“Not a place I would go again”
Review of Anchorage Inn

Anchorage Inn
“Not a place I would go again”
Reviewed 13 July 2014

Drove up to front door to see 2 police cars parked outside. Sitting in the lobby was a man with no shirt on. On way to room saw police officers searching rooms. In our room there eere many stains on carpets, shower did not work,curtain had mold and there were foreign hairs on the wall. Could be a very nice place with some tlc.

• Stayed July 2014
1 Thank NDLI63

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Canton, New York
Reviewed 24 June 2014

I have stayed here numerous times because of the reasonable price and excellent location. It's nowhere I would go on a pleasure trip, but, when I travel to Burlington for medical reasons, this place is just right for me. However, this time there were charges at checkout that I had not been informed about previously. There was a charge for the safe, a new addition to the room, which I neither needed nor used. There was a second surcharge for the room keycard. Apparently they are making customers pay separately for the nice new room locks that were installed recently. These charges are inappropriate and, in any case, guests should be informed about them beforehand. I imagine they are not included in the room rate so that it can be kept low. However, this is not a way to run a business, and, after 10 years of occasional stays, I will not be returning. Oh yes, I also informed them about a window that could not be closed, but nothing was done.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Rita G
York, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 23 June 2014

Big problem - front desk photocopied my photo ID and would not return photocopy when I checked out. All hotels check ID's at check in but I never had another photocopy and retain it. After research I discovered that they violated Vermont State Law on identity theft.

Other problems:
Three story hotel with no elevator.
One lamp in entire room which could not be turned on because of missing switch.
TV cabinet doors self close - propped open with our luggage.
Staff could not reset flashing clock - solution was to unplug.
There is a $4.00 resort (resort?)fee for the in room safe which could not be locked.
Shower handle was broken.
They vacuumed the hallway at 9:00 PM hitting the walls and doors with the cleaner.
We stayed two days. Returned to room at 3:00 PM and it had not been made up. Housekeeping didn't make beds, clean vanity, replace soap, vacuum, etc. until I asked.

We reserved through Expedia and so room was prepaid. Otherwise we would gone elsewhere.

Room Tip: Spend a few extra dollars and stay somewhere decent.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Scott B

Travellers are raving about these South Burlington hotels

New York City, New York
Reviewed 29 May 2014

The pros:

Great location, literally steps away from the bus that takes you all around Burlington.
The staff was incredibly friendly and welcoming.
They have a pool which looked nice, I didn't use it though.

The cons:

Smelled like smoke when it was a non smoking room.
Had an overall musty smell.
Was very outdated and old feeling/

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Ilana S
Colebrook, New Hampshire
Reviewed 13 May 2014

My husband and I have stayed at this motel off and on for over 25 years when we have visited Burlington for occasional weekend getaways. The price has been right, the location good, the breakfast we can deal with. We usually get a fridge if we ask for it. The rooms are large.

When we arrived this past Friday, the first thing we noticed when entering the building was a very strong floral odor, some kind of cleaning agent, I guess. So strong I could almost taste it. That strong odor lingered overnight in our room. What was that all about? Then we noticed that a window in our room was broken. When I say broken, I mean a crack all the way across and the glass was starting to come apart at the crack - if you ran your hand over the crack, you could cut yourself. We called the front desk immediately and the response was, "Thanks for letting me know. We won't charge you for it." It hadn't occurred to us that they might think we broke it. It HAD occurred to us that someone might offer to change our room, or come up and tape the crack. We left that window alone for the rest of our stay, but it wouldn't have been safe if we'd had small children with us. The sink faucet needs replacing (pieces missing), the bathroom heater knob was broken off, thus unusable,and the mildew stains in the tub grout were gross.

