“Fabulous wedding and vacation week!”
Review of Trapp Family Lodge

Trapp Family Lodge
Ranked #5 of 24 Hotels in Stowe
Upstate NY
“Fabulous wedding and vacation week!”
Reviewed 11 June 2010

We held our small and intimate destination wedding at the Lodge this month in conjunction with my husband's family vacation week at the Guest Houses. From the moment we arrived until we left, we were treated warmly and everyone was helpful. The service was excellent. Planning from a distance was easy thanks to the coordination of the services. The food was great and plentiful. The setting was perfect. We enjoyed the baking classes and other activities on site. There is no shortage of things to do. We even found time to use the nearby bike path in town. We will be returning each year!

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (320)
Shepherdsville, Kentucky
Reviewed 27 May 2010

This is my first time ever to write a review, but the mountains will cry out if I don't write.

Before bringing my wife here for a week's vacation, I read reviews that made me skeptical. Now that I've seen it for myself, I must say we have discovered a treasure.

We arrived at 9 PM after a very long and hard day of travel, totally exhausted. My registration card was already prepared and all I had to do was to sign, but I was dizzy and had to get my balance before I was able to sign it. Someone offered to get our bags in and park the car (I never use valet but was glad to have it this time). Bob at the desk explained the restaurant had just closed but that if we had missed supper, something would be ordered for us.

When I thanked everyone the next day, one of the employees commented that working here is more like being a part of a family than just holding a job. Yes, and we have been made to feel like family guests.

The room is kept spotless, the beds are most comfortable, the view is spectacular, and our room is spacious and commodius in every way. The deck is inviting.

While waiting to take the history tour, we happened to sit next to Rosemarie, a daughter of Maria von Trapp. She struck up a conversation and we thought she was just another visitor. Nelson, the tour guide, introduced her and brought her into the short monologs and explanations at appropriate times. The most striking thing about her was her genuineness. She made no attempts to puff herself as holding a celebrity status but simply told her story as any of us might do at the right time. And what a story it is! The harrowing escape she and her family made from Hitler's horrors now helps her speak of her faith in God in a very natural way, yet without zealotry. But the reader should come hear the story for himself and herself.

When we took the tour to the sugar house (where maple syrup is made), our guide was one of the men who harvests the sap and cooks the syrup. Again, the presentation was genuine, authentic, not Hollywood hype.

The hiking trails are well kept, the fitness center is convenient and well equipped, and the food is delicious.

Of course, as a business the Trapp Family Lodge cannot stay in business without making a profit, but we find the prices reasonable for the accommodations. And, the atmosphere really is more like a family than a business setting. Anyone looking for the razzle-dazzle of the Ritz should go to New York City. Anyone looking for a slower pace surrounded by nature's gifts in a family-oriented setting will get his money's worth at the Trapp Family Lodge.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
Commack, New York
Reviewed 19 May 2010

Really? This place is more of a tourist trap than an actual nice resort. Perhaps it's because when I think "resort" I think of something more like Woodloch Pines in PA. Or perhaps it's because I used to work at the Walt Disney World Resort, so my idea of a themed resort is say, Disney's Wilderness Lodge Resort and Villas.

Trapp Family Lodge is neither of those things. They really missed the boat on this one. Framed movie posters and Sound of Music line the hallways. This is decor? I felt like I was in the home of a record producer from the 70s who never bothered to give his home a facelift. The rooms were incredibly dated and could have used a facelift. In fact, the entire hotel seemed like it needed a facelift. For the money that they charge, this hotel just is not worth it.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled on business
Boston, MA
Reviewed 18 May 2010

Stayed here one night for my parent’s 50th wedding anniversary along with my siblings and their children (all under 16). We were the only couple without children. My husband and I usually stay at Four Seasons/Mandarin hotels when we vacation, and although I wouldn’t say our experience at the Lodge was exactly equivalent, it was closer to that quality than to many Marriots and Hyatts I have stayed at when traveling for work.

Staff: very attentive, professional. Everyone seemed to know it was my parents’ anniversary and would congratulate them. They gave them a bottle of champagne. Staff was very accommodating whenever we asked them to take our picture.

Rooms: The Lodge is in the process of renovating rooms and we had a newly renovated room---bed was very comfy, pillows fluffy, sheets very nice (equivalent to Four Seasons), towels new/fluffy, nice Gilchrist and Soames shampoo. Everything has an Austrian décor. The bathroom was small (one sink) but very clean and nicely decorated. Some other reviewers here complained about hearing their neighbors---at night I found the hotel very quiet, but yes, in the morning after 8 AM people were up and about and you could hear it. Only two complaints about the room: we were given only two sets of towels (although the maid in the hall gave me more) and weak water pressure (but just like Europe). We didn’t watch the TV, so I can’t comment on it, but who comes to VT to watch TV?

Grounds: Just beautiful---the landscaping and the flowers are gorgeous. Great hikes and places to bike.

