“Awesome!!! Great food, location, and owners!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of The Gables Inn

The Gables Inn
Ranked #6 of 23 Stowe B&B and Inns
New York
“Awesome!!! Great food, location, and owners!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2009

It was the first Christmas my mom and I spent together in years so I wanted to find a place where she would be comfortable while I skied (she is diabetic as well). I was just thrilled with the attention my mom received from the owners. They were very accommodating to her special needs. Now let's talk breakfast.... I am not surprised they are well know for their breakfast because it deserves all the notariaty - it's filling and tasty!!! For the price, location and food... I would (am) definitely stay there again! This place is a diamond in the ruff for skiers.

• Stayed December 2008
1 Thank cavaNewYork

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
Amherst, MA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 March 2009

We really enjoyed our stay at the Gables. The location is great, the price is right, the rooms are charming, and the staff is friendly and helpful. The facility has not been recently renovated, and the fireplaces make the carpeting a little dingy, but if you can look past that you're likely to love this place. We stayed in the Riverview Suite, which was spacious and delightful.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank GSK57
Northeastern Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 January 2009

We had the pure pleasure of staying at the Gables for 12 nights – some would call that a long stay during Christmas and New Year’s at a country inn or B&B. This was not the case at the Gables. It was truly a home away from home. After many years of travel all over the world we are writing our first review here on TripAdvisor.

We stayed in the Gables Suite in the main building. The bed was extremely comfortable and we enjoyed the hot tub and fireplace every day of our stay. We appreciated that the staff respected the idea of not changing out our linens every day but stayed true to the idea of conservation. They changed the linens as we asked. As in any old building, we occasionally heard noises in the adjacent rooms, but nothing that disturbed our rest.

Randy and Annette are wonderful hosts. They are extremely helpful with any request. They were forthcoming and friendly but they read carefully how much privacy we required and did not impose themselves in any way. We enjoyed getting to know them very much. One of the most unique and special features of the Inn is that the hosts offer a soup or snack every evening around 4:30 p.m. The guests and hosts sit together and enjoy delicious food and interesting conversation. It is a very relaxed and fun experience. There is no pressure to participate and we chose to do so about 50% of the time. Though we tend to be very private people we were happy to interact with the hosts and the guests on those occasions.

The breakfasts at the Gables met and exceeded all the positive reviews. The ingredients are extremely fresh and fascinating. The homemade Hollandaise sauce is incredible, as were all the seasonings and toppings. Randy is truly a wonderful chef as evidenced by the breakfasts and the evening appetizers. Annette and the staff were extremely accommodating and friendly. Watching Stowe wake up from the porch dining area was a treat we looked forward to every morning.

We really enjoyed Yogi, the wonderful 11-year old Golden Retriever pet of the inn. He is not, in any way, in your face. He does welcome you after a day of skiing or other activity, and he loves to plop down at your feet while you read and enjoy the evening’s delectable offering by Randy.

If you are looking for posh appointments and a relatively sterile environment, the Gables Inn is not for you. If you love country inns with character, if you enjoy a superior breakfast, and if you appreciate exceptional proprietors, RESERVE NOW at the Gables Inn. If you understand all that is Stowe, this inn is not to be missed. It is a diamond near the heart of Stowe.

• Stayed December 2008, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Teresa_and_Bob
WVA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 November 2008

I recently had the pleasure of staying at the Gables Inn, in Stowe, while I was in Vermont on business. My secretary handled all of my bookings so I had no idea what to expect.

I was greeted at the door by a charming young couple, who turned out to be the owners of the establishment. They were ever on hand for assistance and information. One one occasion Randy, the husband, drove me to a meeting when a local taxi company had no car available.

The restaurant at the inn only serves breakfast, unfortunately. The food was great, though.

In short, if you are looking for a place to stay and you need something warm, rustic and homey the Gables Inn is it.

• Liked — Convenient to downtown Stowe
  • Disliked — Only serves breakfast in the restaurant
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank WVA09
Boston , MA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 November 2008

I found The Gables Inn this September while searching google for Inns in Stowe, VT. I booked a room for three nights, breakfast included:) Never visiting Stowe I was pleasntly surprised to find how close the Inn was to the center of town. A two minute drive or a walk along the bike path makes for a great afternoon of shopping in the local galleries.

The inn itself is very charming and my room was VERY cozy. I didn't have a TV in my room so on the second night I made my way down to the lounge and caught up on my CNN. I even had company when the inn's mascot Yogi planted himself at my feet.

The highlight of my stay was the breakfast which is prepared and served by the actual owners. Who by the way as I came to find out are former New Yorkers, I would have never guessed.

All in all I would reccomend the Inn most highly.

• Liked — the country charm
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled solo
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 November 2008

Have stayed at The Gables Inn in Stowe, VT on numerous occasions and cannot say enough good things about it and the owners.
The inn is charming----always warm and inviting. The rooms are always neat and comfortable having a New England decor. The breakfast menu is varied and the food is wonderful.
I would definitely recommend it to anyone wanting a quiet, homelike atmosphere.
I like to stay at B&Bs, but have had some not too pleasant stays. This is not the case at The Gables. Annette and Randy make you feel at home.

• Liked — Homelike atmosphere. Close to shopping and dining.
  • Disliked — Having to leave at the end of the trip.
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled with friends
Plant City, Florida
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 November 2008

We were looking forward to a wonderful stay at the Gables Inn on a recent New England road trip. As soon as we pulled into the parking lot, our reaction was ,"Oh my!" Since first impressions are of utmost importance, I would suggest a MAJOR overhaul of the outside of the building. Very dirty, and in need of pressure cleaning/painting and gutter work. It wasn't much better as we entered through the side entrance and were hit in the face with the smell of......dog. Yogi is a sweet and unassuming golden retriever- but his odor permeates the residence. We checked in (as we had pre-paid and a refund was evidently not permitted due to their cancellation policy). We received the tour from Annette, who is very nice and accomodating. We did breathe a sigh of relief when we saw our room- very clean. However when we went to bed that night- sleep was difficult. The bed was as hard as a rock- literally. We went out almost immediately and spent as much time as we could touring the area- an area that didn't seem to have a lot to do. When we ran out of places to go we returned and sat in the very dark and very dirty living room and watched t.v. until bedtime. By dirty I mean the hardwood floor in the living room needed a complete cleaning and re-finishing, the doors and baseboards could use some fresh paint and the furniture is pretty well shot- dirty, dingy and beaten up. Yogi came around and laid at our feet- and the smell was overwhelming. We were up and out early the next morning to continue our road trip. We did not stay for breakfast, so I cannot speak to that in this review. This place could be charming and beautiful, but it is in need of some TLC and major cleaning. I do not enjoy writing a bad review, but we booked this place after looking at the website and one review here about the breakfast. I should have done further research. As I've mentioned, this place could be beautiful with some work. But for now, I'd have to recommend finding another place to stay in Stowe- there are plenty of choices out there- just do your research.

1 Thank kingsgirl55