“What a dump!”
Review of Hartness House

Hartness House
Ranked #1 of 2 Springfield B&B and Inns
Reviewed 3 October 2011

We attended a function at the Hartness House Inn over the weekend. While the rooms in the Main House looked lovely, our room was in one of the wings at the back of the property. Worst room I have ever stayed in. The curtains and rugs were dirty and dated and the room was dinghy. Fiberglass insulation was sticking out of the air conditioner. The beds had no support -- when you laid down, you sunk down in the middle of the mattress and your feet were at a 45 degree angle. The TV was small and over 15 years old. Cleanliness is not a priority either. We had a large cobweb on the ceiling in our bathroom. There was a dinner roll in the hallway when we checked in and it was still there when we left two days later. My last complaint would be about the rate. We were quoted a rate of $119 per night. What they did not tell us until we checked in was that children were an extra $15 per child per night (an extra $30/night for us) and there was a 6% service fee (for what I do not know). Add on the state taxes, and this room cost us $175 per night. This room was barely worth $75 per night.

If you book here, get a room in the Main House. Otherwise you will be greatly disappointed.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Sriv726
There are newer reviews for Hartness House

Reviewed 11 September 2011

This was our first trip to Vermont. We found this wonderful place on the internet while looking for a place to elope. The Hartness House Inn was more then we could have ever hoped for. They gave us the most wonderful and worry free experience for our wedding. The inn keepers (Alex and Ala) and the front desk lady(hate that i have forgotten her name) were absolutely wonderful to work and visit with. We say everyday how we wish we could go back there.
The Hartness House offered everything we needed in an all inclusive elopement package. We simply said what color flowers and cake we wanted and the rest was handled. We couldnt have planned our BIG DAY any better. We were even able to choose where we wanted our ceremony once we arrived. The garden out side is beautiful and the perfect spot for a wedding. We will go back and visit again and we would recommend the Hartness House Inn Bed and Breakfast to everyone we know.
M & T

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 August 2011

Our room was great, me and my wife loved every second of our trip.
We have stayed in many hotels and taken several trips together and this on is definitely in our top ten best trips of all time.
The atmosphere was the best, the service there was friendly and everyone carried a smile on their face. It wasnt noisy and the food a the restaraunt was delicious. The landscaping when you pull up to the building is gorgeous in itself. We were catered to from the moment we checked in to the moment we left. It was close to so many things we never had to travel far from anything and its so close to route 91 too. I would recommend this to anyone and we are so happy we chose Hartness House and are looking forward to coming back again next time we are in town.

Reviewed 7 August 2011

This inn has potential and not a lot more. Though the reservation was manual I got the feeling that this was just an old world touch. Upon check in, my reservation was 30% more than I had been quoted on the phone, but the check in process was eficient! There may be better rooms, but #12 isn't it. We chose this to have extra floor space for our 12 year old who was traveling with us. His sleeping area was between ours and the bathroom, with a floor that creaked so loud it was impossible to sleep while someone walked by. And though there was an air conditioning unit for our sleeping area, it did nothing for his sleeping space. The coffee pot outside the room (clearly labeled with a note that it would prepare coffee at 6:30 am) never came on. Thus we were happy to be on our way early in the am to the next step on our journey.

Room Tip: Be wary of room descriptions, and of prices quoted.
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 July 2011

On July 22 2011 me and my now husband were married at the Hartness Inn located in Springfield Vermont.We had such an amazing and memorable time, the Inn was very cozy and the people are very friendly and service was amazing.If you are looking for a quiet and intimate place to stay or have your wedding the Hartness Inn is the place to go.They have many different wedding packages ranging from elopements to larger size wedding.The rooms are cozy and comfortable and the food is delicious.Our special thanks goes out to Alla and Alex and the entire staff at the Hartness Inn.Thank You so much for making our wedding special and memorable.
Tamara & Andre

Reviewed 24 July 2011

My husband and I just got married at the Hartness House yesterday, July 23, 2011. We chose to do the Deluxe Elopement package with the elopement plus add-on and had 20 guests at our wedding. I believe there were two other weddings this weekend, and one was also the same day as ours, but that did not interfere at all with our ceremony/reception at all. The only problem was that those weddings were booked first, so we were not able to get either of the best available suites. We ended up staying in Lena's Room -- which was very lovely.

Of course it was the hottest weekend of the year, and the building is old -- it does have window A/C units, but it was still very warm. That was probably the worst part of the whole experience.

