“A good place to go!!”

Ranked #1 of 2 Springfield B&B and Inns
Claremont, New Hampshire
“A good place to go!!”
Reviewed 18 May 2014

I regularly have dinner at the Hartness House. I love it. The Russian menu is especially good. I have tried the Chicken Kiev, Salmon Kuleybeka, and Beef Stroganoff. All I can say is excellent. Even the vegetables are done perfectly and delicious. I would certainly recommend going to the Hartness House for dinner you can't get a nicer meal and the service was excellent. I enjoyed the quiet candlelight atmosphere. I am local to this area and proud that we have such a fine establishment to go to and dine.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Deborah J

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
Ogunquit, Maine
Reviewed 12 January 2014

My sister and I were guests at the Hartness House on 12/31/13. We had one more day to go on a cross country trip from NM, and how nice it was to get to a cozy Vermont inn. There were many period furnishings, keeping the inn authentic. Lovely decorated trees infused a very festive feeling. There was a several course gourmet dinner served that evening….delightful! Also, there was a 12 piece band who were wonderful…all the 'ole big band sound. Sadly, they had an entire room to themselves, for we were all dining in the next room as they were playing. We both were travel weary, but would have loved to stay up till midnight for the inn's champagne toast with other goodies included. We didn't make it that late…darn! However, we had a lovely breakfast the next morning. They have a resident doctor there, who happens to be our friend. He treated us to everything ~ and we thank you!! It was above and beyond and we were grateful. Alla was lovely and helpful, as was all the staff. Max, the black lab, was a good doggie! Thank you Hartness House!!

Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Edmond, Oklahoma
Reviewed 29 December 2013

I apologize for this length of this, but no less would be a disservice. From the moment we arrived, we just knew it was perfect. A grand, elegant gem sitting atop Springfield, Vermont. This Christmas trip was my gift to my husband, and well I certainly benefitted, too. Unbelieveably, planning for this trip started in April 2012 when I discovered Hartness House. After confusion in 2012, and a phone call from the Hartness House, we all learned there had been a huge misfire on the 2012 trip. Until a phone call last December 2012 from Hartness House about our "late arrival" that night with instructions upon our arrival, I knew the trip wasn't going to happen. We were at our home...in 2012.

We phoned and immediately identified the gap in communications, or my technological glitch. We, ummm I, should have phoned. This was not our normal destination site, my husband makes the reservations and we were concerned. (The real misfire was my online booking and not following up.) Instead, Alla, the Hartness House proprietor, worked with us to book this White Christmas gift one year later in 2013. Amazing!!! More amazing was our cancelled flight and another 2 day delay due to an ice storm in 2013. We phoned again. As panicked and disappointed as we were, Alla assured us everything would be fine. We have never rebooked a trip one year later, but I was going to make this happen.

I especially chose the Hartness House because of the rooms, the history and the location. The rooms were exactly as we expected: warm, period-furnished rooms. James Hartness, a wealthy Springfield inventor, astronomer, business owner and governor of Vermont completed the home in 1904-1905. So, period rooms would not be accurately furnished with comtemporary sofas, chairs, etc. Instead, two "secretary" desks, sofa, period dressing table in the bedroom and in this room a queen-sized bed. The bed was an unnecessary concern as we slept in the most comfortable bed. The bath was great with a jacuzzi tub/shower, towel racks, wicker stand for extra space and actually a larger bath. Definitely super clean!

The room had a radiator, no longer used, and this added to the charm. Heat was not a problem at all. Our room had two closets, great sitting in a bay window, a faux bear rug and beautiful, shiny wood floors with period rugs. Since we came for my husband's "bucket list" "White Christmas" Alla found the movie and "Holiday Inn" in their large collection of movies to watch on the room's DVD player. No it's not a flat screen. We have these a home, and we were getting away from home!!!

The history of James Hartness is beyond one's comprehension. Born in 1861, we marveled at the observatory, telescopes, lenses, photos and a book written by his granddaughter. A tunnel from the inn to the observatory about 200 feet underground is available for private tours. We just asked and they were ready before we were. We are keenly observant and watch for off-peak times, when the staff are available to take a once-in-lifetime tour of an observatory, study, library all built underground in the 1920's. The observatory is in use nearly 100 years later! The Number 1 attraction in Sprinfield, Vermont should be Hartness House and the observatory. I can't believe it isn't.