Rest of hotel: the really nice part about this hotel is that they have numerous gathering places, like the library and the sun room on the first floor. Each floor of the lodge had one or more very large living rooms with couches and a fireplace. We gathered there after dinner, and the lodge sent someone up to start a fire for us (with real wood!), which was great. The bar also gave us glasses so that we could have wine up there (we brought our own). The indoor pool is very nice and had nice areas around it to gather.

Food: We had afternoon tea. As a person who loves to bake, I can be quite critical, but I have to say that the cookies (about 5 different kinds) were all excellent and calorie-worthy. The food (dinner and breakfast) was very good, better than you would get at a big chain hotel. Wine list was very good. I ordered a cake from the Lodge’s bakery (down the street from the Lodge) and they sent it up so we could surprise our parents at the end of dinner. It was excellent.

Overall a great experience---I would highly recommend.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled with family
Western Massachusetts
Reviewed 12 May 2010

We've found something fun to do every day we've been here, and it's been so nice to have our own kitchen. So far we've toured the gardens, done a vigorous hike, seen the scottish highlander cows, played tennis, watched movies at the lodge, and enjoyed the sauna and outdoor hot tub. There are forest ecology tours, bird watching, baking lessons, maple syrup 101 class and lots of other fun things to do.

The staff here has been exceedingly helpful, personable and kind and has always done right by us.

I've been very surprised by the quality of the food at the Lounge. The warm potato salad is LEGIT, as are the sauerkraut and Austro/German sausages. They've started their own brewery and I've enjoyed the Bourbon Bock.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
Connecticut
Reviewed 15 April 2010

My new husband and I recently spent a little over a week at the lodge for our honeymoon. From the very first, the staff was incredibly helpful and attentive (providing maps of the area and pointing out attractions). We were provided with schedules every evening of the next days events. There were tons of activities everyday (wine tastings, maple sugar walk, the spa and fitness center, etc.). The food was great both for breakfast and dinner (not to mention the daily afternoon teas).

Even though it was the off season, there was plenty to do. We will definitely be visiting again.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
New Jersey
Reviewed 8 April 2010

The only con I can find with this resort are the fees they charge for all the little extras. Yoga classes, tours, and all the activities for the Mountain Kids club require a fee which averages $20 per child. We stayed away from these activities. We arrived on a Saturday, check in was quick and friendly. Bellstaff meet us at our guest house to assist with luggage. We stayed in 18B. I suggest a 2nd floor unit. The first floor units have a less privacy. There is plenty of great space for children to run around and play all throughout the property. Sunday was Easter. The resort had a complimentary easter egg hunt, which the kids the loved. There were plenty of eggs stuff with great goodies for all the children. Hiking is great around the property. There are so many wonderful trails. A must is the sugar house, if it is in season. Also the Chapel. What a wonderful place! We walked ALL around the lodge. Plenty of fun little spots to check out. There are halls and stairs all over the place to explore.
The views are fabulous on the property. The guest houses, are stocked well. We did not need anything for cooking that was not already there. Face and bath soap are in the two bathrooms, dishsoap for dishes and the dishwasher. Pot holders, dish towels, salt and pepper, and paper towels are all supplied. There is plenty of wood supplied for the wood burning stove. Matches and 7 firestarters are provided. Furnishings are comfortable and homey. Everything in our unit was in great shape and working order. Renovations were being done on one guest house, so I guess the rest will slowly follow. I believe there are about 28 guest houses in three villages. Village 1 and 2 are right next to each other and within easy walking distance to the fitness center and lodge. Village three has 4 guest houses, and is a bit further. I would probably drive if I was not in the mood for a leisurely walk. Each guest house holds 4 units-2 up, 2 down. ours was full, and we did not hear our neighbors. Kitchens in a small work kitchen, not much room, but I doubt anyone booked this resort for the kitchen. :-) The dining has plenty of room, along with the large living room, which are open to each other. Small box TV in a cabinet. If you are a TV fanatic, you will be disappointed. This is also the only TV in the unit. Upper level has a balcony and 4 chairs, lower level has 4 chairs and a patio. Most units you either walk up or down a set of stairs. Our unit was down a set and then back up a se to the unit. I was nothing to us, and we did not mind. There are several units that do not have stairs at all, so ask if it is a concern.
The fitness center is great. There is a playroom with airhockey and ping pong. There is a big chalk board and books to read. A rock climbing wall, fitness room, yoga/class room, sauna, lockers, showers, changing room and a great big warm pool with plenty of chairs and loungers! Warm meaning comfortable to swim~ not too cold, not to warm.
If you have any questions please feel free to email me... Well worth the trip.
We also did day trips to Ben and Jerrys and Vermont Teddy Bear. Plenty of places to hike, bike, shop and eat. We were not here to ski. There was no snow on the ground during our stay, and only a little on the mountain.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled with family