To top it off, our alarm clock went off at midnight both nights. Was that the cleaning crew's idea of a joke? We paid $80/night for the room (that was with the AARP discount). For $20 more a night, we could have had a much nicer experience elsewhere, and that is probably what we will be doing in the future. We did like the upgrade to scannable keycards. Very handy and secure.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank 45thParallel
Newport, Vermont
Reviewed 4 May 2014

We paid $75.00 plus tax for 1 night and to park our car for 5 nights for a trip. The guy who checked us in was excellent! Very nice and personable. Even shook our hands when he found out we were headed on our honeymoon! The room was clean but a little outdated. The only thing I noticed was maintenance must have recently did trim work in bathroom and they did a horrible job edging! Paint all over floor which looks bad( a wet rag wouldve taken care of that). The pool and hot tub was very nice except for the unsupervised kids ( 6 of them) who were constantly screeching and driving me nuts. Parents no where to be found. I finally asked them to stop when they started SCREAMING!!!. I understand they are kids and having fun but my husband and I are trying to relax and the parents were no where to be found, which irks me especially when I have a kid. Other than that everything was good. Would definitely stay again

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Concord, New Hampshire
Reviewed 22 January 2014

Overall, our experience was lousy. I made reservations over the phone with a gentleman a couple of months before our stay. We stayed from Saturday to Monday. Because of my AAA discount, the gentleman over the phone at the inn told me that the first night would be $65 and the second night would be $55 because Sunday to Monday night stays were not as popular. I am usually a pretty plannful person but I didn't notice that I never got an email confirmation from the hotel until the day we left for our trip. Upon our arrival, the man at the front desk was immediately rude, spoke way too fast, and made zero eye contact. When I asked about our total price that seemed way to high for the 2 nights, he told me there is absolutely no way I would ever get a room rate lower than $65. When I told him that that was what I was told over the phone, he told me he was the one who spoke to me and was very adamant that he never told me the cheaper price. I had no desire to continue arguing with him so I just accepted it and moved on, refusing to let it ruin my weekend. Unfortunately, there were many more things I disliked about the inn. First, the entire place smelled like urine. Second, it snowed both nights we were there and they barely did any plowing of their own parking lot. Very slippery and hard to park! Third, the entire hotel is very outdated, including decorations (there were barely any), and the rooms themselves. The rooms were big and the beds were comfy, but the whole place felt dirty. The bathroom was INCREDIBLY small and not very nice looking. It had rust and was very dark. The TV worked well but there is no mini fridge to store things if we needed to. Fourth, the breakfast options they offered were incredibly limited. There were pre-packaged donuts, multigrain cheerios, and corn flakes, plus apples and oranges that didn't look very appetizing. The coffee and juice were the only things we liked. Fifth, the walls in the rooms are super thin and you can hear everything!! Overall, the place smelled bad, did not seem very clean, and we were unimpressed with the customer service. When looking on the brighter side, the hotel does have a pool and jacuzzi (although I was too afraid to use them because I wasn't sure how often they were cleaned). The location is very central and is less than a 10 minute drive to down town and Church Street. Minus the inn itself, Burlington is a great place to visit. Instead of staying here, I recommend spending the extra money and going somewhere else!! You won't be missing out on anything!

Room Tip: Don't book here!! Spend the extra money and book somewhere different!
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Danielle L
Also consider these accommodations in or near South Burlington
Best Western Plus Windjammer Inn & Conference Center
Best Western Plus Windjammer Inn...
#3 of 12 in South Burlington
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,274 reviews
Sheraton Burlington Hotel
Sheraton Burlington Hotel
#4 of 8 in Burlington
Homewood Suites by Hilton Burlington
Homewood Suites by Hilton Burlin...
#1 of 12 in South Burlington
La Quinta Inn & Suites South Burlington
La Quinta Inn & Suites South Bur...
#8 of 12 in South Burlington
Green Mountain Suites Hotel
Green Mountain Suites Hotel
#2 of 12 in South Burlington
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Burlington
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Burli...
#4 of 12 in South Burlington

Been to Anchorage Inn? Share your experiences!