“Good, but crowded”
Review of Stratton Mountain

Stratton Mountain
More attraction details
Owner description: The biggest single ski mountain in the eastern United States.
Reviewed 26 February 2014

Very resort-y and has excellent amenities. Great for families, but if you're looking to snowboard (which is what my girlfriend and I did), try to avoid going on the lower mountain trails that go parallel to the base. It's so flat, it's tiring.

1  Thank Jeush J
"long weekend"
"groomed trails"
"great trip"

Reviewed 25 February 2014

Been coming here for a long time but I am becoming disillusioned due to the cocky attitude of management. Long lines, lifts that shut down for no discernable reason, poor maintenance and still some old rickety lifts. Spend some of those high prices to improve the lifts and ameliorate long lines Stratton!

1  Thank Dan O
Reviewed 13 February 2014

My husband and father travel to Stratton every year and I can now see why. This was me and my twins' first time skiing and we all took lessons. We stayed in a condo next to the village and it was extremely convenient; everyone was super nice and the camp was wonderful. To get my five year olds to wear those ski boots for six hours straight two days in a row is a miracle in and of itself! They wanted a third day but it was booked because CT schools happened to have that Monday off. The shops were great, although ski gear is clearly expensive. We bought some souvenirs and one day I was lucky enough to fit in a massage at the Spa. The Lodge has a great little food area and I got my latte fix every day. My husband and father like the 'classy' way this mountain is managed year after year, and that is why they keep coming back.

Reviewed 5 February 2014

My husband and I stayed at Black Bear Lodge on Stratton Mtn. for their ski and stay package. First of all it's a great deal and skiing on Stratton Mountain is great. But the best part was the lodge. The receptionists are super friendly. We skiied Sunday stayed Monday night and skiied Monday. The rooms are very nice and very clean. Beds are super comfortable and the staff is very helpful. You can leave your car in the parking lot and take a handy shuttle to the mountain that runs all the time. We went to stay at another place to ski Okemo Mountain on tuesday night and before we left Stratton we heard there would be a big snowstorm wed. We were suppose to return home on Wed. night. I stopped at the front desk and explained my dilemma and asked if I could reserve for Wed. and Thurs. skiing and staying Wed. night although I wasn't sure if we could make it back in the snow. Mary at the front desk was very helpful and took the reservation and said if I couldn't make it to call Wed. morning. We did make it and the snow was just too much to ski in and Courtney at the front desk nicely gave us $70 in vouchers to spend on the mountain and got us into our room early. We had a lovely lunch at Grizzly's and will eat dinner in the restaurant tonight. We will definitely come back!

See more reviews
Reviewed 5 February 2014

Stratton Mountain is very well managed and run, and beats its neighbors in all ways. The SNOW: Grooming and snowmaking are top notch here. When neighbors have bare spots, Stratton is covered. The grooming it meticulous, with no lips and ruts on which to catch an edge. TERRAIN and LIFTS: Stratton offers a wide variety of terrain. Diamond trails are serviced by all upper mountain lifts, so you do not have to waste time skiing to a specific black diamond area. But for novice and intermediate skiers, Stratton offers a wide range of trails and GREAT instruction.

CUSTOMER SERVICE: is top notch, Friendly, helpful, professional. This is clearly a place where staff is trained in hospitality. From lift operators to managers -- everyone has a smile, and knows what they are doing.

Note that like all Southern Vermont mountains, Stratton can get crowded and lift line can be long. Thankfully, because the lift operators are on top of what they are doing, lines move quicky, and lifts do not stop because of poor operators.