The Pushkin Restaurant at the Hartness House is a destination restaurant for many, with delectable entrees. I didn't want to share my appetizer pastries and my husband didn't want to share his bacon-wrapped scallops. The entrees, Chicken Kiev and Beef Tenderloin, were cooked to perfection, hot and so delicious.

We hiked through the grounds on Christmas Eve with the very cautious staff warnings that darkness comes early in Vermont, take cell phones and try not to get lost! My photos were terrific of this breathtaking walk into the paths marked by Governor Hartness for visitors with bridges over brooks, signs with arrows and the quiet serenity of these peaceful, snow covered woods. Warmer socks would have kept me walking!!!

We were so "at home" we left our door unlocked, we left the door open, met a particular guest and new friend, and felt comfortable and welcomed in the perfect, warm hospitable Hartness House. Hospitable doesn't give Alla and her husband, and staff, the credit they deserve. Sadly, we had to leave Saturday with directions and warm blueberry muffins for our drive to the airport. To my delight, we also left with reservations to return in 2014 - in the summer and again in the winter!

We never got the chance to watch "Holiday Inn" with Bing Crosby and Fred Astaire and Alla loaned it to me! I couldn't believe it. They treat people with humanity, an unmatched gracious style I will never forget. Everyone should experience Hartness House and enjoy a time we thought we knew from 100 years ago, easy, quiet, warm, hospitable, genuine and welcoming. So, thankful for this special trip delayed by one year - Hartness House was worth the wait to experience this grand, significant, historical site (on the National Register of Historic Places), enjoy unmatched hospitality and see our White Christmas in Vermont!

Room Tip: The rooms are all different with different designs, furnishings and colors. I was given a tour and...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank RikiUSA
Austin, Texas
Reviewed 30 October 2013

We picked Vermont for our wedding. After searching several sites, we selected the Hartness House Inn as our venue. They had an elopement package that suited our needs and the entire process was painless; they took care of everything...right down the piano player during dinner. This is the cutest B&B with so much character and charm. Alla and Alex (the Innkeepers) were the perfect hosts and created a relaxing, romantic atomsphere. The food was delicious, especially the blue berry muffins and cheese platter. Yummy!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Debora645
Dover, New Hampshire
Reviewed 29 October 2013

My Parents had their wedding reception at Harness House in 1963. Then, it was one of the premier Inns in the area. We had their 25th anniversary there when I was in high school and it had lost some of it's former luster. We were all very pleased to experience the renewed quality of the inn for my parents 50th anniversary this spring. The food was excellent, they were very accommodating to our party plans and the rooms were fine. I think we'll have to come back before their 75th...

Room Tip: The rooms are exactly the way they are described in the web site.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Willy S
Rutland, Vermont, United States
Reviewed 18 September 2013

We picked the Hartness House to have our wedding. We could not have asked for a more perfect place. The Staff is so pleasent and Alla was so helpful and easy to work with. The photographs from the wedding are spectacular. Every single one of our family members remarked on how good the food tasted. The Spa is the icing on the cake, definitely the high point of the package. It makes you feel like youre in heaven. The best thing from the trip was the smile on my new wifes face that didnt leave the whole time we were there. History behind the Inn is amazing along with a tour of the underground tunnels and Telescope Rooms. A must visit for anyone looking for peace and quiet or a Romantic getaway. Love Love Love this place!!!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Garrett L
Providence, Rhode Island
Reviewed 26 August 2013

We came to visit The Hartness House in Feb. We just fell in love with this place. We decided to get married at The Hartness House, July 27th. The staff was very helpful and easy to work with in making our day very special. All of my guest raved about the food and how pleasant everyone was. I look forward to going back for weekend trips. Staff very friendly and welcoming, Rooms very clean and comfortable, it's like being home away from home.

Room Tip: We have stayed in 3 different rooms over the past 4 months, they are all great.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Ann H
Also consider these accommodations in or near Springfield
Holiday Inn Express Springfield
#1 of 1 in Claremont
Halladay's Harvest Barn Inn
Halladay's Harvest Barn Inn
#1 of 3 in Bellows Falls

Been to Hartness House? Share your experiences!