“Friendly and great pool, but many long term residents”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in South Hero
Apple Island Resort
Reviewed 15 August 2014 via mobile

The place is spacious and spotless with a great location looking onto the lake. A super swimming pool and well stocked store. Staff really friendly and helpful. But staying there as a holiday maker and camper is slightly funny. The resort has very many residents who are staying the whole season and so it feels less like a camp site and more a retirement village which tops up free sites with passing trade which is broadly what it seems to be. But clean friendly and well located anyway.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank ADL79
There are newer reviews for Apple Island Resort

Reviewed 28 July 2014

We have done many reviews, and have been RVing for over twenty years. It must have agreed with us, for we stayed an additional two nights (seven in total). We almost did not book because of some of the reviews read prior. Many fair, some unfair. The biggest thing is this park is still trying to figure itself out. Yes, many seasonal sites, but extremely friendly people. Always a wave, and even an invite the first night to join their campfire, from a couple who have owned for over seventeen years. Complaints of noise were unfounded. Rte. 2 does go past, and is a busy highway, but gets very quiet at night. We are light sleepers, and had the windows opened every night. Also highway noise is dictated by the wind direction, something you can't blame on the park. But for the price charged, the nightly sites should be better leveled, and the gravel portion should not have weeds growing through them. But the rest of the area is very neatly maintained. The biggest disappointment was the so called WiFi hookup. We do not stream, just check emails and banking while on the road. One second you would have five bars, the next, nothing. Regardless of what tower you tried to connect to. Moving around the site did nothing to help reception. Even a few seasonal campers agreed on how poor the WiFi is. The facilities are clean and kept in good shape. Yes, there is construction at the entry, as, from what we could gain, construction was halted due to zoning issues. Hopefully this get resolved soon, because these will be very nice sites. Overall a campground with potential, but is considered over priced compared to others in the area. We would come back again, mainly for the quiet of the area.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank DandP2014
Reviewed 23 July 2014 via mobile

Place is geared for the seasonal and permanent residents. Not a real"camping" or friendly feel. Feel like an outsider! No trees/shade. Price is truly for the amenities do if your not using them for this price look elsewhere...There are plenty of campground close to this one. Pay for pill and hot tub. Golf which was a lousy experience tree boxes like a rock, could be a nice post 3. Anything goes 5 people then 2 people so the play was beyond slow, people getting lessons on the course, no golf etiquette and you did have to pay for golf! Large clubhouse, library, again really for the people here for the summer. Did 1 week and no, we wouldn't return. No view of water with full hook ups, those are on the highway :-). If you have a boat or jet ski, maybe this is your type of camping. Sites not level and roads not paved. Bathrooms n showers clean.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
3  Thank dadadadamom
Reviewed 21 July 2014

I have a very good friend whose parents have a seasonal at this campground and my husband and I, along with several other couples, have been to visit and camp for many years, even though camping at Apple Island is EXORBITANTLY expensive for what you get . Each time we get together it is for a birthday celebration and we have community meals and fires. It is imperative for us to be somewhat near each other and in the past this has never been a problem. I called and reserved a spot for us and asked for a specific site. The person I talked with had no problem with giving me a specific site and I assumed I was all set. Since we all had been coming for years, everyone else in our group got their desired site, all close to our friends with the seasonal site. Upon checking in on a Friday night, I was woefully dismayed to find we had been "moved". Our site was given to a "big rig". Of course. No problem. Except they had moved us far from the rest of the group. Terribly inconvenient. They could have taken a look at their reservations and moved someone else that wasn't with a group. Regardless, we had a lovely weekend, not because of where we were, but who we were with. Prospective campers please know...Apple Island caters to the elite. We have a 34ft tow behind...hardly a little camper, but still not a "big rig". We will camp there again, only because of our friends.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Jodi T
Reviewed 19 July 2014

As others have pointed out, this "campground" is mostly full timers. Many of the sites have permanently installed trailers. This gives the feeling that you are in a retirement community more than a campground. The amenities and location are nice, but the overall feeling is not what I am used to when I am out in our little camping trailer.

The site we had was very large, but very poorly laid out. This was, by far, the least level site I have ever seen. It was not level in any direction and it was the first time I had to put one side of the trailer up on blocks. The hookups are basically in the middle of the site, so once we parked the trailer, we basically couldn't use over half the site.

They do have a very nice large pool. The showers were some of better ones I have seen in a campground. The bathrooms were OK. Everything was kept clean.

The location is very nice. Right on Lake Champlain and close to Burlington and Waterbury. The only problem we had was that there was construction on Rt 2, which slowed us down a bit when traveling around.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank Brent_LS
Reviewed 3 June 2014

We booked this campground several weeks in advance for Memorial Weekend. While the location was wonderful (with a lovely view of Lake Champlain) we weren't delighted with the price or service. We arrived late on a rainy Friday night. Despite calling ahead to let the staff know of our late arrival (and to make sure we could get in) no one answered the call or returned our messages (phone and pager). We found our way to our campsite, but it would have been nice to have some guidance in the dark/rain. Fortunately, a Good Samaritan helped us find our way.

Although the view from our site was nice, we were surrounded by 4-5 RVs who had prearranged a group visit...thus were surrounded by a rowdy crowd all weekend. Our view of the lake was bisected by a major road, which created additional noise. Next to our area was a "moonscape" of excavated land for new campsites directly fronting the lake. Those in the front row will have a great view...the rest will be crammed in and be mainly looking at other campers. Not such a big deal until you consider the price...

The next day, when we asked at the camp store for the nearest fuel station for diesel, they couldn't come up with a suggestion (even though, we found out, there was one just down the road. We wasted a lot of time trying to find fuel. Finally, when we asked to check out 1 hour later than the posted time (noon) we were told there was a $30 charge, which seemed ridiculous for a Monday morning, given the low occupancy rate of the campground. All in all, we were left with the distinct impression that the owners are maximizing their profit, not the satisfaction of their customers.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Karen P
Reviewed 23 May 2014

I arrived last night in my RV, expecting a real campsite. This is comprised of, what appears to be a lot of, full-timers which gives a different vibe since no one is out "camping." I was escorted to a spot that's somewhat near Route 2 and it was fairly busy and loud last night. These two things I can easily overcome, however...

The internet is sketchy at best....when it does work, it's more like dial-up; there is no cable and I cannot get Dish reception; there is virtually no water pressure.

Would I stay here again? Not bloody likely--but it's okay in a pinch. Fortunately, I'm only here one night.

One more very minor detail. Many pictures on their website make it LOOK like you're camping right alongside the shore. You're not. The first set of sites, when you pull in to the campsite, can see the shore from across the very busy Route 2 but the rest are too far back to see it. If I look out the window of my RV and crane my neck, I can see some water. I think it's a little misleading.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
#6 of 14 in Plattsburgh
Hotel Vermont
Hotel Vermont
#1 of 8 in Burlington

Been to Apple Island Resort? Share your experiences!