“Disappointing”

Ranked #4 of 24 Hotels in Stowe
GreenLeadersGold level
“Disappointing”
Reviewed 10 May 2014 via mobile

There staff communication skills are horrible. I went there for a four diamond experience . It was more like 2 star. There spa staff was rude and not accommodating. There locker room facilities were dirty n old. I will never go back here Ibwould rather pay the extra money and stay at stowe mountain lodge up the road. Very clean great staff and beautiful place and property. There spa is ten times better.. Top notch was not a top notch experience. My waitress Naomi was rude and made me wait over 15 minutes to get drinks. Then another 30 mins to order food after telling we are ready to order.

• Stayed May 2014
4 Thank JLongfellow

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (198)
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 22 April 2014

I'm told Topnotch was recently completely renovated; so much so that the lobby (main building) was demolished and rebuilt from scratch. I don't know what it looked like before but I have to say that it's a beautiful resort, clean, decorated in soothing and warm tones, with state of the art technology in the rooms (flat screen TV that you can plug your laptop or any other device in for example). And wifi is complimentary everywhere! The Spa is big without becoming "soulless". They have 3 pools, one indoor with sunroof windows and plenty of chairs to lounge in and two outside, including one with salt water which is heated and open all year long. Did I mention the 2 whirlpools, the sauna and the mist room that are accessible to all guests?!

Now enough about the buildings and grounds, let's talk about the service. My husband and I went there during Easter weekend, which is a sort of in-between seasons period for Stowe so a lot of places are closed. Carole, the concierge, and the whole staff at front desk were very good at finding us restaurants that were not only open but in our budget. They also offer a free shuttle service to Stowe village so I didn't have to drive when we went out on the Saturday night. Everyone from the cleaning ladies to the servers at the Roost (Anna) and Flannel (Noelle) to the Sales people (especially Diane) were friendly and nice and happy to help.

I will rate the food when I write a separate review for each restaurant but all in all, we had a fantastic time at Topnotch!

Room Tip: Get a 3rd floor room if you can, the view is better!
Falmouth, Massachusetts
Reviewed 20 April 2014

My sister and I have been to Topnotch three times together. It's a wonderful place to get away, relax and feel special! We like to go during the off season and we took advantage of the Vermont for Vermonters special. The room was clean and cozy, the art in the room was beautiful. We ate at The Roost, which was new to us since the last time we'd been to Topnotch, the food was DELICIOUS and the service was perfect. We love the pools, especially outside… we float and chat, and swim… with a BEAUTIFUL view of the mountains looming up over us. Dreamy and magical to say the least. The staff was amazing, very accommodating and pleasant. We look forward to our next visit… hopefully sooner than later!!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Burlington, Vermont
Reviewed 10 April 2014

I'm a Vermonter and I am delighted when visitors and locals enjoy this great state. We took advantage of the Vermont for Vermonters at Topnotch this week. We have been here about 25 times over the years, on pleasure and business. This week we enjoyed Topnotch for the second time since the remodeling.

The room was beautiful, clean and nicely appointed. The check in was friendly and efficient.
Dinner at Flannel was excellent. We had the beef tartare, the deconstructed oyster blt. a kale caesar, the scallops and the chicken. We are food folks and are very aware of what we are eating. We sat at the Chef's counter, watched him cook, and were treated to a good flow of information on what was being prepared. The waitstaff was pleasant and competent.

Breakfast was equally good, Flannel hash and eggs Benedict on what appeared to be a Wolferman's muffin, a nice touch.

I had no complaints and some kudoos. UNTIL, check out. My husband checked out and I met him outside. On our way back to Burlington I asked if we had gotten our Vermont for Vermonters 25% reduction on food. He told me that he had been told that began 4/21. I accepted that thinking I had misread. When I got home I checked again, and there it was, clearly indicating the Vermont offer. I called, spoke with a front desk person who said he would call me back right away. About 90 minutes later he called back, said that 4/21 was the start date for the offer and said he would credit our breakfast at 25% less. At this point, my effort was to make a point. I walked him through the web site where it clearly indicates the offer. He was still resistant and implied he was doing me a favor. I am honestly not sure what happened here, I told him that if this offer was on the web, all Vermonters should enjoy the posted offer.
The conversation was left with the young man indicating he would have to talk with his revenue manager. I suggested the revenue manager call me so I could clarify my point first hand.
This discussion was on principal, not the $6 I would receive from a discounted breakfast.

Does any of this subtract from the good food, the lovely room, the delightful young man at check in, no, but it leaves me with a funny feeling that the "back of the house" is not in order.

Room Tip: Even number rooms look toward Mansfield
1 Thank Rosemary D
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 9 April 2014

We spent last Saturday at the beautiful Topnotch hotel. It was our first time in Stowe and we were hesitating between Stowe Mountain Lodge and Topnotch. We often travel and prefer modern-looking hotel so we picked Topnotch. The hotel itself is beautiful, the grounds are very nice, and the pool and jacuzzi outside are a great bonus, however the service is far from what you would expect from such an hotel. Greeting was cold, and we received a not-so-plaisant call from the reception at night saying that we hadn't given them our credit card number even though it had been requested upon our arrival (it had not been requested, which actually surprised us as it's customary to leave a credit card number; we don't appreciate being blame for something that we didn't do; the person should have just ask for our credit card instead of insinuating that we hadn't comply with his request). Finally, after spending approx. $800 in 1 night, we asked the reception on Sunday morning if we could leave the room as little bit later (1 hour later so noon instead of 11am) as we wanted to order breakfast in bed and use the spa before leaving the hotel. Even though the hotel was far from being full, we were told that it would cost us 10% of our executive room rate (for which we paid more than $500). We spent only 1 night, but it was enough for us as we didn't feel welcome or valued as guest. We were quite disappointed as that night was a special night for us, but your staff certainly didn't help making it special.

2 Thank Jacynthe A
Reviewed 2 April 2014 via mobile

Visited Topnotch for a conference. Rooms were lovely and spacious. Huge closet, fridge, comfy beds. Walls are super thin, you can hear everything that goes on in hall, next door and upstairs.
We ate at Flannel for just about every meal and each was amazing! Great presentation, delicious food!
Very nice, pricey but beautiful.

Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Stowe, Vermont
Reviewed 30 March 2014

Gorgeous setting, a first class renovation of an already "topnotch" resort.
The new eatery, Flannel, is similar to the old, Norma's.
They now have a new bar called "The Roost" which is not as cozy as the old "Buttertub"
but is much more user friendly and always open.

The staff is constantly professional,
especially JESSICA...... in the spa who really went out of her way to coordinate services.

I am a long time spa member and really feel V.I.P. whenever I bring guests.

Room Tip: Moutainside, third floor.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends