“A home away from home!”

Ranked #2 of 22 Stowe B&B and Inns
Rosemere, Quebec
“A home away from home!”
Reviewed 29 July 2010

We had a wonderful stay at the Brass Lantern B & B last week! Mary-Anne and George were excellent hosts and made us feel right at home. They gave us great advice about hikes and restaurants, friendly smiles and conversation, and of course homemade cookies and lemonade. Our room was very nice and had a view of Mount Mansfield. We will definitely be back!

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (135)
  • Hebrew first
Somerville, Massachusetts
Reviewed 16 July 2010

The Brass Lantern Inn is absolutely the most fabulous B&B at which I have ever stayed! Where do I begin? First of all the owners are simply the loveliest Inn keepers I have ever met. We loved it so much the first time that we came back with friends a few weeks later and the owners greeted us with warm hugs and smiles like we were family. Second, the inn itself is in mint condition and painfully clean. Most of the New England B&B's (and hotels) are old buildings that have been poorly renovated and are in run down shape, but not the Brass Lantern. Whoever converted this Inn knew what he/she was doing because every square inch is in absolutely fantastic condition. Third, the breakfasts are to die for. I have never in my life had scrambled eggs that good, and they were only one part of what are always very creative breakfasts. Fourth, the Inn is extremely easy to reach with wonderful parking. It's highway driving the entire way from Boston to their front door yet the Inn is far enough from the main road such that it's totally free of road noise. And finally, there is a ton of things to do in the Stowe, Vermont area and the owners will gladly give you lots of wonderful suggestions. I'm sure your stay will be as pleasant and restful as ours was and oh yeah, one last thing, the room rates are a great bargain! Go, go, go!!!!

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with friends
Mooresville NC
Reviewed 9 June 2010

My wife and I have just returned from one of the best vacation stays we have ever had. As this was our first experience with a B&B we did not know what to expect. Because of George and Mary Ann, we became "Vermonters" for a week. We cannot imagine this inn without them. From the initial greeting we received, to the marvelous, filling breakfast every morning, to the welcome every evening as we returned from our outings til the sad time we had to leave, we have become friends with the owners George and Mary Ann. Being from North Carolina and traveling for the first time into Vermont, we were spoiled in every detail. Anyone looking for a personal, relaxing, cozy getaway, look no farther than the Brass Lantern Inn!!

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
Aventura, Florida
Reviewed 5 June 2010

April 23rd-25th, I surprised my husband for his birthday with a weekend get-a-way to Stowe, VT. My husband and I (both in our 30's) had a great experience at the Brass Lantern Inn. I had never been to Stowe and had no idea where to stay. I found the Brass Lantern in on TripAdvisor and decided to book. Since it was during the off season some B&B's were closed the weekend we were there and it was spring break for the local school kids so the town wasn't busy at all.

When we arrived we noticed right away that the Inn and the grounds were beautiful. The Inn has a huge yard and patio furniture for the summer time. There is also a great porch you can use as well. The Inn also has a hot tub outside. We had no problems with parking.

When we walked in we were welcomed by Mary Anne (Owner and Inn Keeper). Mary Anne was very friendly and our check-in was quick and fast. She was very helpful and suggested restaurants for dinner...we chose one she recommended and it was great!

When we got to our room we were surprised by a birthday sign that they had made for my hubby! It was a great touch that made us feel welcome. Our room was very nice and roomy. It had a great view of the mountains. Everything was clean and our bed was comfy. There were nice extras in the room...bottle waters, information on Stowe and little chocolates at our bed table. The only thing that I would say was that our shower was a little loud...a little high pitched squeaking sound.

The breakfast in the morning was fabulous! George, Mary Anne's husband was the cook. The breakfast was very filling and kept us going most of the day! My husband didn't care for something on the menu and they offered to cook something else for him. They were very accommodating and also came out with a birthday candle in my hubby's banana bread.

We had a lot planned on Sat. and needed some directions to some local attractions. Mary Anne was very nice and printed directions for us. She also gave us some great information about Stowe.

We arrived back at the Inn late afternoon and grabbed a nice glass of lemonade and chocolate cookies that the Inn Keepers had out. The cookies were amazing. They also had tea and ice water as well for snacks.

So we had an amazing stay. It was nice, quiet and a relaxing weekend...just like we had planned. The best part of our stay was talking with George and Mary Anne. They were so nice and friendly I thought I had known them for years. I believe that is what makes a great B&B. We cannot wait to come back and stay at the Brass Lantern Inn again.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
Brasslantern, Owner at Brass Lantern Inn, responded to this review, 11 June 2010
And we are so very happy to hear that the level of service we strive for every guest and every day was so warmly received and appreciated. It was truly a pleasure to meet and serve you. Oh yes, and we have replace that shower head! Thanks, George
Gatineau, Canada
Reviewed 3 June 2010

OK...I've read these reviews for that last 3 years when travelling down south, restaurants and hotels arou a nd the world. So, when it comes to exagerations I've seen them all!! First, when you arrive, you are immediately received by George or Mary-Ann (owners of the Inn) and are shown around the premises and into your room. Our room was more than we expected. We took a sweet-heart package that included champagne and chocolates...what a start!! A beautiful view of the mountains and a the soft chirping of the birds complimented the room to the max!! If possible ask for room #9...you won't be disappointed!!
Let me tell you that George is pretty handy with his skillet...what a fantastic breakfast he can prepare! Mary-Ann will surely delight you with her charm and sense of humour. My girlfriend and I stayed for 3 nights and couldn't resist in using the hot tub under the stars every night!! Nice touch guys!! Need an appointment somewhere in town? They took care of everything for us!! Nothing negative here folks...ENJOY!!!

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
Falls Church, Virginia
Reviewed 23 May 2010

This is a wonderful B&B on the fringe of Stowe that is made special by the friendliness and hospitality of George and Mary-Anne. Nothing is too much trouble. The room was comfortable and there is plenty of relaxation space in the beautiful lounge and dining room. Tea, coffee and cookies are available through the day and Mary-Anne produces cakes in the afternoon. We wish we could have stayed longer.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
Rochester, New York
Reviewed 7 May 2010

My husband and I travel to Vermont at least twice a year. We enjoy staying at different Bed and Breakfast Inns to add to the experience. We stumbled on the Brass Lantern Inn and were very impressed with the inkeepers Mary Anne & George Lewis. They were busy painting the dining room when we arrived, no advance reservations. They showed us each of the rooms available and we were able to take our pick. They were warm and friendly and made our stay a highlight of our trip. We would encourage visitors to Stowe to stay at the Brass Lantern.

The grounds were very well kept and we had a great walk along the road exploring the area and finding hidden streams. By the way, the breakfast was very good!

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple