“Can't wait to go back!”

Ranked #5 of 24 Hotels in Stowe
bergen county NJ
“Can't wait to go back!”
Reviewed 27 May 2014

The lodge itself was beautiful. It does not have the typical layout of a hotel which makes exploring it a lot of fun. We got a superior room overlooking the apple orchards. You are set apart from town but a couple a minute drive but you feel isolated and private. Despite the fact they had a bunch of people staying at the hotel we didnt see people except for in the lobby and the restaurants. It gave us a great feeling of privacy. The superior room was beautiful. It came with a fridge and microwave. Every night they turned down the bed and left an itinerary of the next day and delicious chocolates. We came up to Stowe for our honeymoon and told the hotel that. We entered our room and saw a bottle of champagne and a note congratulating us on our recent wedding. It was such a nice touch. They have lots of pictures of the family and Sound of music stuff along the walls and as decoration. Honestly we booked here because I love the movie, we will come back here because I love the lodge and the location. Slightly random but I love the scent of the shampoo and conditioner they give you. If you are going here to be surrounded by the sound of music and the von trapp family you may be disappointed. If you come here for the beauty that is Stowe and the lodge you will not be disappointed. Oh yeah they had BEAUTIFUL fresh flowers throughout the hotel and planted outside. All of the staff was friendly and kind.

We booked 2 massages as well. The spa is located in the fitness center. As a result you can hear people in the center and walking outside while you are getting your massage. They try to drown out the noise with waterfalls and music but it doesnt always work. The massages themselves were wonderful and the lotion they use leaving you feeling silky smooth. My husband said it was one of the best massages he has gotten.

Room Tip: We were located in the millennium wing (newer wing). It takes two separate elevators to get their b...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank lovinparadise314
Guest-Communications, Executive Assistant at Trapp Family Lodge, responded to this review, 5 June 2014
Thank you for taking the time to post a comprehensive review of your stay with us. We appreciate you pointing out the extra touches such as turndown service with chocolates, the feeling of privacy and the congratulatory champagne in your room on arrival. The location of our resort is what the von Trapp's fell in love with the first time they visited the property in 1942 - it reminded them so much of Austria that this is where they decided to settle. We are always delighted when our guests have similar reactions to the stunning views from our location. If you would like more information on what type and where to get our shampoo and conditioner I suggest you e-mail "info" at trappfamily.com and our hotel manager will look into this for you. The family keeps the "Sound of Music" references low key and shares their actual story of the escape from the Nazi invasion of Austria to their settling in Stowe, VT. A documentary about Maria von Trapp is shown daily and in it she tells the story of how she came to be the governess for the seven children of Captain von Trapp and how they fell in love, married and eventually ended up in Vermont. It is an interesting story told in an endearing way by Maria. We are very pleased you enjoyed our massage therapists and will make sure they receive your compliments. We look forward to an opportunity to welcome you back to our resort again. Cheers! Rebecca

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (316)
Ludlow,MA
Reviewed 21 May 2014

One of my best vacations ever. Great location. Wonderful staff. The unit was roomy and clean with a great view. Lots of shopping in nearby communities. Lots of things to do on the activity schedule at the lodge. Restaurants at the lodge were very good.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Joyce S
Thank you for reviewing your recent stay with us. We are thrilled that we met and perhaps exceeded your expectations. Our staff will be pleased to know they made your stay more pleasant. We hope to welcome you back again to enjoy our resort! Cheers! Rebecca
New York City, New York
Reviewed 19 May 2014

