“Cozy and Charming”
Review of The Gables Inn

The Gables Inn
Ranked #5 of 22 Stowe B&B and Inns
Reviewed 12 November 2008

I found The Gables Inn this September while searching google for Inns in Stowe, VT. I booked a room for three nights, breakfast included:) Never visiting Stowe I was pleasntly surprised to find how close the Inn was to the center of town. A two minute drive or a walk along the bike path makes for a great afternoon of shopping in the local galleries.

The inn itself is very charming and my room was VERY cozy. I didn't have a TV in my room so on the second night I made my way down to the lounge and caught up on my CNN. I even had company when the inn's mascot Yogi planted himself at my feet.

The highlight of my stay was the breakfast which is prepared and served by the actual owners. Who by the way as I came to find out are former New Yorkers, I would have never guessed.

All in all I would reccomend the Inn most highly.

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled solo

Reviewed 11 November 2008

Have stayed at The Gables Inn in Stowe, VT on numerous occasions and cannot say enough good things about it and the owners.
The inn is charming----always warm and inviting. The rooms are always neat and comfortable having a New England decor. The breakfast menu is varied and the food is wonderful.
I would definitely recommend it to anyone wanting a quiet, homelike atmosphere.
I like to stay at B&Bs, but have had some not too pleasant stays. This is not the case at The Gables. Annette and Randy make you feel at home.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled with friends
Reviewed 9 November 2008

We were looking forward to a wonderful stay at the Gables Inn on a recent New England road trip. As soon as we pulled into the parking lot, our reaction was ,"Oh my!" Since first impressions are of utmost importance, I would suggest a MAJOR overhaul of the outside of the building. Very dirty, and in need of pressure cleaning/painting and gutter work. It wasn't much better as we entered through the side entrance and were hit in the face with the smell of......dog. Yogi is a sweet and unassuming golden retriever- but his odor permeates the residence. We checked in (as we had pre-paid and a refund was evidently not permitted due to their cancellation policy). We received the tour from Annette, who is very nice and accomodating. We did breathe a sigh of relief when we saw our room- very clean. However when we went to bed that night- sleep was difficult. The bed was as hard as a rock- literally. We went out almost immediately and spent as much time as we could touring the area- an area that didn't seem to have a lot to do. When we ran out of places to go we returned and sat in the very dark and very dirty living room and watched t.v. until bedtime. By dirty I mean the hardwood floor in the living room needed a complete cleaning and re-finishing, the doors and baseboards could use some fresh paint and the furniture is pretty well shot- dirty, dingy and beaten up. Yogi came around and laid at our feet- and the smell was overwhelming. We were up and out early the next morning to continue our road trip. We did not stay for breakfast, so I cannot speak to that in this review. This place could be charming and beautiful, but it is in need of some TLC and major cleaning. I do not enjoy writing a bad review, but we booked this place after looking at the website and one review here about the breakfast. I should have done further research. As I've mentioned, this place could be beautiful with some work. But for now, I'd have to recommend finding another place to stay in Stowe- there are plenty of choices out there- just do your research.

1  Thank Debbie G
Reviewed 19 September 2008

The Gables Inn is nothing like the promotional pictures and descriptions. It is dilapidated and in dire need of upkeep, refreshment, and restoration. The main building has rugs that are black with dirt...the first thing you see when registering. The breakfast is good if you can take the dirty carpet on the way to the eating area. The breakfast does not make up for the dingy surroundings. We stayed two nights because we had booked (and paid) ahead, and didn't really want to argue with the lady owner, who seemed ready for a quarrel when we asked to see the rooms. We moved two of a party of four from the main building, where hallways and stairs were narrow, making us wonder if we could get out in the case of fire. We stayed in the "carriage house", which had dirty rugs but we did enjoy the fireplace in the cool Sept. mornings and evenings. No used towel replacement or coffee were provided for the second night. To get the tap for the "jacuzzi/shower" to work, I had to stand in the tub and pull with all my might. We did not feel comfortable using the tubs because the dirty rugs and windows did not give us confidence that the jets had been consistently and thoroughly cleaned. Don't believe the pictures! Unless this property undergoes major renovation or they knock it down and start over, don't go. I am amazed that I checked the reviews before booking, and only one actually described the true conditions of this Inn. I dismissed that one review as being by someone who demanded perfection. If I had only heeded that one true review...but at least it gave the four sisters who came to Stowe for a reunion something to talk about, and some of the descriptions and comments gave us great belly laughs...guess I can thank the shabby, old Gables Inn for that.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled with family
1  Thank Waffless
Reviewed 9 July 2008

I was not as impressed with The Gables Inn as some others who have posted reviews here. It wasn't the worst place I've ever stayed, and the price was right, but people should know that it is not really a typical inn. Perhaps it is a better spot in the winter, but in the summer it just felt like a cheap place. The main rooms of the inn are not very welcoming. I would have never felt comfortable just sitting there to read or watch television. We had one of the rooms in the main building. The room was fine - clean, good size - but unless the air conditioning was on, it smelled very musty. Yes, they leave free (and cheap) razors out, but the towels are old and very small. The breakfasts were fine but not great and certainly far from "amazing", as some reviewers have said. It is nice to have a full restaurant menu and be able to pick what you like, but I think I would have preferred to have a better breakfast at one of the nicer inns in town. I would not stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank LHSOC
Reviewed 22 March 2008

We booked 2 nights at the Gables prior to reading reviews. It is, as the brochure states, a "classic B&B." Booking was effortless, it was easy to find, and the hosts were very personable. We stayed in one of the suites and enjoyed the Jacuzzi and the fireplace. The room and the inn are homey...... as would be expected in a 100+ year old converted farm house. We were very happy with our stay. As everyone else mentioned, the breakfast was very good. I would recommend it to my friends and I would be happy to stay there again!

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled as a couple
2  Thank EKGA
Reviewed 12 February 2008

This is the best value hotel I've ever stayed at in vermont! the little extras were numerous, from free razors and care packages left for us by the super-attentive innkeepers, to the the most STUPENDOUS, DELICIOUS breakfast one could possible hope for - this place more than exceeded my expectations. There were so many instances that showed care and attention to detail, my friend and I can't wait to go back.

• Stayed: February 2008, travelled with friends