We arrived Friday afternoon. We were able to choose what time we wanted our breakfast in bed served Saturday morning during check-in and were giving a menu to make our breakfast selection and hang on the outside of our door later Friday evening. There was a bottle of Merlot and a bag of Lindt truffles awaiting us in the room -- yum!! We also got to choose what day & time we wanted our cheese and cracker platter to be delivered to the room (we picked Sat at 3:30 to have something to munch on while getting ready for the wedding ceremony). We did not eat dinner at the Inn Friday night. Our breakfast in bed arrived right at scheduled Saturday morning. We chose the graham & cinnamon french toast -- delicious! It was also served with a basket of blueberry muffins, french pressed coffee, orange juice, whipped cream & strawberries, tons of bacon, and a bottle of champagne. Plenty of food for two.

Saturday afternoon I met with Alla and chose how I wanted the ceremony to be set up in the Library. We chose to stand infront of the fireplace (since there was a big A/C unit in the bay window) and we had chairs from the dining room set up for guest to sit and an aisle for me to walk down the middle. That worked out best also because then I walked down the grand staircase and straight into the Library (if we had stood in front of the bay window it would have been more akward). She also showed me how the dining room would be set up -- basically one long table in the middle of the room (I think it was two or three rectangular tables in a row, with two round tables at each end). It looked very nice and made for a nice intimate setting. They had long white table linens, and very nice tablewear.

Everything to do with the ceremony was very organized. The ceremony was scheduled for 6pm. My flowers were brought up to the room around 5:30. I chose to do white flowers and they were very nice. The photographer came up to the room to take some pictures and he also was in charge of telling me when to come downstairs. The ceremony itself was very quick. The justice of the peace (Ernest) did a wonderful job. The only thing we thought was odd is that he had us do our vows twice -- not a big deal, lol. And we didn't have to the the whole "repeat after me" deal. He just read, and we said "I do/I will". Super easy! It probably took 5-10 mins total.

Dinner was scheduled for 7:30, so all the time between was for pictures and coctails. They opened the tavern so guests could have drinks while we were doing photos. The photographer took lots of pictures, and probably would have taken more, but we were so hot and miserable because of the temperature outside that we had him stop early.

Dinner was delicious. My only complaint is that we paid $49 per guest, and in multiple spots on their website it says that it's for a five course dinner -- it definitely was not five courses. There was salad, the entrees and cake. So I feel like we were a bit ripped off in that aspect -- but it wasn't too big of a deal, I didn't say anything to the inn about it. The salad was a wedge of romaine lettuce with garlic soaked tomatoes (so good) and carmelized onions, with a raspberry vinegarette dressing. We chose chicken and beef as the two entree selections. The chicken was Chicken Cordon Bleu and it was really good. The beef was NY Strip Steak, it was good too, but the chicken was better. Both came with really good mashed potatoes, broccolli, and delicious carrots. The cake I was really worried about, because they have some pictures of cakes in their wedding planner and they are very tacky, but our cake was very nice. Just enough to feed all of the guests too. It was a two tier yellow cake with plain white frosting, decorated with simple frosting flowers. Not tacky at all. I was very pleased. The taste of the cake was fine. Nothing spectacular, but still good. We did get a champagne toast and guests were offered champagne or gingerale. The waitstaff was great during dinner.

We did not get a disc of our pictures before we left, as I've read people did in other reviews. It wasn't Alex taking our pictures, they had a real photographer do it, and he'll be mailing us a disc in a week or so with all the pictures. Alex took some pictures as well, but they did not give us those. Maybe they'll send them to us, I don't know. We forgot to ask.

Sunday morning we decided to have breakfast in the restaurant at the inn. I had eggs benedict -- very yummy. And my husband had an omlet. Again you get a basket of blueberry muffins, orange juice and coffee. And we were pleasantly surprised to find out that breakfast was included when we got the bill. We thought we'd be charged the $9.50 per person, but the bill showed a "B&B package breakfast credit" of $19.00 -- very cool.

Overall, it was a great experience. The inn is beautiful -- especially if you appreciate and love that age of arcitecture. The entire staff is wonderful and very helpful. I highly recommend having a wedding at the Hartness House. They do pretty much everything for you -- and they do it tastefully -- at a very reasonable price. We will definitely go back for another stay.

Room Tip: As long as you stay in the main house, I doubt there is a bad room. They're all unique, lovely...
1  Thank brp1627
Reviewed 19 July 2011

Hartness House Inn is quaint place that has great scenery and grand views inside the house. The museum was quite interesting and the ambience and people were so warm and easy to talk to. We would definitely suggest this place for a small, romantic getaway from your busy life!!!

Room Tip: the charles linburg room is the best room!!!
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Springfield
Holiday Inn Express Springfield
Inn Victoria
Inn Victoria
#1 of 9 in Chester
Holiday Inn Club Vacations Mount Ascutney Resort

Been to Hartness House? Share your experiences!