The location of the property is breathtaking. The views are wonderful and the Lodge, is just that a lodge. I just went on a business outing with another 40+ colleagues. My room was #242. I guess it's in the older part of the hotel. It was 'quaint' with the furnishings. It had french doors that had the veiw of the mountains, but I had the communal balcony which wrapped around most of the property, which meant if the doors or the window was open you had people walking by and they could've walked into your room...There is no air conditioning, so you would have to open the doors or window for some cooler air. The thermostat was not working so in the evening it was actually quite stuffy because i wasn't opening the window or doors for the reason mentioned above. I had tried to move the the temperature to 60 but nothing ever clicked on. They do have oscillating fans in the room ; ). I feel the bathroom fixtures definately need to be upgraded, all three morning while starting the shower the pull mechanism to start the water ended up in my hand. Getting the faucet clip to turn to get the shower going was also a struggle and the water pressure was minimal. The room had stenciled flowers as a border both above the chair rails and the below the ceiling line. Again, this was quaint...but I would've highly suggest upgrading the bathrooms. Some colleagues did have rooms in the newer building where they had update bathroom facilities...should we go back I will ask for those...and not decorated in the Pennsylvania Dutch style either. As far as the restaurant: go for the Hangar Steak in truffle oil and the cauliflower risotto....it made up for the shower issues I had.

Room Tip: ask for the rooms in the 360s and up.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Rosemarie N
Guest-Communications, Executive Assistant at Trapp Family Lodge, responded to this review, 4 June 2014
Thank you for writing a review of your stay with us on Trip Advisor. It is without question that the most complimented aspect of our resort is its location with, as you stated, "breathtaking views". This is exactly why the von Trapp's settled here in 1942, the views of the mountain ranges and valleys reminded them so much of Austria. The 96 room hotel was built to resemble the original lodge and family home that burned down in 1980 and Maria lived in a suite of rooms until her death in 1987. The room in which you stayed does not have air-conditioning, although most of our rooms do, is located on the strolling balcony level and accessible only by hotel guests and staff. Thank you for bringing to our attention the issues with the shower handle and the water pressure. Our Maintenance Department has addressed these problems. You are correct in that our Millennium Wing rooms have updated bathrooms but they do not have the full front view of the Worcester Mountain Range; however, they do have either views of the Nebraska Valley Mountain range or of a lovely apple orchard where guests can sometimes see deer feeding at dusk or sunrise. Thank you for your compliments of your meal in the Main Dining Room. Our Executive Chef, Cody Vasek, will be delighted to know how much you enjoyed your Hangar Steak in Truffle Oil. We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to our resort again and we appreciate your constructive comments. Rebecca
Surfers Paradise, Australia
Reviewed 18 May 2014

We are avid Sound of Music fans & last year visited Salzburg Austria to look at home of the event etc. Doing a road trip of Northern USA this time & i wanted to surpise my wife with a visit to this Lodge which was a bit out of the way but where I understood would be boutique type lodging & as seen in reviews Von Trapp descendants are walking around the place at any time.
Firstly the Lodge is quite large & impersonal. Unfortunatly to get the Von Trapp experience (a tour) you need to be there on certain days. We missed so after all the trouble was just a large ski/country lodge (in summer) nice rooms but nothing to do , The brwery/bakery is small & not value.
Recommend the in-house Von-Trapp film which covers the history from real family leaving Austria to current times.
Was a wast of money and time for what we wanted & being Australian dont need summer hikes etc have plenty of that.
Had an expensive view room, but basin & shower water did not work. Went down to advise & was told a service guy would fix straight away, never happened, eventually after an hour or so went down & asked for a new room so we could shower etc after a long road trip to get there. That was done promptly without hassle, so got that done at least.

Room Tip: We were in main lodge (very few people staying there at time) rooms dont matter much but see it as a...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank GJA54
Richmond, Virginia
Reviewed 3 May 2014

I've been very conflicted on writing this review but it needs to be said. We checked in to our Interval Vacation rental at the Von Trapp Family Guest Houses and while unpacking our food into the kitchen I opened the kitchen cabinet and found a bug that no kitchen should have. Fearing that I could bring this bug home to infest my house I refused to stay there.

Now the reason I was so conflicted on writing the review is because the management at the Trapp Family Lodge was very accommodating. Withing minutes they upgraded us to one of their Villa and moved all our belonging for us. I must say the Villas are 10 in my book. They explained that the Guest Houses were maintained by a different managing company and apologized (I would guess Interval has something to do with the management of the timeshares but it was not said).

I read all the reviews on this location and there was no mention of the issue I came across. If I had read that I would never even booked this trip.

Room Tip: The majority of the Guest Houses are down a very steep hill that requires many stairs and it you'...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Ryan K, Director of Lodging & Guest Services at Trapp Family Lodge, responded to this review, 6 May 2014
Thank you DonnaG0713 for your recent review regarding your experience with us in the Guest Houses and Villas. After you had arrived in the Guest Houses to find a specific type of bug, it was my pleasure to assist you in finding alternative accommodations for the duration of your stay. We do pride ourselves upon the cleanliness of our units as well as always making our guests feel welcome and comfortable. As I had mentioned to you in person, our Villas offer all the luxuries and amenities befitting of the most discerning guests’ expectations and would be a fantastic complimentary upgrade for you and your party. Once you were comfortable in the new Villa unit, we did immediately contact our pest control professional to inspect the Guest House unit you had arrived in as we take pest/insect complaints very seriously. He was able to perform a thorough inspection of the unit you had originally arrived in and stated that there was absolutely no evidence of the bug you described being present in the Guest Houses; much to our relief of course. He also mentioned that the climate in which we are situated is not conducive to the habitat required for the type of insect you saw to survive, which was again of great relief to us. Again, it was my pleasure to have been able to immediately remedy the situation that you encountered upon arrival into the Guest House and we will look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Best regards,

Ryan Krukar
Westport, Massachusetts
Reviewed 25 April 2014

This was our second trip to the Trapp Family Lodge. Once again, it was a wonderful three day stay that brings the "Gemütlichkeit" of Austria to the hills of Vermont. As usual the staff at the check-in desk were both professional and accommodating. The bellman were outstanding. We especially had great service from Ben and Ian. My wife enjoyed a facial and massage at the spa, along with experiencing a great yoga class. We both took advantage of the roomy outdoor hot tub (very relaxing). I went on the Maple Sugar Walk with Chris. Great info and super guide.
I also experienced Singing for Joy with Judy on the harp. As a singer this class certainly gave me some new insights into voice instruction and my own vocalizing. The lounge was great. Ben, Ana, and Justin were great. John, on the piano, did a super job of entertaining while filling request from songs by Bob Dylan to George Gershwin. Highly recommended. We'll be back again soon!

3 Thank RogerB3770
Guest-Communications, Executive Assistant at Trapp Family Lodge, responded to this review, 13 May 2014
Thank you for reviewing your return visit to our resort. We appreciate you letting us know that our service was "professional and accommodating" and that our bellmen staff was "outstanding". Your compliments will be shared with the Reception staff. We are delighted you enjoyed the facial and massage in our Fitness Center. Our massage therapists are some of the best in the area and we love being able to offer their services at our resort. Chris Poacher, your guide on the Maple Sugar walk, is outstanding and enjoys sharing the history of maple syrup with our guests. Judy will be thrilled to know how much you enjoyed her class and that she was able to share some of her knowledge of singing with you. John Cassel, our piano player, will be very pleased to know he made your visit special. We look forward to welcoming you back to our resort again! Cheers. Rebecca
White River Jct., VT
Reviewed 23 April 2014

I have always wanted to stay at the Trapp Family Lodge and I was delighted when my husband suggested we go there for our 15th wedding anniversary. We only live an hour and a half away so it was a short drive for us. The room was beautiful with a view of the pastures and mountains. We had a wonderful dinner the night of our anniversary and listened to the piano player. The next day we x-c skied, enjoying spring skiing at its best. And best of all there were no crowds.

Room Tip: We had a king superior room facing the pastures and mountains.
1 Thank Norma Y
Thank you for choosing Trapp Family Lodge to celebrate your 15th wedding anniversary! We are also delighted you were able to take advantage of the exceptional spring skiing this year. We love to hear when Vermonters chose us as a getaway - we like to share our resort with our fellow Vermonters who can enjoy all we have to offer without having to travel very far. Our piano player, John Cassel, will be pleased to know he added to your anniversary celebration. We hope to welcome you back again. Cheers! Rebecca