“Close to the Mountain”

Ranked #18 of 24 Hotels in Stowe
Boston
“Close to the Mountain”
Reviewed 30 January 2012

4 miles away from the Mountain; you can't get much closer than this! Unlike most things in Stowe, the Inn was not overpriced. We got a great deal as part of a ski group.

The free breakfast is hearty but nothing to write home about. That was OK as it served well as fuel for the skiing that came soon after.

The indoor pool and hot tub were a nice surprise and were enjoyed by our 5 year old.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
  • Hebrew first
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 14 January 2012

We came up to the Mountaineer Inn last weekend as part of a group ski trip. The manager was very friendly, happy to give us advice and tips. Rooms were clean, and the giant, 20-person hot tub downstairs is great after a day of skiing. There was almost always a pot of coffee ready, and the manager was happy to brew more on request. The inn is about 4 miles from the base lodge, and getting in and parking was a breeze. There's also a shuttle that will pick you up on the road. Our package included breakfast both mornings: not gourmet, but a step up from continental breakfast. It included eggs, bacon, sausage, and pancakes or french toast, as well as bagels, muffins, and cereal. These were served buffet-style. The only downsides were a slight musty odor in the halls when we checked in (old building with a pool, not too bad), and the fact that we never saw the downstairs lounge and bar open. I think it's only open late on Saturday nights--though if you want to go drinking in Stowe, there is no shortage of options. Overall, a very serviceable, not too expensive option for staying in Stowe in the winter.

Room Tip: Though the rooms boast private decks, you won't be spending much time on them in winter. Ours ju...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 1 January 2012

Recently stayed 3 nights in the Mountaineer Inn in Stowe and were quite happy with the hotel and overall stay. The price was very reasonable for Stowe (about half the cost of any other hotel in the area for the week we were there). The rooms were basic, but quite large and very clean and were adequate for our needs. The complementary breakfast was good- all the basics (pancakes, eggs, bacon, bagels, etc) that provide a good base for a day on the mountains!
Everyone who worked at the Inn was extremely friendly and willing to help with any questions and provided great suggestions for dinner and drink locations in the area.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
New York City, New York
Reviewed 10 October 2011

Perhaps the reviews previous to this (all 2009 and before) applied in their day but they might as well be talking about a different place now. My girlfriend and I stayed here for a wedding over a long weekend, we found the room to be pleasant, clean and pretty well appointed. We loved the little individual porches that each of the room at the front of the hotel had, while we didn't have a chance to check out the swimming pool and hot tub/jacuzzi we heard good reports from others in our party. The service was excellent for an establishment of its size, the manager (?) even opened up the bar for us after he had closed up and responded very quickly to our many and varied requests throughout the weekend.

All told we very much enjoyed our stay, the only negatives were that there was no hairdryer or iron (but were brought prompted upon request) and the chairs on the outside deck needed to be wiped down (but then in fall everything outside does).

Would stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the front, not noisy and you get a private porch
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
Massachusetts
Reviewed 17 August 2009

We stayed here mainly because they allowed pets. The location and setting were great. The room was clean but needed some cosmetic work. The staff was very friendly and provided great suggestions for restaraunts. We did have one complaint. We asked that our room not be cleaned as we were leaving our dog in the room while we went out. She is very shy and were afraid she would be frightened. I had also been told when I made the reservation that they would not clean a room if a animal was not penned-she was not. When we returned the room had been cleaned and the dog was hiding in the closet.

Also, they do not have a restaraunt. They did provide a contiental breakfast, which was cereal in tupperware containers and bagels. There are great places to eat nearby though.

It was very quiet and great for just a relaxing weekend!

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
Boston, MA
Reviewed 15 July 2009

Stayed two nights. Second time visitor, but things have gotten really bad since first visit a few years ago. Totally run down, which would be acceptable if it were clean...but it wasn't. Bathroom was grubby, my "own private deck" contained two broken, filthy chairs with a moldy, filthy plastic table. Room was dark and hot, no matter how long the AC ran. Didn't get maid service ("sorry!" was response) - emptied the trash and got my own clean towels. The employees were nice - they just didn't care.

The website and brochure depict what the inn COULD be if somebody cared.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with friends
2 Thank FaithJC

Travellers are raving about these Stowe hotels

Northern Virginia
Reviewed 16 December 2008

Booked a four-night stay here with my family by going directly to the hotel's website; trip was 8 weeks off and I booked it on a Thursday afternoon. Provided the information and received an e-mail with a confirmation number that night -- all looked good to go.

The following Monday I receive an e-mail saying they can't accommodate my request and maybe I'd like to stay another time. Huh? I have a confirmed reservation -- e-mail says so. So I call, and the desk clerk tells me that the online booking system isn't really tied into their reservation system. Once the bookings are made online, hotel staff have to collect them and manually put them into the REAL reservation system, and in the interval what you thought were your rooms (and for which you have received a confirmed reservation) may be gone. And that interval for me was FOUR DAYS, during which, as the clerk explained, "rooms are going fast." Yeah, that's why I made a reservation.

This sounds to me too monumentally preposterous a way of doing business to be true, so the clerk promises the manager will call me. He doesn't, but he does send me a smart-alecky e-mail in which he confirms this ridiculous "reservation" system and says that he waited four days to tell me "to see if there were any cancellations that would allow us to accommodate you." This while rooms all over Stowe, like his, are being snapped up.

He closes by saying he's sorry this happened to me but "I am glad there is still time prior to your arrival. It beats having this conversation upon your arrival doesn’t it?". So I should be grateful that he confessed his incompetence four days after he confirmed a reservation that didn't really exist rather than 8 weeks after?

If they are this bad at simply making reservations, I can’t imagine they’re any better at performing the other basic functions of a hotel.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Attitude of staff
Stayed December 2008, travelled on business