This place is like a 1940's movie star. Absolutely gorgeous in it's prime but now it's nothing but old, fat, and run-down! I stayed here at Christmas time and was in the main house. The room was so small I hit myself with the door every time I opened it. The fixtures were either broken or falling off. The radiator didn't work so they put a space heater in the room sitting on top of the radiator - slightly illegal?? Anyhow - I didn't write a review at that point because I thought - maybe it was just a fluke. I was just there last weekend again for Alumni weekend. This time I stayed in one of the motel rooms out back because I didn't plan on being in the room all that much. Holy Cow - from the moment I walked into the building an overwhelming mold and mildew odor enveloped me. I walked into the room and the window was wide open. I closed it and quickly I realized why. It smelled in the room also. The furniture was walmart quality. There was no coffee maker, no ice bucket, one bar of soap and one tube of shampoo in the bathroom - that's it! The shampoo looked as though it had either leaked or was refilled - which judging by the surroundings it wouldn't surprise me if they had refilled the bottle. There was what looked like a make-shift closet in the room. I opened the door - guess what - it was a water heater! No lie! The water heater was in the room itself!! Not even going to talk about the 25" grandpa TV in the room that didn't carry the local stations. Well - I quickly dropped my stuff on the bureau because I didn't dare leave it on the floor, and left for the day. Got back late that night and got into bed. Sheets were very itchy - I was so tired though that I didn't get up to complain and thought - I hope I don't have marks on me in the morning. Fortunately I didn't when I got up in the morning. I went to turn on the water in the shower and black, and green sludge came out of the spout. I let the water run and eventually it cleared out but that was one of the quickest showers ever!
At check out I wasn't asked how my stay was (which they probably already knew) and the lady had an attitude so I thought "probably am not going to win this battle here so why even try.)
This place used to be a prime spot for everything! Not anymore! Other than breakfast at $9.50 per person, there is no food service. You would think that for $119 per night in a crappy smelly room the least they could do is include some type of continental breakfast! Even Super 8 motels have a continental breakfast!! They do have a bar but it's not open late. The condition of the rooms is horrible - most of the place is old, falling apart, smells of mold and mildew. The parking lot is in desperate need of repair. Years ago one could brag about staying at the Hartness House - now when you tell people where you're staying they say "oh - really??" It's really bad. Go to the Common Man Inn in Claremont instead!
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotel.de, HRS, Priceline, Odigeo, Hotels.com and Agoda so you can book your Hartness House reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hartness House Hotel Springfield
- Hartness House Springfield, Vermont