“Not even close to what it was” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hartness House

Hartness House
Ranked #1 of 2 Springfield B&B and Inns
Poughkeepsie, New York
“Not even close to what it was”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 June 2013

This place is like a 1940's movie star. Absolutely gorgeous in it's prime but now it's nothing but old, fat, and run-down! I stayed here at Christmas time and was in the main house. The room was so small I hit myself with the door every time I opened it. The fixtures were either broken or falling off. The radiator didn't work so they put a space heater in the room sitting on top of the radiator - slightly illegal?? Anyhow - I didn't write a review at that point because I thought - maybe it was just a fluke. I was just there last weekend again for Alumni weekend. This time I stayed in one of the motel rooms out back because I didn't plan on being in the room all that much. Holy Cow - from the moment I walked into the building an overwhelming mold and mildew odor enveloped me. I walked into the room and the window was wide open. I closed it and quickly I realized why. It smelled in the room also. The furniture was walmart quality. There was no coffee maker, no ice bucket, one bar of soap and one tube of shampoo in the bathroom - that's it! The shampoo looked as though it had either leaked or was refilled - which judging by the surroundings it wouldn't surprise me if they had refilled the bottle. There was what looked like a make-shift closet in the room. I opened the door - guess what - it was a water heater! No lie! The water heater was in the room itself!! Not even going to talk about the 25" grandpa TV in the room that didn't carry the local stations. Well - I quickly dropped my stuff on the bureau because I didn't dare leave it on the floor, and left for the day. Got back late that night and got into bed. Sheets were very itchy - I was so tired though that I didn't get up to complain and thought - I hope I don't have marks on me in the morning. Fortunately I didn't when I got up in the morning. I went to turn on the water in the shower and black, and green sludge came out of the spout. I let the water run and eventually it cleared out but that was one of the quickest showers ever!

At check out I wasn't asked how my stay was (which they probably already knew) and the lady had an attitude so I thought "probably am not going to win this battle here so why even try.)

This place used to be a prime spot for everything! Not anymore! Other than breakfast at $9.50 per person, there is no food service. You would think that for $119 per night in a crappy smelly room the least they could do is include some type of continental breakfast! Even Super 8 motels have a continental breakfast!! They do have a bar but it's not open late. The condition of the rooms is horrible - most of the place is old, falling apart, smells of mold and mildew. The parking lot is in desperate need of repair. Years ago one could brag about staying at the Hartness House - now when you tell people where you're staying they say "oh - really??" It's really bad. Go to the Common Man Inn in Claremont instead!

Room Tip: Go to the Common Man Inn in Claremont!
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank BusiTraveler21

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
Detroit, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 May 2013 via mobile

We had such a fantastic time with everyone because we didn't have to concentrate on a bunch of little details. The food was very good, the service was top notch. We'd highly recommend the Hartness House for any event.

Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank TheFatArmadillo
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 April 2013

Helped some friends plan their parent's 50th Anniversary, which was held at the Hartness House. There was an initial slip up with getting my contact and event information to the proper person. I had left the info with someone at the front desk several times. Was thinking that it wasn't going to work out, since I hadn't heard from anyone. But then I did get a call from Alla and everything went smoothly from there. She was extremely helpful in all aspects of the event and really gave some wonderful suggestions on making in happen just the way it should. She is very insightful in creating the perfect event. Everything went without a hitch. The service, ambiance and food were all perfect. My friends parents were extremely happy and it was a great afternoon. Thanks for everything.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank ABP343
Austin, Texas, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 March 2013

Staying at the Hartness House seems more like staying at a friend's house than a hotel stay. This comes with its unique pros and cons of course, though I do believe the Pros heavily outweigh the cons.

CONS:
I'll start with the cons, as I believe they deserve to be mentioned so you know what you're going into: though I do want to stress that the positives make these nitpicks virtually obsolete.

For one, the house is very old, and while this delivers tons of charm, the guest rooms could use a bit of modern updating to make them more warm and inviting. The couch especially had flat cushions and a slipcover that needed replacing. The TV was an older model as well, and therefore was large and looked very out of place in the otherwise Victorian-looking room. Replacing the TV with a newer flat-panel would have opened up the room and been much more discrete. The carpets also could use replacing; they were clean they just looked very dated and worn.

I loved the Victorian charm, however, I would ditch the fake flowers. They tend to collect dust and going without or providing fresh flowers when guests are booked would have gone a long way to make the room feel more cozy and less like grandmother's house.

Lastly, the jets in our jetted tub didn't work (At least I couldn't get them to). I didn't even bother to complain about them, though, as I honestly just didn't care - but they should have been tested before a guest comes to stay in my opinion.

PROS:
The house is beautiful. Especially if you're a fan of Victorian-style mansions, this beautiful estate is the former governor's mansion and sits atop the town hill and is just lovely. We're from Texas, so it was a treat for us that it was nestled in white virgin snow; so picturesque.

It was very clean. I believe people confuse "Old" and "dirty" in many reviews so I want to point out that the room was very clean and the housekeeping did a good job of keeping it that way. While there were a few "worn" places in the room carpet or wallpaper; cleanliness wasn't an issue.

The linens were crisp and the bed was fairly comfortable, especially for a small bed and breakfast venue. I felt the bed was more comfortable than most beds you find in most standard hotel rooms.

The room size (once again, especially for a small B&B venue) were spacious and charming. There were romantic books and poems to poke through, and plenty of closet space which allowed you put up all your clothes and luggage and really let the room breathe and feel like home.

Our dinner at their in-house restaurant was delicious, as was the impressive in-room breakfast service we got everyday.

But, the thing that really made out stay shine was the hospitality and personal attention you got as a guest. The staff was amazingly friendly and personable. They seemed genuinely interested in you and making sure your stay was memorable.

We got the "Deluxe Elope" and I would recommend it a thousand times over for anyone looking for a small but intimate venue. Especially considering the cost - it's an outstanding value.

We came in to elope from out of state and they took care of EVERYTHING. They helped up get our license (its super easy, you don't even have to leave the small town of Springfield), gave us suggestions for sight-seeing and eating out, provided the officiant, provided flowers (we even got some say on the color, even with less than a day's notice), our wedding toast, dinner, cake, and photography.

The photographer was so friendly and professional. He had a great eye for attractive shots, let us do a few of our own ideas, and we didn't feel rushed at all. I also loved how he had some great suggestions for poses, locations, angles…everything. Not only that, but the photos were ready for us the next morning! Since this was an out-of-state elope, none of our family and friends were there so having good photography was very important for us and I was thrilled with the result.

If you're considering eloping in Vermont, please consider the Harness House. They will make your day feel very special :)

Room Tip: If you can, stay in the main house.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Kamiki77
Cairns, Queensland, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 March 2013

Thank you Alla and all at Hartness House for making our 3 night stay most enjoyable. We felt very much at home in this lovely old house with so much history. We had travelled over from Australia and got fabulous personalised service, even down to Tom the piano player in the restaurant who was simply charming. The quality of the food and service was superb and we felt very special staying in such a lovely place. We have already planned to come back in June and are so looking forward to it. We highly recommend Hartness House!

3 Thank Debbie N
Somers, New York
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2013

This Carriage House is also the Harness House. It is run down, shabby and does not provide heat to customers. Beware of a business that changes its name often. We stayed in 19 degree weather and foolishly thought we would have a heated room. Not so. Instead, they gave us a small, inadequate, over worked space heater whose plug became too hot to touch. It was plugged in with an adapter so that it could draw electric from an antiquated outlet. In addition, the bed had no box spring, the "suite" had a tired, dirty wall to wall rug in it. The shower had on and off hot water. They charge prime rates for all of that! Stay away and save your money!!!

Room Tip: Stay away. Overpriced and over tacky!
2 Thank debra B
Somers, New York
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2013

If you are into tacky, musty rooms, with no central heat, by all means pay the prime prices charged by the Hartness House. It is located at the end of a depressed neighborhood. It looks shabby from the outside and it has a huge silver propane tank in the front parking lot. There are soaking wet rugs on the front porch to cover broken tiles or cement. Our two room suite was heated by only a small space heater that had an adapter so that it could be plugged into the two pronged ancient wall socket. We froze. The shower water is hard to regulate. Not at all worth the money they charge. Tacky fake flowers decorated the canopy bed that had no box spring.

Room Tip: The two room hartness suite is over their banquet hall. all rooms are heated by space heaters.
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank debra B
Also consider these accommodations in or near Springfield
Holiday Inn Express Springfield
#1 of 9 in Chester
The Inn at Weathersfield
The Inn at Weathersfield
#1 of 2 in Perkinsville

Been to Hartness House? Share your experiences!