“Very OVER rated and misleading”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in South Hero
Apple Island Resort
“Very OVER rated and misleading”
Reviewed 23 July 2014 via mobile

Place is geared for the seasonal and permanent residents. Not a real"camping" or friendly feel. Feel like an outsider! No trees/shade. Price is truly for the amenities do if your not using them for this price look elsewhere...There are plenty of campground close to this one. Pay for pill and hot tub. Golf which was a lousy experience tree boxes like a rock, could be a nice post 3. Anything goes 5 people then 2 people so the play was beyond slow, people getting lessons on the course, no golf etiquette and you did have to pay for golf! Large clubhouse, library, again really for the people here for the summer. Did 1 week and no, we wouldn't return. No view of water with full hook ups, those are on the highway :-). If you have a boat or jet ski, maybe this is your type of camping. Sites not level and roads not paved. Bathrooms n showers clean.

Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
3 Thank dadadadamom

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
  • Hebrew first
Waterbury, Vermont
Reviewed 21 July 2014

I have a very good friend whose parents have a seasonal at this campground and my husband and I, along with several other couples, have been to visit and camp for many years, even though camping at Apple Island is EXORBITANTLY expensive for what you get . Each time we get together it is for a birthday celebration and we have community meals and fires. It is imperative for us to be somewhat near each other and in the past this has never been a problem. I called and reserved a spot for us and asked for a specific site. The person I talked with had no problem with giving me a specific site and I assumed I was all set. Since we all had been coming for years, everyone else in our group got their desired site, all close to our friends with the seasonal site. Upon checking in on a Friday night, I was woefully dismayed to find we had been "moved". Our site was given to a "big rig". Of course. No problem. Except they had moved us far from the rest of the group. Terribly inconvenient. They could have taken a look at their reservations and moved someone else that wasn't with a group. Regardless, we had a lovely weekend, not because of where we were, but who we were with. Prospective campers please know...Apple Island caters to the elite. We have a 34ft tow behind...hardly a little camper, but still not a "big rig". We will camp there again, only because of our friends.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Jodi T
Hagerstown, Maryland
Reviewed 19 July 2014

As others have pointed out, this "campground" is mostly full timers. Many of the sites have permanently installed trailers. This gives the feeling that you are in a retirement community more than a campground. The amenities and location are nice, but the overall feeling is not what I am used to when I am out in our little camping trailer.

The site we had was very large, but very poorly laid out. This was, by far, the least level site I have ever seen. It was not level in any direction and it was the first time I had to put one side of the trailer up on blocks. The hookups are basically in the middle of the site, so once we parked the trailer, we basically couldn't use over half the site.

They do have a very nice large pool. The showers were some of better ones I have seen in a campground. The bathrooms were OK. Everything was kept clean.

The location is very nice. Right on Lake Champlain and close to Burlington and Waterbury. The only problem we had was that there was construction on Rt 2, which slowed us down a bit when traveling around.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank Brent_LS
Exeter, New Hampshire
Reviewed 3 June 2014

We booked this campground several weeks in advance for Memorial Weekend. While the location was wonderful (with a lovely view of Lake Champlain) we weren't delighted with the price or service. We arrived late on a rainy Friday night. Despite calling ahead to let the staff know of our late arrival (and to make sure we could get in) no one answered the call or returned our messages (phone and pager). We found our way to our campsite, but it would have been nice to have some guidance in the dark/rain. Fortunately, a Good Samaritan helped us find our way.

Although the view from our site was nice, we were surrounded by 4-5 RVs who had prearranged a group visit...thus were surrounded by a rowdy crowd all weekend. Our view of the lake was bisected by a major road, which created additional noise. Next to our area was a "moonscape" of excavated land for new campsites directly fronting the lake. Those in the front row will have a great view...the rest will be crammed in and be mainly looking at other campers. Not such a big deal until you consider the price...

The next day, when we asked at the camp store for the nearest fuel station for diesel, they couldn't come up with a suggestion (even though, we found out, there was one just down the road. We wasted a lot of time trying to find fuel. Finally, when we asked to check out 1 hour later than the posted time (noon) we were told there was a $30 charge, which seemed ridiculous for a Monday morning, given the low occupancy rate of the campground. All in all, we were left with the distinct impression that the owners are maximizing their profit, not the satisfaction of their customers.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Karen P
Landrum, South Carolina
Reviewed 23 May 2014

I arrived last night in my RV, expecting a real campsite. This is comprised of, what appears to be a lot of, full-timers which gives a different vibe since no one is out "camping." I was escorted to a spot that's somewhat near Route 2 and it was fairly busy and loud last night. These two things I can easily overcome, however...

The internet is sketchy at best....when it does work, it's more like dial-up; there is no cable and I cannot get Dish reception; there is virtually no water pressure.

Would I stay here again? Not bloody likely--but it's okay in a pinch. Fortunately, I'm only here one night.

One more very minor detail. Many pictures on their website make it LOOK like you're camping right alongside the shore. You're not. The first set of sites, when you pull in to the campsite, can see the shore from across the very busy Route 2 but the rest are too far back to see it. If I look out the window of my RV and crane my neck, I can see some water. I think it's a little misleading.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
3 Thank Lori H
Morrisville, Vermont
Reviewed 3 September 2013

We had a wonderful time this last weekend at Apple Island. Too much to do to mention here. The sites are mostly large, clean and the staff are very friendly. It is a little pricey, but worth it if you like things to do and a clean campground.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank depand22
Reviewed 7 August 2013

I just returned from a four-night stay at this campground. I was tenting solo, with other family in an RV. There are no tent sites, all sites have some level of hookups, which makes it a bit pricey for tenting. I opted for a lakeview site, and the view was really wonderful and my site was huge (QR007). What I didn't realize, though, is that that meant that I was right near the main road. The traffic noise was horrible, and I ended up having to buy ear plugs after my first night. After that, it was tolerable - just beware that in exchange for the view, you get lots of traffic noise!

The campground itself was very well tended, the lawns well manicured, and the staff was very nice. The bathrooms and showers were clean (and free). There is a large heated pool and a hot tub, but time your hot tub visits carefully - we tried to go one evening (both the pool and the hot tub close at dusk), but a large group had taken over the hot tub and were settled in with drinks and coolers. The next night we went at suppertime and had no problem.

The place is large and seems primarily seasonal; it was not very full while we were there, which was nice. It was very quiet, especially at night (except for the traffic sounds).

Burlington is only about 25 minutes away, and there are tons of things to do in the area. We hit Ben & Jerry's in Middlebury, a walk on Church Street in Burlington, a day at North Beach (Burlington again). There's also a good bike trail, kayaking on Mallet's Bay, and much more.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,473 reviews
Hampton Inn Burlington
Hampton Inn Burlington
#1 of 5 in Colchester

Been to Apple Island Resort? Share your experiences!