Common Ground Center
Sonesta ES Suites Burlington(Williston)(Great Value!)
US$120
US$116
Courtyard Burlington Williston(Williston)(Great Value!)
US$177
Days Inn Shelburne/burlington(Shelburne)(Great Value!)
US$92
Fairfield Inn Burlington Williston(Williston)(Great Value!)
US$105
Fairfield Inn
Quality Inn Shelburne(Shelburne)(Great Value!)
US$82
G.G.T. Tibet Inn(Burlington)
US$76
US$69
Comfort Suites South Burlington(South Burlington)(Great Value!)
US$108
ComfortSuites
US$139
HIExpress.com
Basin Harbor(Vergennes)
No availability for your dates from our partners
All reviewsbathhousecampfirearcheryaccommodationshikelodge
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 31 August 2010

My family and I have been going to Camp Common Ground Family Summer Camp for the past 4 years. Sister, mother and sister in law, nephew have also joined a few times. My 6 year old is in heaven. He plays all day long in a safe, friendly, clean and fun environment. There is Kidville in the mornings, where they have activities, games and outings for his age group. As we leave each year, he always says he wants to live there.
I sometimes choose to participate in many of the adult workshops they offer: non-violent communication, glass beading, dance, yoga, theater improv, music, hikes... and sometimes i choose to do nothing, to simply relax, delight in the fresh healthy delicious meals and enjoy myself in the hammock gazing stars or appreciating the gorgeous and peaceful scenery of Vermont. There is a nice pond for a quick swim and Bristol Falls near by is always fun and refreshing. Staff and families who attend are incredibly open minded, laid back and easy going. And there is plenty of room for being alone and quiet too and enjoy nature at its best. It feels like family, good family! I simply love being there. It is a magical place where you can just be and there is enough. We just came back a couple of weeks ago and I already look forward to being there again next year. See you!

Reviewed 30 August 2010

This is a beautiful setting with incredibly delicious food. The structure -- where kids are busy in the mornings, then with their families in the afternoon -- is great (not that I saw my teens much) and the staff is abundant and helpful. We had a great time!

Reviewed 22 August 2010

The three weeks my family spent at Camp Common Ground was filled with music, arts, nature exploration, and community gatherings. We enjoyed the mix of having scheduled activities, like Glass Mosaic workshops, with the leisure to just swim in the picturesque pond or lie in the hammock. Highlights of camp included playing chamber music (for the very first time), eating incredibly delicious freshly prepared meals, and listening to the creek. The grounds are well-kept and the scenery is exquisitely beautiful. The brand new kitchen staff happily accommodates specific dietary restrictions while preparing meals for all of the campers. Think of this place as an all-inclusive vacation.
Downsides? Tents and cabins don't have their own plumbing or electricity (obviously) but a new lodge is being built.

Reviewed 22 August 2008

This was our first time at CCG with kids. We have camped many times and have gone to summer camp so our expectations were reasonable. The camp is beautiful and it is clear the owners care a lot about the camp and program. That said- it was not a good match for our family. In my opinion this camp is best suited for very laid back, communal, nature based families, specifically in terms of lifestyle and mind set. And although we eat organic food and consider ourselves eco aware, the feeling of the camp for us was overwhelmingly "hippie" for lack of better word. The bathrooms got dirtier as the week went on, the food was great, but the lettuce was sandy often, kids were left unsupervised by parents to the point of irritation. Quite hours were not respected, program offerings kept changing, teachers did not show, lack of afternoon offerings etc.

Many of the people there also work there. So there is this mix of staff participating in the workshops then leaving 1/2 way through to go clean the kitchen etc... I was never quite clear on who was working there or who was a camper- it seems people try to find a way to stay longer than they can afford, so they barter.

The kitchen is a screened in building and the sitting area is on the front porch right against the kitchens screened wall. I had to move off the porch several times due to the intensive arguing and processing of the kitchen staff coming through the screen.

I did participate in a few sessions that were good and enjoyable. the music teachers are talented and helpful.

While my family will not be returning, it was clear that many people loved it there and had a great week.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
5  Thank otrgirl
Reviewed 22 August 2006

Our family just returned from a week at Camp Common Ground in Starksboro, Vermont. We have children aged 7 and 11. All four of us gave CCG "Two Thumbs Up!" Camp Common Ground is a Camp for the entire family with meals and programs for everyone.

The menu is vegetarian and I initially thought this might be a problem for my sometimes picky eaters, but the food was really good and at every meal my family always found something they liked (pizza, cheesy pasta, french toast, fresh bread, muffins). I, on the other hand, had the opportunity to try a variety of vegetarian dishes that I never get to have (tempeh, tofu etc..). My picky husband even gained weight!

Our family chose to stay in one of the many unique cabins on the property, but many families camped in tents. During our stay, there were people from an international organization called "Volunteers for Peace" who were building "tent platforms" that I imagine will benefit future tent campers. CCG also has a very comfortable and modern bathhouse with nice hot showers.

Having never been to a "Family Camp" before I didn't know what to expect. If you are considering the "family camp" experience, I would recommend a visit to the CCG website at [--] . It gives a very good overview of the types of programming available for both children and adults. There are also many pictures of accomodations and the property. During the week we were there, some of the activities we were able to try included..painted floor cloths, circus arts, wheel thrown pottery, origami, photography, swimming, basketry,...and there were others.

Our younger children really enjoyed themselves, but I noticed other families with older children, teenagers, and it seemed to me that it was a great opportunity for those families to connect as well.

This vacation was an experience my family will not soon forget. There was more to this place than its' physical attributes. The staff, volunteers and the other campers (from all walks of life) created an atmosphere of cooperation and inclusion that made us all feel like family. We will definitely return next year.

• Stayed: July 2006, travelled with family