“great facilities, nice clean rooms, family friendly!”

The Mountain Road Resort
Ranked #21 of 24 Hotels in Stowe
Chester, Vermont
“great facilities, nice clean rooms, family friendly!”
Reviewed 7 October 2013

I came into town to bring my family to a wedding and we got a room here. We have 3 small children and always like to find a spot with a pool. We cannot express enough how nice the pool facilities are! Very clean and a great use of space! The kids had a blast! The overall experience was very family friendly and a GREAT option when staying in the pricey town of Stowe!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Reviewed 4 October 2013 via mobile

The pictures on line are somewhat deceiving. The room is spacious and the bed was comfortable otherwise the room was very average, no frills. The curtain in the back of the room just outside the bathroom lacked about 10 inches in length but nothing a bath towel couldn't remedy. The front desk person was very cordial and helpful with dinner suggestions. The service however stopped there. Turns out that the nice appearing lobby shown on line is locked and not accessible except certain times. The 8AM complimentary breakfast did not appear until someone finally drove up and unlocked the door around 8:30. By this time we just left frustrated with the poor attention to detail. There are plenty of other places to choose from in Stowe and we will do so next time.

• Stayed October 2013

Travellers are raving about these Stowe hotels

Jackson
Reviewed 26 September 2013 via mobile

Had a group that used 19 rooms. Evidently they hopefully are remodeling. My room was good and roomy. Others were small and crowded with broken coffee tables or air conditioners that didn't work. Breakfast was fruit and cereal and a few sweet rolls. Staff was hardly ever seen by me. If you're driving a tour bus, get ready to back in cause it's hard to turn around.

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank Kirby P
Reviewed 9 August 2013

My son and husband and I stayed here for my sons lax tourney. And it was beautiful! The room was gorgeous and reasonably priced for Stowe, the pool was nice and clean. I absolutely love the location being so close to town, a gas station across the street, and a cute place next door to get delicious food. The only downside was the parking, every time we left and came back we had to park in a different spot.
A young woman at the front desk let me borrow a cell phone charger (I lose mine constantly) which was greatly appreciated! And a young woman house keeper helped me with my bags when it came time to leave and made very friendly conversation with me.
All in all it was an amazing experience, great hotel, beautiful room, awesome breakfast, and very kind workers! Definitely recommending to family and friends!

• Stayed July 2013
Barnard
Reviewed 24 June 2013

We visit Stowe at least once a year. Each year we try to stay in a different place. This is the second property we would consider staying at again. The price was reasonable (for Stowe), we paid $130 for one night. The room was clean except for the mini fridge which had an opened bottle of water and a small container of cheddar cheese in it, and the coffee pot was not clean. The bathroom was clean and the mini wet bar was clean. The bed was comfortable and the a/c worked well. There was free WiFi but it was slow in the rooms, worked a little better in the Lobby.

There are a lot of amenities with this property. It has an outside swimming pool which was clean and inviting. There is also an indoor pool which was also clean and inviting. I cannot tell you the water temperature because we did not use the swimming pools. There is a hot tub and sauna. There are basic bikes for rent and they also have a clay tennis court that is in good condition.

We stayed in the cheapest room which is on the ground floor, next to the lobby (room #20). I did not want hubby to have to carry the luggage up the stairs.

Our son and his fiancee stayed in a balcony room. The second floor balcony rooms are about $30 more per night. They have a fireplace and a working balcony. If you really want a working place in the room, it would be worth the extra money, otherwise you may want to stick with a first floor room.

This property has recently gone under a management change and it is still in the learning process. I recommend printing out your room confirmation. If you book online you can pick your room, but their computer system was having some glitches and it was helpful to print the confirmation.

It was difficult to find someone at the front desk but once found, they were always helpful.

So, if you're looking for a comfortable clean room in a convenient location (next to Harvest Market) with amenities that are in good order, you may want to consider the Mountain Road Resort in Stowe, Vermont.

