“A perfect family vacation getaway” 5 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Trapp Family Lodge
Ranked #4 of 24 Hotels in Stowe
Mansfield, Il
“A perfect family vacation getaway”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2010

We spent a week at the Trapp Family Lodge and couldn't have asked for a more enjoyable experience. The rooms we stayed in were spacious and well-maintaned, and the view from our balcony made it hard to leave. There was plenty for everyone to enjoy right there at the lodge, and the city of Stowe, a mere ten minutes away by car, provided us with plenty of alternatives to the many activities the lodge offered. Years of hard work and good planning have given the entire place a uniquely European charm. Our experience was topped off by an amazingly friendly and ready-to-please staff that knew our whole family by name after a few days. We have recommended the Trapp Family Lodge to our friends and will definitey be back.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (302)
Vienna, Virginia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2010

My wife and I spent 3 days and nights at the Trapp Lodge in late July and I will say the setting is magnificent with spectacular views of the valley and mountains from our room. We stayed in the main lodge and while our room was very clean and large the decor fromwalls to carpet needed some serious renovation as well as the carpets in the hallways. Cleanliness was not an issue but renewal and replacement of the decor is. We actually had a "fourth floor" room which required us to walk up a ssomewhat spiral stairway from the third floor and our room had no balcony. The ads for the lodge say "many" of the rooms have private or shared balconies but ours didn't even though the per day rate was quite high.

There are a lot of programs and activities offered at the property but most are at an extra charge. We did not eat at the property for any meals as there are no lower cost "grills" or coffee shops there and the mainrestaurant is quite pricey as well as requiring "smart casula" dress. One can eat in the "lounge" if not dressed properly. Come on, this is a resort and why should I have to dress like I'm at the yacht club so I can overpay for "trendy" food? We had excellent meals in Stowe that didn't require dressing up to get into the place. I'm not talking about wearing shorts, a T shirt and flip flops but I got the definite impression that my polo shirt and jeans were not allowed in the main dining room.

There are three pools on the site - an outdoor "family" pool, an outdoor "adult" pool and and indoor pool in the recreation and spa building. We did not use the family pool but did go to the adult pool and that, like the lodge, needed some serious maintenance. There was debris in the pool and most of the tiles along the water line were chipped and broken. It appears that no maintenance has been done to that pool in years. The indoor pool though is very nice with a pleasant changing/locker room. It's too bad we couldn't enjoy an outdoor pool but the indoor one was the best of the lot.

One can also easily OD on all the Trapp memorabilia and pictures hanging all over the place in addtion to the showing (3 times daily I believe) of the Maria von Trapp story. There is a nightly movie but hardly of recent vintage (Evita, Bear, etc.).

We stayed at the Stoweflake Resort for two nights before our stay at the Trapp Lodge and feel it was a much better value for the dollar. The views may not be as good as the Trapp Lodge but one can drive further up the mountain and get the views while saving a substantial amount of money per night as well as receiving a higher level of servie from the staff. I think the thing that really got to me was when I checked out and settled the bill that the clerk at the desk never asked me how I enjoyed my stay. Apparently the Trapps only care about getting that charge on the dredit card and once you check out they know that no more money will be spent at their establishement.

I suggest that people check out the many other offerings in Stowe before reserving a place at the Trapp Lodge.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Cubsfanforever
New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2010

