“A warm and friendly place to stay”
Review of Brass Lantern Inn

Brass Lantern Inn
Ranked #2 of 22 Stowe B&B and Inns
Amsterdam
“A warm and friendly place to stay”
Reviewed 26 August 2010

Situated slightly out of Stowe, the Brass Lantern Inn is a beautiful and welcoming place to stay. My room, and particularly the bathroom, were somewhat on the small side but spotless and comfortable. The only down side is that rooms on the side of the building facing the road are a bit noisy because of the nearby traffic. The inn itself had a very homely feel, filled with comfortable sofas, fireplaces, and books. Though I was here in August it's not hard to imagine what a cosy place this will be in the cold, snowy winters. The inn keepers, George and Mary Ann are kind and generous people who go the extra mile to make their guests comfortable, even providing a ride to the hiking trail for this traveler without a car. One thing to consider when traveling without your own transportation is the inn's location: it is about a 10-15 minute walk from the village center along the main road, which can be a bit uncomfortable at night since the road is poorly lit

• Stayed August 2010

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (133)
  • Hebrew first
New Jersey
Reviewed 21 August 2010

What a fantastic B&B! Mary Anne and George are such terrific and lovely hosts. We were warmly welcomed from the moment we stepped through the front door and enjoyed every minute of the four days of our visit. By the time we left, we felt like family. George made amazing breakfasts and both he and Mary Anne went out of their way to make sure all our needs were accommodated. Mary Anne was also especially helpful in suggesting wonderful hikes in the area. The inn is in mint condition and our room was super clean, bright and cheerful with a fabulous view of Mt Mansefield. If you're looking for a place to stay in Stowe, look no further than this B&B!

• Stayed August 2010
Niagara Falls
Reviewed 18 August 2010

Stayed at the Brass Lantern for a few nights this August with my husband. Inn is right on main street in the town of Stowe. Walking distance to the little town and some restaurants. George and Mary Ann were wonderful hosts, very warm and welcoming. Room 9 was very spacious, comfortable and clean with beautiful bathroom and views. Fireplace in room but not needed in August. Window air conditioner was much appreciated and used! No TV's in rooms unless you requested but we did not miss it at all. Also had a large paved private parking lot. Breakfast was great each morning. Outdoor jacuzzi was relaxing and well kept. The whole experience was just what we were looking for-intimate charm, and they delivered. Price was very good considering some of the rates I checked at other hotels or B&Bs. They accidentally charged us twice for one nights room and Mary Ann was very concerned and immediately told us what happened and explained the mix-up. It was a non issue and no problem at all for us...it was fixed but I thought ironic because we stayed at a larger resort hotel a few days later and were overcharged on our bill and the only reason we got it adjusted was because I noticed it! The Brass Lantern is perfect if your are looking for small town charm and personalized service with friendly hosts away from the hustle and bustle of larger hotels and resorts. Stay here...you won't be sorry...we weren't.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
Pepperell, Massachusetts, USA
Reviewed 13 August 2010

My husband and I had a FANTASTIC stay at the Brass Lantern Inn. The owners were friendly and VERY accommodating. We were there for the Stowe 8 miler, so we had to stick to our usual diets. They accommodated our request for breakfast and even the time we wanted it since we wanted to eat before the race. I can't wait to go back up again. My husband and I highly recommend this place!

New York City, New York
Reviewed 10 August 2010

As a frequent business traveler I'm a little spoiled on the amenities front and used to robot-like service. So Mary Anne and George's warm personal hospitality at the Brass Lantern Inn was a very welcome experience.

The breakfasts were absolute treats. George is a fantastic cook and Mary Anne the perfect hostess.

I had some trouble getting on to the internet but Mary Anne offered her laptop and then actually looked up what I needed herself and came over to our room with the information. She also told us about a hidden waterfall close by.

My 6yr old son and I played some soccer and football in the huge backyard. Even my wife came out to play some badminton. We didn't use the hot-tub but a couple who did raved about it. Room 9 - with a view of Mt. Mansfield - has a nice whirlpool tub and a fireplace. Very comfy and romantic.

I would highly recommend this place to those looking for warmth and hospitality in the true sense of the words in a very clean, well-maintained place.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
Boyertown, PA
Reviewed 2 August 2010

My husband and I stayed at The Brass Lantern Inn for our 6th anniversary, no-kids "get-away". The inn and its owners provided the perfect setting for that. Mary Anne and Roger were very friendly and helpful from our first contact on the phone. During our stay at the inn we relaxed in the simple, very clean room, tried out the outdoor hot tub, and enjoyed the delicious, home-cooked breakfasts in the morning and refreshments in the afternoon. The hosts were so hospitable, we feel like we left VT with new friends! They helped us out with our needs during our stay from dinner reservations to bug spray! :-) We would definately stay at this inn if we returned to Stowe on a future vacation.

lowell,ma
Reviewed 1 August 2010

Recently my wife and I stayed at the Brass Lantern Inn in Stowe. If you want a nice clean place,a great breakfast and really,really nice innkeepers that give you a nice clean room,this is THE place.And,as a bonus,it's reasonably priced.And,I've got to say,George is a pretty good cook.