hear that you felt the air conditioner was very loud. The facility ownership has just placed and ordered these new units not even 6 months ago, as part of our ongoing goal and initiative to better the facility. We are aware that, yes, our bathroom fixtures are vintage and are always, a good conversation starter. I am so happy that you found the cleanliness of your room to meet, and hopefully, exceeded your expectations. We are very proud of our housekeeping team and do our best to give positive reinforcement of our pride whenever the opportunity presents itself. We do our best to pride ourselves on the value we extend to our guests and try to expand our value each and every day. Our slogan is “Where Location and Value Meet”, we do our best to fulfill that commitment each and everyday. Thank you, again, for choosing Anchorage Inn. We hope we will be able to open our doors to you the next time you are in the Burlington area.

Reviewed 18 May 2013

To be fair,the new management has tried to give a good value for the price, it's old and tired but sheets seem to be professionally laundered and ironed,it's clean in rooms, there's a pool inside and nice landscaping outside as before. Location is very centrally located and convenient. We've stayed there many times in the past 10 years when in the area for dog obedience or agility trials. When I called and made reservation, Neil informed me that it was new management and the pet policy now included a pet fee,( before you got you money back if no damage ). I was fine with that. I asked for a room very near an entrance as I have trouble walking. He granted my request and was as pleasant in person as on the phone.
That night at 11pm, I got a call saying that we hadn't told them we had a large dog ( 60lbs)! I had told Neil when he asked that we had a Pointer-anyone knows that's a medium sized dog. We were told the policy is dogs under 20 pounds, and we'd have to see in the morning if manager would make an exception for us. Not wanting to be at anyone's mercy for a room, we immediately booked Motel 6 where dogs are more welcome than the new Anchorage.I felt we were being called liars, trying to sneak our dog in, when asking for a room by entrance is the last thing a person doing something shady would do! To make matters worse, they charged us for all 3 nights, even though it was not our plan to check out...it was the idea of having no bed for the next night if manager didn't let us stay that made us move. We signed NO pet policy, No paper that says you'll be charged for entire stay..so be very careful what cheap buys you....in the case of this new ownership, it's your word against theirs and only thing to do is dispute with CC company. All this could be avoided if their manager Shauna had the foresight to have people sign pet and no refund policy agreements when checking in. Neil is great but she is a real detriment to this place so beware if you may have some emergency at home.that they will keep your money even if THEY are the ones threatening to kick you out! Beware! I also feel Neil will take the hit for this unfairly when a good manager would have signed paperwork on hand so it's not a matter of either party not knowing what to expect.
Hopefully better management since our April stay now makes it clear to guests on the 20 lb rule and that they keep your money for entire length of stay no matter when you check out !!!

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
Shanna S, General Manager at Anchorage Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 3 September 2013

Yes, you are correct; we are not the same old Anchorage. We like to think we are better since the arrival of the new ownership to Anchorage Inn. The items you have listed above are just a small number of the new things the ownership has done to expand our value to our guests. Just to be brief, here is a partial list of the new things we are so proud of, the ownership has invested in new AC units in selected rooms, new carpeting in the lobby, hallways and some rooms, new Serta Hospitality beds were placed in May, a huge upgrade was preformed in the pool area, as well as a brand new hot tub. We have, also, added a cardio fitness room as that was our largest request from all the guests who we surveyed and we have expanded our light continental breakfast, to include, a selection of healthier options. As I said before, I am trying to keep this list short, but, we are so proud and excited of all the new upgrades that have been brought to the facility to increase the value we give to our guests.

I agree, Neil is a huge asset to the facility and will have a long and productive career in hospitality. I will be sure to pass on your good and thoughtful words to him. Neil, along with the entire Front Desk Team as well as the entire Anchorage Team always strive to bring the best Anchorage has to offer to each and everyone of our guests each and every day.

With all improvements, some new changes have to be made to policy and procedure to protect the investments and the expectations of guests and hotel alike. Some of the boundaries that once were, and are comfortable to our previous guests are often misconstrued as us not being as hospitality friendly as previously known from Anchorage. I can assure you, that the new policies are nothing more than the facility continuing to bring itself up to a more industry wide standard. We are not, nor have we ever, tried to deceive a guest, lye to a guest or even mislead a guest. Our guests are notified of all the policy changes during reservation and at arrival. A selection of these items include, the pet fee and weight limitation, smoking recovery fees for smoking in a non smoking rooms, our cancelation and refund policies and any extra person, cot, or fridge fee, what ever the guest needs to know. As you can see, we keep our policies very simple and straight forward. If a guest wishes to leave us an email address we are always happy, and encourage, sending a conformation letter so our guests know and have in writing the commitment we are making to them and they to us. Therefore, it encourages a win – win situation all around.

I am sorry that you had an inconvenient stay at Anchorage Inn. It is never our wish to have a guest feel that they were treated unfairly. I do hope that you will try us again in the future, see our upgrades and changes, and hopefully we will be able to not only meet but exceed your expectations.

Reviewed 19 April 2013

Stayed here and found the front desk guy (NEAL?) quite helpful. As I checked in, he told me if there was a problem with the room, to just come and see him and he would make it right. Got to room, pretty average but hey the price was in line with the room, so no complaints. Except, the old tube TV did not work very well, so back down and the desk dude gave me another room. 2 doors down, same type of room. In a nutshell, I guess I would say it is a tired motel, the toilet seat was very old and worn ( I could see the wood under the paint). The tube TV are not very sharp. The bed was lopsided, it seemed that the head side was lower than the foot side, and the pillows have lost there "fluff". The breakfast was cold cereal, but abundant with juice and fruit. Indoor pool was interesting.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank Marc56
Reviewed 31 March 2013

Great hotel and a at home atmosphere! Shanna, Neil, Ron Rick and the housekeeping staff were great! during my current three week stay, they treated myself above and beyond my expectations seeing that my room was always in order as well seeing to it that my stay was a pleasurable one.
I'm a US AIR FORCE VETERAN and the staff at the Anchorage thanked me for my service to our country

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 30 March 2013

I was very nervous and skeptical of staying at this property as I booked the room before I actually checked the reviews. The reviews I saw made me a bit nervous but I didn't cancel and I'm very happy I didn't. The front desk clerk Neil was great my partner has bad knees and back and has a hard time walking up stairs and long distances. Neil was very thoughtful and gave us a room close to the entry way from the handicapped parking. We went swimming and used the hot tub. The hot tub had some sort of scummy stuff on it and I told Neil he came right in and cleaned it. Neil has a great smile and attitude which makes me as a guest feel very welcomed and comfortable. I would definitely recommend this hotel. I have enjoyed my stay and will return in the future.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank ruthannlacombe
Reviewed 22 March 2013

We arrived at the Anchorage Inn around 1:am in the morning after a delay in our flight. We arrived at the front door and I noticed two policecars outside the front door..My husband and I went into the lobby and were greeted by some youths hanging around the lobby and also a young woman with a black jacket and nothing on the bottom. Great start..NOT..went to room and after looking around the place was so nasty...holes in comforters, carpeting wasn't vacummed, sink fixtures were nasty, lampshades dirty, refridgerator dirty . I could go on and on. I didnt leave because it was so late and I was sick with a cold. The morning was worse because you could see so much more dirt and filth..I filled out a complaint at the front desk..by the way I got a good look at the front foyer. They need to clean their chairs, they too were nasty. This place shoud be shut down. It's unfit to stay there. beca

Room Tip: Pay the extra price for another room elsewhere..
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank vermonter133
Also consider these accommodations in or near South Burlington
Sheraton Burlington Hotel
Sheraton Burlington Hotel
#4 of 8 in Burlington
Best Western Plus Windjammer Inn & Conference Center
Best Western Plus Windjammer Inn...
#3 of 12 in South Burlington
Comfort Inn & Suites South Burlington
Comfort Inn & Suites South Burli...
#7 of 12 in South Burlington
La Quinta Inn & Suites South Burlington
La Quinta Inn & Suites South Bur...
#8 of 12 in South Burlington
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Burlington
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Burli...
#4 of 12 in South Burlington
Green Mountain Suites Hotel
Green Mountain Suites Hotel
#2 of 12 in South Burlington

Been to Anchorage Inn? Share your experiences!