The best thing about Trapp Family Lodge is the view and the grounds. The second best thing is the fitness center which is modern, had good yoga classes and a nice indoor pool. The other guests staying there seemed polite and friendly and there were many families with children. We stayed in the guesthouses. Although spacious and clean, they had more of a camping feel to them than a resort feel which we didn't expect (or want). They also need serious renovating inside and out. The other negative to staying at Trapp Family Lodge with young children is there is no viable place to eat on the premises. The restaurant is expensive for what it is and we got the feeling, despite the extensive kids menu, that younger children are not truly welcome there. The lounge has a limited menu and the bakery only serves sandwiches. So, you are either cooking or leaving the premises especially for dinner. The other negative is the towel/linen exchange policy. For a small fee, you can exchange your towels (and if you are traveling with a family esp. during summer time, you will definitely need fresh towels during your stay), however, the exchange is only one day during limited hours. A guest should be able to get fresh towels when it's convenient for the guest. There was an outdoor wedding on the premises the night of our arrival. We were surprised for a family resort that the music from the band was blasting until almost midnight (and we could hear it loud and clear in the guesthouses). Also, we tried to arrange for a children's tennis lesson, but after we were given many conflicting messages, we finally just gave up trying. Although there were some inconveniences and we were not thrilled with the accommodations, there were enjoyable activities (many for an extra fee) and we all had fun during our stay. I suspect staying at the lodge is a nicer experience. I doubt we would stay there again for a week. Maybe a night or two in the lodge. For those who want to primarily hike or mountain bike ride, it is a good place. One can always go there to check out the view and the grounds without staying there.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank Ameline
West Palm Beach, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 June 2010

The lodge is very adequate. It is not a "theme park" (thank goodness). My reason for writing is the Lodge is a nice place to stay but you should eat at the other nice places Stowe has to offer. By all means, stay at the lodge as everything is very nice but after a long day of skiing, go the extra 10 kilometers and go out for dinner.

Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
Manchester, Vermont
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 June 2010

Once is never enough to stay at the Trapp Family Lodge -- spectacular views, friendly luxury, and superb cuisine -- your heart and soul will never be the same.
Mr. & Mrs. Hugh Main Manchester VT

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
Upstate NY
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 June 2010

We held our small and intimate destination wedding at the Lodge this month in conjunction with my husband's family vacation week at the Guest Houses. From the moment we arrived until we left, we were treated warmly and everyone was helpful. The service was excellent. Planning from a distance was easy thanks to the coordination of the services. The food was great and plentiful. The setting was perfect. We enjoyed the baking classes and other activities on site. There is no shortage of things to do. We even found time to use the nearby bike path in town. We will be returning each year!

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with family
Shepherdsville, Kentucky
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2010

This is my first time ever to write a review, but the mountains will cry out if I don't write.

Before bringing my wife here for a week's vacation, I read reviews that made me skeptical. Now that I've seen it for myself, I must say we have discovered a treasure.

We arrived at 9 PM after a very long and hard day of travel, totally exhausted. My registration card was already prepared and all I had to do was to sign, but I was dizzy and had to get my balance before I was able to sign it. Someone offered to get our bags in and park the car (I never use valet but was glad to have it this time). Bob at the desk explained the restaurant had just closed but that if we had missed supper, something would be ordered for us.

When I thanked everyone the next day, one of the employees commented that working here is more like being a part of a family than just holding a job. Yes, and we have been made to feel like family guests.

The room is kept spotless, the beds are most comfortable, the view is spectacular, and our room is spacious and commodius in every way. The deck is inviting.

While waiting to take the history tour, we happened to sit next to Rosemarie, a daughter of Maria von Trapp. She struck up a conversation and we thought she was just another visitor. Nelson, the tour guide, introduced her and brought her into the short monologs and explanations at appropriate times. The most striking thing about her was her genuineness. She made no attempts to puff herself as holding a celebrity status but simply told her story as any of us might do at the right time. And what a story it is! The harrowing escape she and her family made from Hitler's horrors now helps her speak of her faith in God in a very natural way, yet without zealotry. But the reader should come hear the story for himself and herself.

When we took the tour to the sugar house (where maple syrup is made), our guide was one of the men who harvests the sap and cooks the syrup. Again, the presentation was genuine, authentic, not Hollywood hype.

The hiking trails are well kept, the fitness center is convenient and well equipped, and the food is delicious.

Of course, as a business the Trapp Family Lodge cannot stay in business without making a profit, but we find the prices reasonable for the accommodations. And, the atmosphere really is more like a family than a business setting. Anyone looking for the razzle-dazzle of the Ritz should go to New York City. Anyone looking for a slower pace surrounded by nature's gifts in a family-oriented setting will get his money's worth at the Trapp Family Lodge.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple