“Golden Eagle”

Ranked #10 of 24 Hotels in Stowe
Colonia, New Jersey
“Golden Eagle”
Reviewed 4 November 2013

The room was very clean and neat. The employees were friendly and accommodating. The breakfast was filling and delicious. Although we did not use the indoor pool it looked very enticing.
Next visit we would definitely use the pool. Geat stay.

Room Tip: We had a beautiful view of the mountains and a small pond.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (215)
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 4 November 2013

We booked our two night stay with a Living Social deal however we paid for an upgrade to a Premier Suite. The deal included a free bottle of wine and a $25 voucher towards the spa. Our room was very clean, large and comfortable. We had breakfast at the Colonial Café one morning. The service was very friendly. The breakfast was very average and over priced. The spa facilities are great. I did call a week prior and spoke to the spa manager to book two 90 minute massages. I explained to him that our insurance pays for a portion of the massages and that we need "official receipts" from their licensed massage therapies. It was a lot of work to get the receipts. It wasn't something that they were asked for before. We are hoping that the receipts supplied will be sufficient. Despite this annoyance, we enjoyed our stay at the Golden Eagle Resort.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple

Montreal
Reviewed 4 November 2013

This was not our first visit to the Golden Eagle, however, it was our first time staying in the Tall Timbers cabin of the resort. It was perfect! I loved the cabin, the surroundings, the peace and quiet. I would definitely stay there again, and I would definitely stay in any suite at the Golden Eagle!

Room Tip: All rooms are good, can't go wrong in choosing.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple

Sittingbourne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 November 2013

This set up reminds me of a very superior motel in a good location with wonderful amenities. It was within easy walking distance of Stowe and in its own grounds, so was beautifully quiet. I cannot make a comment about value for money as we visited for 3 nights with a touring group.

Loads of good things going for it ....... the staff were friendly and helpful. Clean, small swimming pool with 2 free towels. Well maintained sauna and hot-tub. Gym with helpful instructor at the desk. Lovely grounds and lots of places to park. The reception area and lounge was welcoming with hot drinks all day and biscuits in the afternoon. Our room was very large and even had a fridge. Fantastic TV. Writing desk, in fact, everything you could need.

Two aspects of the bedroom do need addressing. Firstly, the smell of toilet duct was overpowering, really bad. I mentioned this to the deputy manager and she said that "sometimes the water company flush through the system". Although the smell dissipated over the 3 days I could still smell it. Secondly, the bedding needed renewing. The sheets were worn thin and the blanket had a hole in it.

I do not feel that I can make a proper judgement about breakfast because I only had toast but other members of our party said that service was muddled and slow. Breakfast was in the café which was a pleasant walk from the chalet.

I am sorry that I can't give this accommodation more than 'average' but the linen and the smell have dragged my rating down.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
North Walsham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 October 2013 via mobile

Easy check in. Helpful and friendly staff. 100% Clean. What a wonderful location for visiting this area. The lobby is extremely warm and welcoming and restful. The free coffee helps too! A great place just to chill or meet new get acquainted with fellow travellers if you're that way inclined. We would certainly recommend Golden Eagle Resort to fellow travellers.

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Newport, Rhode Island
Reviewed 29 October 2013

The Stowe area is beautiful and this place is nice. We spent 2 nights. The first night our key wouldn't work but that was because the door was locked from the inside so that was our fault. It was a nice place but likely would find something nicer next time.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
Orillia
Reviewed 28 October 2013

I recently returned from 5 nights at the Golden Eagle. This is my second visit and I wasn't disappointed. I arrived a bit early and John and Mark checked me in quickly. I had asked for the same room as the one I had last year in the Upper Alpine Wing near the café.
The resort is everything you'd expect from a New England resort - cosy, warm, comfortable and clean. If you are looking for a 12 story building, very modern with lots of chrome and glass, don't come here. There are a variety of rooms spread throughout this large property. I like nothing better than to walk to the reception area past a trout pond while smelling a wood-burning fire. The reception area is comfortable with lots of couches and chairs with a fireplace and tea, coffee and cookies served there in the afternoon.
The staff have to be the best in the U. S. I find they'll try really hard to help with whatever you need and are very friendly. I love the breakfast in the café - lots of choices and delicious and again, the staff are great.
There is a nice, large outdoor pool which was just closing when I arrived. The indoor pool is well-maintained as is the large hot tub. There is also an exercise room and games room along with a spa in the same building which I didn't use but looked inviting.
The resort is situated right by the recreational path that goes from the village of Stowe all the way to the mountains, great for walking, running or biking on. I took many beautiful pictures while walking along this path this Fall. Behind the resort there are great walking trails too. I found I really didn't need my car to go "to town" because it's only about a 12 minute walk away. There are restaurants and bars right across the road from the Golden Eagle and many others a short distance away.
I think if you book directly through the Golden Eagle and give them an idea of what kind of a room you'd like (i.e. secluded, near the pool, by the trout pond, etc.) they are good at suggesting an appropriate room for you.
This is becoming a tradition with my family because my son and his wife come to join me from Boston for a couple of nights. Last year they reserved in time, this year they were too late and ended up staying down the road for the same price but with far less amenities.
I am really looking forward to coming back and I've already booked my room!

Room Tip: Book early to get the room you want.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family