“we had a nice time but guesthouses need updating”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Trapp Family Lodge

Trapp Family Lodge
Ranked #4 of 24 Hotels in Stowe
New York
“we had a nice time but guesthouses need updating”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2010

The best thing about Trapp Family Lodge is the view and the grounds. The second best thing is the fitness center which is modern, had good yoga classes and a nice indoor pool. The other guests staying there seemed polite and friendly and there were many families with children. We stayed in the guesthouses. Although spacious and clean, they had more of a camping feel to them than a resort feel which we didn't expect (or want). They also need serious renovating inside and out. The other negative to staying at Trapp Family Lodge with young children is there is no viable place to eat on the premises. The restaurant is expensive for what it is and we got the feeling, despite the extensive kids menu, that younger children are not truly welcome there. The lounge has a limited menu and the bakery only serves sandwiches. So, you are either cooking or leaving the premises especially for dinner. The other negative is the towel/linen exchange policy. For a small fee, you can exchange your towels (and if you are traveling with a family esp. during summer time, you will definitely need fresh towels during your stay), however, the exchange is only one day during limited hours. A guest should be able to get fresh towels when it's convenient for the guest. There was an outdoor wedding on the premises the night of our arrival. We were surprised for a family resort that the music from the band was blasting until almost midnight (and we could hear it loud and clear in the guesthouses). Also, we tried to arrange for a children's tennis lesson, but after we were given many conflicting messages, we finally just gave up trying. Although there were some inconveniences and we were not thrilled with the accommodations, there were enjoyable activities (many for an extra fee) and we all had fun during our stay. I suspect staying at the lodge is a nicer experience. I doubt we would stay there again for a week. Maybe a night or two in the lodge. For those who want to primarily hike or mountain bike ride, it is a good place. One can always go there to check out the view and the grounds without staying there.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank Ameline

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (308)
West Palm Beach, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 June 2010

The lodge is very adequate. It is not a "theme park" (thank goodness). My reason for writing is the Lodge is a nice place to stay but you should eat at the other nice places Stowe has to offer. By all means, stay at the lodge as everything is very nice but after a long day of skiing, go the extra 10 kilometers and go out for dinner.

Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
Manchester, Vermont
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 June 2010

Once is never enough to stay at the Trapp Family Lodge -- spectacular views, friendly luxury, and superb cuisine -- your heart and soul will never be the same.
Mr. & Mrs. Hugh Main Manchester VT

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
Upstate NY
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 June 2010

We held our small and intimate destination wedding at the Lodge this month in conjunction with my husband's family vacation week at the Guest Houses. From the moment we arrived until we left, we were treated warmly and everyone was helpful. The service was excellent. Planning from a distance was easy thanks to the coordination of the services. The food was great and plentiful. The setting was perfect. We enjoyed the baking classes and other activities on site. There is no shortage of things to do. We even found time to use the nearby bike path in town. We will be returning each year!

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with family
Shepherdsville, Kentucky
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2010

This is my first time ever to write a review, but the mountains will cry out if I don't write.

Before bringing my wife here for a week's vacation, I read reviews that made me skeptical. Now that I've seen it for myself, I must say we have discovered a treasure.

We arrived at 9 PM after a very long and hard day of travel, totally exhausted. My registration card was already prepared and all I had to do was to sign, but I was dizzy and had to get my balance before I was able to sign it. Someone offered to get our bags in and park the car (I never use valet but was glad to have it this time). Bob at the desk explained the restaurant had just closed but that if we had missed supper, something would be ordered for us.

When I thanked everyone the next day, one of the employees commented that working here is more like being a part of a family than just holding a job. Yes, and we have been made to feel like family guests.

The room is kept spotless, the beds are most comfortable, the view is spectacular, and our room is spacious and commodius in every way. The deck is inviting.

While waiting to take the history tour, we happened to sit next to Rosemarie, a daughter of Maria von Trapp. She struck up a conversation and we thought she was just another visitor. Nelson, the tour guide, introduced her and brought her into the short monologs and explanations at appropriate times. The most striking thing about her was her genuineness. She made no attempts to puff herself as holding a celebrity status but simply told her story as any of us might do at the right time. And what a story it is! The harrowing escape she and her family made from Hitler's horrors now helps her speak of her faith in God in a very natural way, yet without zealotry. But the reader should come hear the story for himself and herself.

When we took the tour to the sugar house (where maple syrup is made), our guide was one of the men who harvests the sap and cooks the syrup. Again, the presentation was genuine, authentic, not Hollywood hype.

The hiking trails are well kept, the fitness center is convenient and well equipped, and the food is delicious.

Of course, as a business the Trapp Family Lodge cannot stay in business without making a profit, but we find the prices reasonable for the accommodations. And, the atmosphere really is more like a family than a business setting. Anyone looking for the razzle-dazzle of the Ritz should go to New York City. Anyone looking for a slower pace surrounded by nature's gifts in a family-oriented setting will get his money's worth at the Trapp Family Lodge.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
Commack, New York
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 May 2010

Really? This place is more of a tourist trap than an actual nice resort. Perhaps it's because when I think "resort" I think of something more like Woodloch Pines in PA. Or perhaps it's because I used to work at the Walt Disney World Resort, so my idea of a themed resort is say, Disney's Wilderness Lodge Resort and Villas.

Trapp Family Lodge is neither of those things. They really missed the boat on this one. Framed movie posters and Sound of Music line the hallways. This is decor? I felt like I was in the home of a record producer from the 70s who never bothered to give his home a facelift. The rooms were incredibly dated and could have used a facelift. In fact, the entire hotel seemed like it needed a facelift. For the money that they charge, this hotel just is not worth it.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled on business
Boston, MA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 May 2010

Stayed here one night for my parent’s 50th wedding anniversary along with my siblings and their children (all under 16). We were the only couple without children. My husband and I usually stay at Four Seasons/Mandarin hotels when we vacation, and although I wouldn’t say our experience at the Lodge was exactly equivalent, it was closer to that quality than to many Marriots and Hyatts I have stayed at when traveling for work.

Staff: very attentive, professional. Everyone seemed to know it was my parents’ anniversary and would congratulate them. They gave them a bottle of champagne. Staff was very accommodating whenever we asked them to take our picture.

Rooms: The Lodge is in the process of renovating rooms and we had a newly renovated room---bed was very comfy, pillows fluffy, sheets very nice (equivalent to Four Seasons), towels new/fluffy, nice Gilchrist and Soames shampoo. Everything has an Austrian décor. The bathroom was small (one sink) but very clean and nicely decorated. Some other reviewers here complained about hearing their neighbors---at night I found the hotel very quiet, but yes, in the morning after 8 AM people were up and about and you could hear it. Only two complaints about the room: we were given only two sets of towels (although the maid in the hall gave me more) and weak water pressure (but just like Europe). We didn’t watch the TV, so I can’t comment on it, but who comes to VT to watch TV?

Grounds: Just beautiful---the landscaping and the flowers are gorgeous. Great hikes and places to bike.

Rest of hotel: the really nice part about this hotel is that they have numerous gathering places, like the library and the sun room on the first floor. Each floor of the lodge had one or more very large living rooms with couches and a fireplace. We gathered there after dinner, and the lodge sent someone up to start a fire for us (with real wood!), which was great. The bar also gave us glasses so that we could have wine up there (we brought our own). The indoor pool is very nice and had nice areas around it to gather.

Food: We had afternoon tea. As a person who loves to bake, I can be quite critical, but I have to say that the cookies (about 5 different kinds) were all excellent and calorie-worthy. The food (dinner and breakfast) was very good, better than you would get at a big chain hotel. Wine list was very good. I ordered a cake from the Lodge’s bakery (down the street from the Lodge) and they sent it up so we could surprise our parents at the end of dinner. It was excellent.

Overall a great experience---I would highly recommend.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled with family