“Highly Recommended”

Topnotch Resort
Ranked #3 of 24 Hotels in Stowe
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 31 July 2010

My girlfriend and I decided to spend a few days in Vermont, the first night we stayed at the Sheraton hotel in Burlington (Don't ever stay there, that was the worst hotel we've ever been to) the next day we decided to head up to Stowe, we heard there were several high quality hotels there. We first visited the Topnotch Resort and Spa Hotel, we did not make a reservation as we wanted to assess the hotel first (We were so traumatized from our experience at the Sheraton the previous night). When we first walked in, we were greeted at the front desk by a senior member of the staff named Phillip, who gave us a little history of the resort and was very helpful. I've stayed at a few hotels in my life, he is an asset to that hotel. The rest of the staff there were more than happy to show us two rooms that they had available that fit our budget, both were recently updated and very nice. After a quick tour of the rooms and grounds we decided that we didn't need to visit any other hotels and stayed for two nights. The hotel is beautiful, very clean and one can see that the staff are highly trained, good at what they do and as a bonus...very friendly. They'll go out of their way to accommodate any of your needs. There are three pools on site, a sauna, jacuzzi and a full fitness center.
We were looking for a sophisticated hotel/spa where we could truly relax for a few days in comfort, we happily found exactly that in this hotel. I would recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a high quality hotel, the price is also higher than average, but, if you are in a position to afford it; you more than get what you pay for.

Reviewed 30 July 2010

The one word I would use for the Topnotch resort is charming. It is not what I would call a luxury resort. The grounds are beautiful, the staff is very accommodating, and the concierge is very helpful. But it is not a Four Seasons or a Fairmont. It is a very well appointed and charming facility in the beautiful town of Stowe.

When you first arrive, you may get a negative impression of the exterior. My wife and I did at first. I think what they are going for is a blending in with the nature with earthy tones and such. Just don't judge the book by its cover. Its much better than its first impression may give.

Check in was speedy. We were comped an upgrade to a huge suite. We loved it. The bed was one of the best I've slept in -- ever. The furnishing were nice and comfortable as well. They should think about upgrading their entertainment center. Plain TV with average reception. Also, they could use a major upgrade in their internet services. The wireless reception in the room was excellent, but was an unsecure connection and in the evenings from about 6 to 11 pm, the bandwidth was much too slow.

They have three swimming pools, one of them adults only with resort staff bringing drinks to you. That was very nice. My wife used the fitness center and she loved it. This says a lot because she uses the fitness center of any place we stay at and she's picky about her workout center. She also used the spa and loved it as well.

The concierge is located right on the hallway leading to your room and is very accessible. The concierge's location adds a lot of value to your stay because they're always there and very up to date. Many places I've stayed at have a concierge desk but sometimes they're not there, or you have to go out of your way to use them. Not the case at the Topnotch.

All in all, we had a wonderful say, and we'll definitely be returning at some point. We loved the hotel staff and the town of Stowe, the nearby hiking trails, and the many great restaurants in the town. They were just recently bought out by a company in Wyoming (I think they said Jackson, WY), so it will be interesting to see what changes they make in the coming months.

Reviewed 21 July 2010

It was a hot July day when we arrived and the air conditioner was inadequate. We had difficulty cooling our room down. While the spa/gym are very nice, the rooms seem a bit dated (small bathrooms) and not up to the same caliber of newer luxury resorts. However, the resorts restaurant was excellent and the general service of the staff was outstanding..

Reviewed 18 July 2010

I read the reviews on the site before coming to Topnotch. I have to say that I was a bit concerned. We had won a silent auction on the tickets and I wondered if I had made a good spontaneous choice when the purchase was made. As we pulled into the resort, I expected more, perhaps the less than stellar reviews were lingering in the back of my mind. When we walked into the room, I thought it was tasteful but small and it is. When we finally used the bathroom and I saw that the hand towels has been used, I nearly blew a gasket. Instead, I called the front desk and they were prompt about swapping them out, and now I am glad that I kept my cool.Later on, on a walk to the pool, my opinions completely changed to "Wow, what a beautiful place." The rest of the tour of the spa and the restaurant solidified my impression and I was immediately grateful that we scored such a deal at the auction. However, would I pay $400 a night to stay here? No. Definitely not. There was another just as nice resort down the street advertising rates at $200 a night with a $50 credit, I'll be sure to stay posted for deals before planning, but all in all, when there is a deal...We will be back.

Reviewed 12 July 2010

We absolutely loved this hotel and resort. Unfortunately, we were only passing through the area and stayed only a single night. We promised ourselves that we'd come back here for a longer stay!

The location of the resort is great - midway down a mountain road with a great view of the green mountains of Vermont. The room that we got was very nice, with a modern, yet classic decor.

Much can be said about the staff of the hotel... great service and attention to detail. We even got a little spoiled after having mentioned during booking that this was our honeymoon trip (I simply asked for a room with a view if possible). We ended up with a room overlooking the resort and mountainside along with a bottle of bubbly and some chocolate truffles. All this on a discount booking! I was more than impressed and that's what I call going above and beyond!

A few things to mention... we enjoyed the on-site restaurant only for breakfast, but it was very good as well. We didn't get any spa treatment, but we enjoyed the interior pool and hottub, the latter of which has a waterfall (although, it can be a little noisy).

All in all, a great hotel and resort.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 July 2010

Experience a warm welcome as you arrive. We were greeted even before we entered the resort. after a 3 1/2 hour drive we were pleased to be treated so kindly .
Our standard room was perfect . Decor was European style and bedding was of high standards. very comfy.
Topnotch offers many stunning areas with in the resort to relax and have drinks. Decor is a perfect blend of luxury while offering comfort and style.
Top notch has high standards. .you will not be disappointed.
I did not have a spa service but many of my friends told me the level of spa treatments was excellent.
Expect a stunning resort offering personal service and many comforting amenities. My husband and I plan to return.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled on business
2  Thank traveler500
Reviewed 26 June 2010

We arrived on a Friday, and reluctantly left on a Monday wishing we could stay much longer! The staff were all amazing, flexible, helpful, accurate and fun. The accommodations were great, and the suite we stayed in had a Murphy Bed....which was very comfortable.
We had several meals at the resort and engaged their catering services for a large gathering as well. The catering estimate was very accurate, which was very because we were on a very tight budget. The wedding went beautifully. The tent was picture perfect. The outdoor ceremony was attended by over a hundred people, and observed by several horses in an adjacent pasture. We think Topnotch must have a weather machine....the rain stayed for about 10 minutes, and left just in time for the ceremony and did not return. The sunset was spectacular.
Food service staff were professional and flexible. Front desk staff were amazing, fun and memorable. Event planning staff were impeccable and caring. Restaurant staff were helpful and elegant. Spa/fitness staff were excellent - with yoga, stretching & Qi Gung instructors competent and caring.
We have stayed at Topnotch many times in the past, and we will continue to go there for getaways and gatherings. In the past we have brought our dog along and he was always greeted nicely and we felt like he was welcome.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank gratefulmassage
Also consider these accommodations in or near Stowe
Stowe Mountain Lodge
Field Guide
Field Guide
#7 of 24 in Stowe
The Essex, Vermont's Culinary Resort & Spa

Been to Topnotch Resort? Share your experiences!