“Great mountain”
Review of Stratton Mountain

Stratton Mountain
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: The biggest single ski mountain in the eastern United States.
Reviewed 9 March 2014

It got very crowded on Saturday, but that was because the conditions and weather were PERFECT! On Friday we skied to our hearts content, with terrain for every level of skier.

All reviews
"ski patrol"
in 5 reviews
"varied terrain"
in 4 reviews
"snow making and grooming"

Reviewed 1 March 2014

My wife and I skied two days at Stratton in February 2014 and one day at Okemo. This review pertains to Stratton, but the comparison to Okemo is interesting.

I have read reviews for a number of years about the ski resorts in the east. The annual rankings issue of Ski Magazine usually has Stratton and Okemo in the middle of the pack in the east. It seems like both of them have similar points of attraction. Both do extensive grooming. Both are well suited for families. We had never skied at either one of them, so this was a clean slate in terms of judging each and making a comparison.

Stratton is owned by Intrawest. You can always recognize an Intrawest resort. There are certain similarities in the base village (all nice things in my view). They seem to always have some sort of pedestrian village or walkway lined with shops and restaurants. Stratton has this. It is not very big in comparison to other Intrawest resorts out west, but it is definitely nice.

Stratton has about 2000 feet of vertical drop, slightly less than Okemo at 2200 feet. The peak elevation is actually higher at Stratton (not sure that makes any difference - 3900 foot peak versus about 3300 foot peak at Okemo), but the vertical drop is actually slightly less. Stratton is steeper at the top. Toward the bottom, you have this largely flat terrain that you just have to ski out to get to the lift. At Okemo, the runs seemed to continue clear to the lifts without a flat plateau area near the bottom, so I actually like the runs better at Okemo.

Both places have nice lifts. I think Stratton has more high-speed lifts than Okemo. They also have the one gondola. Perhaps this may seem like a minor point, but Stratton, for some reason, has no footrests on any of its high-speed lifts. It is just puzzling. I do not know why. Almost all of the resorts out west where we have skied (Deer Valley, Beaver Creek, Northstar-at-Tahoe, many others) have footrests. Maybe most people do not care. But, some people (such as my wife) are really bothered in the knees by the weight of the boots and skis hanging from the chair lift on the ride up. Even our twenty-something son has the same issue despite much less mileage on his knees. All of the high-speed lifts at Okemo had footrests. So, it is nice, at Okemo, to have these footrests available on the chair lifts.

We skied at Stratton on a Thursday and Friday and both days were somewhat crowded, especially Friday. I have read that Stratton really gets crowded on the weekends, but I cannot say from experience. I think Okemo may have the edge in terms of less crowds. The grooming is known to be great at both places. On this particular visit, there was a huge dump of new snow overnight, Thursday into Friday. That would normally be a good thing. But, the snow was so deep that they did not groom. Hence, it got all chopped up. So, it was actually rather difficult to ski it. I personally like groomed slopes, and I know Stratton ranks really high in that category.

I asked a lot of people on this trip about Okemo versus Stratton. You got very mixed views. But most locals that I posed that question to seemed to prefer Stratton. We hope to be back, maybe with a large extended family group.

2  Thank HiddenGem2010
Reviewed 26 February 2014

Very resort-y and has excellent amenities. Great for families, but if you're looking to snowboard (which is what my girlfriend and I did), try to avoid going on the lower mountain trails that go parallel to the base. It's so flat, it's tiring.

1  Thank Jeush J
Reviewed 25 February 2014

Been coming here for a long time but I am becoming disillusioned due to the cocky attitude of management. Long lines, lifts that shut down for no discernable reason, poor maintenance and still some old rickety lifts. Spend some of those high prices to improve the lifts and ameliorate long lines Stratton!

1  Thank Dan O
See more reviews
Reviewed 13 February 2014

My husband and father travel to Stratton every year and I can now see why. This was me and my twins' first time skiing and we all took lessons. We stayed in a condo next to the village and it was extremely convenient; everyone was super nice and the camp was wonderful. To get my five year olds to wear those ski boots for six hours straight two days in a row is a miracle in and of itself! They wanted a third day but it was booked because CT schools happened to have that Monday off. The shops were great, although ski gear is clearly expensive. We bought some souvenirs and one day I was lucky enough to fit in a massage at the Spa. The Lodge has a great little food area and I got my latte fix every day. My husband and father like the 'classy' way this mountain is managed year after year, and that is why they keep coming back.