“Very disappointing food and service at the Main dining room”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of Trapp Family Lodge

Trapp Family Lodge
Ranked #4 of 24 Hotels in Stowe
Ottawa, Canada
“Very disappointing food and service at the Main dining room”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 October 2009

I am a long term customer of Trapp Family Lodge. We have been staying at the lodge many times in the past five years. In our opinion, Trapp is synonym of quality, hospitality and the best service you can get. This is why we decided to return last weekend with a couple of friends. We decided to stay overnight in an Inn, at their suggestion, and to dine at Trapp, because we thought it is the best place you can eat in Stowe. I must say that this time the food and the service were very disappointing, even awkward for us, who insisted to dine at Trapp. We ordered Rehpfeffer, Stewed Venison Austrian Style. The taste was very poor, the kind of food you can have at the cafeteria at work for les than $5, except for we paid 20 times more. But what I found the most upsetting was the fact that in my platter there were just stewed mushrooms, no meat at all, not a single peace of venison. I am sorry to say, but I wasn't expecting something like that in a "high class" restaurant. It'a a last time!

• Stayed October 2009, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (308)
Chandler, AZ
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 October 2009

Arrived October 15 & 16, 2009 a Thursday and Friday. Our room had a damage ceiling 2'x3', carpet was worn in the rooms and corridors, TV was limited and difficult to see from the bed. We arrived at dinner and had to wait 20 minutes for menu, and another 10 minutes for water, and had to ask for bread. The food appetizer selected sausage/apple bread pudding was excellent but entrees were very poor, although I heard the deer was good, and the salmon was also good. My dinner for the appetizer, entree, and desert was $59.00 for one. Extremely overpriced for what was received, and the service was zero out of 10 points.

Overall the scenery was beautiful, the hotel, hotel rooms, and overall decor was run down, obvious lack of maintenance, the place looked like it was going bankrupt any day. Recommend not on your life. Go to any hotel in Stowe, the food and hotel will be much better and better priced. Go see the movie, its better than the lodge and the real Trapp family story.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
Guest-Communications, Executive Assistant at Trapp Family Lodge, responded to this review, 20 November 2009
Thank you for taking the time to post your review of our hotel. We are, of course, very disappointed that your experience was not what you expected. We apologize for the slow service and less than satisfactory entrees. Your review has been read by our Food and Beverage Director who will discuss with his waitstaff and our Executive Chef.

Trapp Family Lodge has been welcoming guests since the early1960's and is one of the longest term owner/operated resorts in New England. The decor is tasteful with many European antiques, original artwork, fresh flower arrangements throughout the hotel, common rooms with fireplaces and comfortable sofas and chairs. We understand your disappointment at being assigned a room that was in need of repair and sincerely apologize for this. Our Resident Manager spearheads the upgrades and repairs of rooms and is aware of your experience and comments upon which he will act.

As you were kind enough to mention our scenery is beautiful and we have spectacular views from any location on the property. Johannes von Trapp has donated portions of the land contained in the resort to various land trust organizations to preserve the privacy and beauty for our guests for many years to come.

Thank you for bringing these issues to our attention.
Pontypridd Wales
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 October 2009

We have stayed at the Trapp Family Lodge for the past 9 years and although gratuities are usually included in the overall cost I have always left an additional
substantial tip for the restaurant staff at the time of our last meal.
On this occasion following the first breakfast of our stay we receivede a telephone call in our room from the maitre'd querying whether our breakfast was satisfactory. On informing him that it was, he then demanded to know why we had not left a tip.
I told him that our usual custom was to leave a gratuity at the end of our stay and he informed me that this was not satisfactory due to the fact that different staff would be in the dining room on each day and that he would be able to add 15% to our account there and then or I could call back to the dining room and give a tip in cash.
I was offended to be put into this position but it seems to be the common approach in the USA these days.
It is not uncommon to offer $100 for a $60 meal and be asked 'Do you need change?'
The Trapp Lodge is a great facility but they have probably seen the last of us.

3 Thank cliffie_9
Guest-Communications, Guest Communicatios at Trapp Family Lodge, responded to this review, 15 November 2009
Please accept our apology for the rude manner in which one of our staff spoke to you regarding gratuity for your breakfast service. Tipping is left to the discretion of our guests - a new policy we instated about one year ago. As you mentioned you have been our guest for nine years during which time an auto-gratuity used to be added to meal checks. This should have been made clear to you by our dining room staff. Your complaint will be reviewed by our Food & Beverage director and proper action taken. Thank you for bringing this to our attention.
new york
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 October 2009

A 46th birthday surprise trip for my husband. A true lover of the "the Sound of Music". A place he had always wanted to visit. Vermont in the fall is spectacular! So booking Columbus day weekend was perfect. The view from our "king size deluxe" , outdated, rundown room was beauitiful! I went all out for the romance package at a cost of $1,100 for 2 nights! Which included the outdated rundown room, two nice, but over rated dinners, two yummy breakfasts, and two very good messages (limited time slots!).Our romance package also inclued a basket of goodies that was definitely NOT worth the extra cost!

