“Great place”
Review of Trapp Family Lodge

Trapp Family Lodge
Ranked #6 of 24 Hotels in Stowe
Reviewed 23 June 2005

I stayed there on an exchange through Interval International. This place is awesome. I hope to go back again. 2 bedroom guest house is very nice. I believe it may have been recently renovated. Sat outside after it got dark all bundled up and listened to "nothing". Had a couple of cold drinks to keep me warm. Austrian tea room I believe is the best place to eat there. The dining in the main lodge and lounge can be expensive to say the least. The Austrian tea room is very reasonable. The 2 things I really didn't like about the room itself are the TV is very small. I know I didn't travel all the way to VT to watch television, but we like to spend our evenings in the room relaxing. The other thing I didn't like is that in the 2nd bedroom there are twin beds and the mattresses are very stiff and made for a difficult sleep. Also the pull out sofa looks to be brand new, but it ends up being the type that has the metal bar underneath and is very, very uncomfortable. I couldn't believe that furniture companies still made this type of pullout, let alone a first class resort would actually buy one of these. These couches were "never" comfortable to sleep on, so they had redesigned them to be good for sleeping. I have slept on the new type of pullouts numerous times and they are great. The only reason I’m venting about this couch is because I was forced to sleep on it for 3 nights, and I probably got about 5 hours sleep combined in those 3 nights. I ended up napping throughout the day. With that said, I still love this entire resort and can't wait to go back.

• Stayed: January 2005
9  Thank skpr77
Write a ReviewReviews (1,381)

Reviewed 22 June 2005

We had prepaid reservations at the Trapp Family Lodge in June. It just happened to be one of those steamy summer weekends that you can get in VT: 85 degrees and very humid. We checked in and went to our room on the 3rd floor. We were very surprised to find NO AIR CONDITIONING in our room, only a small table fan. When I had viewed their web site I gave no thought to whether they had AC; for the price they charge I expected AC. Turns out MOST of their rooms have no AC unless you pay for top of the line.
We turned right back around and went back to the desk. All we got was a sorry and NO refund.
No AC is not a big deal in Fall, winter, spring but summer in VT can bring some hot humid days and you can't plan on the weather.
We went to the Golden Eagle and had a great cool room for much less and it included a great breakfast.

25  Thank tukaberrri
Reviewed 20 June 2005

• Stayed: May 2005
6  Thank dcc224
A TripAdvisor Member
Amherst, MA
Reviewed 1 June 2005

We stayed during the memorial weekend. The lodge looks okay from outside. The highlight is definitely the location. You can see the mountains in almost 180 degree. Wonderful 2x view. They also take care of the gardens. Tulips still sprang very well up there in late May, as well as other flowers. It's still too cold for swimming outside, but the indoor pool is enough for the kids to play in. There are also a couple of tiny playgrounds. The cool thing is of course, no matter where you are, you can see the mountains. It just gets to you.

• Stayed: May 2005
8  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 9 May 2005

My wife and I had a wonderful stay at the lodge. We were greeted by friendly staff upon arrival and were taken to a very clean, comfortable room (Salzburg suite). The furniture was well crafted and solid, and the room well decorated, that it felt very inviting and warm. It felt as comfortable as being at home. Others have mentioned the multitude of photos and memorabilia of the Trapp family, but that's what it's there for. We couldn't get enough.
The rest of the lodge was clean as well, with nice reading/library areas on each floor. The number of other activities going on kept you busy.
The only cons for this resort was the fact that the fitness center and pool were across the way from the main lodge. So walking back in the cold being wet did not feel good. It also is a bit pricey, but worth it. We will definitely be visiting again.

• Stayed: March 2005
6  Thank CiscoLegs
Reviewed 29 April 2005

5  Thank snowshoe
A TripAdvisor Member
Burlington
Reviewed 29 March 2005

Dinner was ok, nothing very exciting. BUT please watch your receipt! The 15% tipp are already included but the server added an additional 20% and after 2 weeks we are still fighting to get our money back - THANKS!

13  Thank A TripAdvisor Member