Room Tip: No elevator for second floors. It's easy to get the car to the front door of the ground floor r...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank dancepig
Burlington, Vermont
Reviewed 28 May 2013

Recently stayed here and found it very pleasant and affordable. Room was large and clean. Indoor and outdoor pool, nice outdoor seating area for stargazing. Common areas cozy with some very interesting artwork. Friendly staff and great location. Given all the above and the low rates, I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
Massachusetts
Reviewed 10 March 2013

As this was my first visit to Stowe I had only the internet search and reviews to go on. I chose The Mountain Road Resort despite some of the poor reviews I thought I would give this place a chance.

The gentleman that checked us in was very nice and offered many suggestions for dinner places and site seeing as well. It was in a good location not too far from the village but a bit of a ride to get to the ski resort. The lobby looked very nice as it has been renovated from what I've read online. Nice big fireplace with seating, a small bar and an area where the breakfast is laid out. We didn't go down for breakfast so I don't know what that was like. Some of the rooms have been renovated as well. I'm not sure if our room was a renovation or not. The carpeting did look fairly new in the room but in the doorway where you enter it looked a bit dirty. They would definitely benefit with a door mat in the entrance to catch the dirt.

Upon entering I did notice the strong odor that someone else had mentioned. It is a very overpowering disinfecting smell. Too overpowering. They should try and use something a little less potent. We were there for three nights and after a day the smell did begin to dissipate. I always bring candles with me when we go away just to keep a room refreshed smelling. This did help as well. We were in room #40 an ultra deluxe room on the bottom floor with a patio in the pool section. Room right next to the indoor pool and jacuzzi as a matter of fact. In the summer you can walk from your patio to the indoor pool or the outdoor pool. There was a nice gas fireplace, a king size bed, a small love seat and another chair. The furniture could definitely be updated. It looked a bit dated. Lamps seemed well used and the shades were a bit torn inside. The bed although it was very comfortable it could probably do with a new mattress as this one seemed a bit saggy. The gas fireplace also kept the room nice and toasty. I also want add that you would be better off in a room on the second level. The people above us were very loud walkers. And it seemed as though they never slept. We could hear them walking around all hours. The room on the second level were from room #44 and up. I will keep this in mind if I stay here again.

There was a small "euro kitchen" as they called it in the description on their website. It consisted of a small sink and small counter space with two electric burners. A microwave and some cabinets above holding dishware. We used the sink and the counter space and the coffee maker supplied but had no need to use the burners. There was no fan venting if you did cook. The whole set up looked from the 80's. Old and dated. There was what looked to be a large refrigerator and small freezer below the sink area. But this was no longer in use. Looked like it could be used for storage. The freezer side was being used to hold the toaster and a sponge and some detergent. There is a notice on the microwave that the maid service was not responsible for cleaning any dishes used. That is up to you to clean and put anything back that you use or be subject to a $15 charge.In my opinion they would be better off tearing all that out and just putting in a counter top and a mirror on the wall. So you could make coffee and use this space as a vanity perhaps since there is not much counter space in the bathroom. There was a small refrigerator supplied in the living area to use.

The light over the sink in the bathroom did not work upon arrival and I did tell the woman at the front desk when we went out. Later in the day when we came back the light was fixed. So they are very promp at taking care of any issues you may have, all you have to do is tell them. Later when we were going out the maintenance man saw me and inquired if the light was working ok, he had fixed it. He was very nice and friendly and I saw him at the property a lot taking care of things.

The shower was great and had a nice shower head. No lack of hot water and the bathroom was very clean. The whole place seemed to be well taken care of. I also want to mention that the whole room was very clean. One thing I want in a room whether it is dated or not is just that it is clean.

I would recommend this place and I would stay here again. There was also an area with a large window looking into the pool. This area had an air hockey game. On the second level a large window looked down into the pool area. This space had a nice seating area.

Room Tip: If your in the club section get a room on the second level.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple