“Motorcycle heaven”

Smugglers Notch State Park
Ranked #7 of 62 things to do in Stowe
More attraction details
Owner description: This narrow path through thousand-foot cliffs, once a smuggling route into Canada, is now a park used for biking, hiking, picnicking and rockclimbing.
Ottawa, Canada
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Motorcycle heaven”
Reviewed 12 August 2014

The Smugglers Notch road between Jeffersonville and Stowe is one of the must-ride roads for motorcyclists in the northeastern U.S. Plus, if you are going to Stowe from Ontario or Quebec, it cuts the journey by at least 20 minutes.

Visited April 2014

Boston, Massachusetts
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Smugglers notch park Drive”
Reviewed 11 August 2014

This review is just for drive thru and not including any hiking or camping. We had looked this up and read that the drive in the park is really nice and very scenic which is no doubt true but the fact that it ends before it starts kinda shocked us.

WE decided to take a drive in the rain on the day we arrived in Stowe. It was a nice drive but only did half way since we wanted to do the whole drive on a clear day so i can take pics.

Next day we did the drive and only within 4 miles you were from end to end of the park. I def did not like the drive by as it was too short , i am sure the hiking and camping would be nice but if you do a drive by it is not worth it. For that visit White mountains through the Kakamangus Highway

3 Thank tkantesaria
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Nice Drive and Stops”
Reviewed 8 August 2014 via mobile

Recently, my family of four drove the notch. We enjoyed the sights and took advantage of hiking opportunities along the way. At least one of the hiking spot offers the exploration of caves, once used to smuggle alcohol during prohibition.

common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“The park ranger went in the women's room many times in and out while women were in the bathroom stalls, in the shower,”
Reviewed 29 July 2014

PRIVACY VIOLATED - At all parks, we have seen cleaning staff near the women's bathrooms waiting to clean, but they've always been waiting AWAY from the ladies room and being careful to approach and making certain there was no one in the women's room before entering to attend to for cleaning purposes, along with putting up a sign or mop bucket in the entrance to the ladies room signaling there are attendants cleaning. At this park, between 9:00 a.m. and 9:45 a.m. the man who checked us in at the office the night before came right into the women's room while there were women in the bathroom stalls, in the shower, and while I was at the sink brushing my teeth. I have never seen anything like this. This was very INAPPROPRIATE. He had a long stick with a brush at the end of it and swiped some of the windows above the sink and then entered a stall with his stick that was not occupied. This man came in the ladies room in and out more than once and also had with him two teenage boys. I alerted the woman who came out of the shower while I was waiting to use the shower inside that there was a man that came in. When I finished my shower and was stepping out of the shower fully naked another woman who was in the women's bathhouse called out to me, Excuse me lady in the shower there is a man in the women's room and it is very inappropriate. When I dressed and went over to the sink the guy was just outside the ladies room in clear view of me talking with his friends or colleagues two teenage boys. I felt very uncomfortable that the man who worked there with the yellow rain slicker on could watch me groom my hair in the mirror and apply my toiletries. I looked at him and said, I am sorry, does the bathroom close at a certain time? He responded, no. He stayed right outside the door with the two boys for at least another 10 mins. after I asked him, then all of a sudden disappeared. ATTN: ...seriously, this is not a park /camping area for solo women campers. You just will not feel comfortable. I am hoping that this park ranger gets spoken to. I have never felt the sanctity of using the women's room as violated at this ever in my life. This ranger or attendant should not be working at Smuggler's Notch State Park.

6 Thank Annmarie M
Sarasota, Florida
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Best camping trip ever.”
Reviewed 23 July 2014 via mobile

A few years ago we decided to take a road trip from Burlington and ended up at Smugglers Notch State Park. I was living in Maryland at the time and designated a couple of weeks to drive around the area. Campsite 2 was our last stop before the 11 hour drive south. Everything here was perfect. We could hear the stream flowing from our campsite. The fire pit was clean and had equipment to make cooking less challenging and fun! The campsite was sloped just enough to make a hard rain not a big deal and the rangers made me feel safe and not at all intrusive. The facilities are right across the way and up the hill was a brand new shower area with sinks and dressing rooms (the freshwater stream is perfect for a bird bath, too!) this area is so beautiful and not far form the park is a charming little gourmet market that we made use of quite a bit. We were there in July which is typically the "off season" for this area. It was quiet and relaxing. We decided to stay 3 more days. ✌️

3 Thank Maggie H