As for the 'formal dinning room', a HUGE dissapointment. Starting with the so called dress code of no sneakers, no jeans. Having been told when making the reservations that NO ONE is alowed in the dinning room in sneaker and jeans we packed a second suitcase for this reason. Upon arriving to the dinning room we were over come by all the people in sneakers and jeans!!! We then ordered their blue cheese martini's. Which we were charged .50 cents an OLIVE! On top of the 12.00 cost of the drink! TACKY!
Then their was the waiter who actually had HORRIFIC BODY ODER! Discusting! It actually killed the delicious dinner.

I did indeed complain to the management that night in hopes of 'something might be done'. But after returning the next night the waiter still smelled BAD, jeans and sneakers everywhere and we did NOT dare order anything with olives! In other words NOTHING was done! No one seemed to care.

We stayed three nights. Our final bill $1,800! People!Go on cruise instead and rent the movie!

3 Thank zack45
mlw7, Sam von Trapp, Owner at Trapp Family Lodge, responded to this review, 21 October 2009
I would like to take a moment to express my thanks and appreciation to Trip Advisor readers and contributors for the feedback you are providing our team. We have attracted a new, young and talented team of managers from the luxury hotel sector, who are at present making critical and immediate improvements to our infrastructure and service. I am pleased to report that as a direct result of Trip Advisor comments, we have commenced a hotel-wide effort to address criticisms and short-comings, and are excited to upgrade more of our rooms to match the luxuriousness of our recently-renovated Mountain Suite. I am committed to making the changes necessary that will continue to honor my family's heritage of sensitively operating a welcoming European hotel of the highest standard.
- Sam von Trapp
Summerfield, NC
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 October 2009

While the grounds are beautiful and the staff is kind and helpful, the lodge's interior is in need of serious updating considering how expensive it is to stay here.

We paid $300 for a "deluxe" room that looked like it hadn't been updated in 20 years. By "updated" I don't mean redecorated. I mean it literally looked like not one new piece of carpet, furniture or equipment had been put into that room since the 1980s.

I understand that they're going for an older Bavarian lodge look so I went in expecting the motif to be dated. The problem isn't that the lodge interior is dated. The problem is that it's dilapidated.

The carpet in our room, the halls, and common areas were all worn and splitting at the seams The carpet in our room had stains everywhere. The sofa in our room also had stains all over it and groaned and squeaked even when we set a small duffel bag on it.

The TV in our room had to be at least 15 years old, if not more. The screen was horrible. I understand you don't come to a place like this to sit in your room and watch TV. But again, for $300 a night I expect a flat-screen TV. We paid $80 for a Country Inn and Suites room earlier in our trip that was way nicer and had a flat screen TV.

The other interior areas of the lodge were just like our room: tired looking. I honestly felt like I was visiting a sad old nursing home. Walking around the place just bummed me out.

On the positive side, everyone we dealt with on the staff was extremely pleasant and helpful. The lodge exterior and surrounding grounds are quite stunning.

There is a bakery on the grounds where we purchased one of the best coffee cakes - maple walnut, of course - we've ever eaten. The only problem here is that we arrived about an hour after they opened and they were out of almost all of their pastries and didn't seem to be making any more.

Unfortunately the pretty scenery, nice staff, and yummy bakery were not enough to overcome the bad taste in my mouth left by paying so much for so little. My wife and I have traveled extensively over the past ten years and I have never been so disappointed in the quality of a room relative to what I paid for it.

Skip this place until you've read that they have renovated. In the meantime you can get the same experience by renting the Sound of Music, watching it at the oldest hotel in your hometown, and taking the $200 you'll have left over and setting it on fire.

Chicago
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 October 2009

The room was out dated, the sink had cracks on it. If you have kids, there's a lot to do. If you want to watch "The Real Maria" twice a day, have an authentic Austrian tea, and like to go to gift shops, it's worth a visit. Don't stay in the new wing and get a premium room. I saw one and there was a circular kitchin table built into the room. I think rooms in the old wing are failrly comparable to other resorts in the area.is fairly Overall, not bad, not great.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled solo
New Hampshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 October 2009

We had a wonderful stay at the Trapp Family Lodge over an extended Labor Day weekend, traveling with our 3 children and my parents. Stayed in an absolutely beautiful Villa, set into the hill with gorgeous views of Mt. Mansfield and beyond. The Villa had plenty of space for all of us, with a well appointed kitchen, luxurious bathroom suites (even a private one for the kids attached to their room!), and a well decorated living and dining room with a nice combo of Vermont and Austrian style. Everything was clean and in great condition. Furnishings were comfortable and sturdy without being too lavish (a plus with small children). We enjoyed the Fitness Center each day, with the kids swimming in the indoor and outdoor pools, and my husband and I took advantage of the workout room which had plenty of cardio machines and weights - just enough for a full workout. We also enjoyed hiking and mountain biking on the well maintained trails, even saw some deer eating just off the path (got some great pics - would definitely recommend bringing your camera). All staff were helpful and friendly. The deli/bakery on site was great - would definitely recommend for sandwiches and (sinful!) desserts. To top off the weekend, we enjoyed a lovely concert in the meadow, the final part of their summer series (even ran into an old college friend there!). We'll definitely be back!

• Stayed September 2009, travelled with family