"You get what you pay for" is a good way to describe this hotel. We booked last minute for the weekend between Christmas and New Year ($179/night) and then ended up booking a second room for some additional people the next day.
The guy at the desk that checked us in was pleasant and friendly, but obviously not very well trained. We didn't receive any sort of an orientation about the hotel or any of its amenities and he was flustered when we mentioned our dogs (we had booked through www.officialpethotels.com so we were surprised he had no idea) and ended up having to reassign our rooms.
The rooms were small and outdated (think 1980's style televisions), but clean and comfortable. The breakfast was included in the room rate and was a nice spread of hot and cold options. There was also a big hot tub which was nice for apres ski.
The morning after our arrival I stopped by the front desk to let them know that we were out of the room and that housekeeping could go in- the young lady at the desk was surly and unhelpful, she seemed put out that we asked to have the room turned over. Housekeeping eventually came, but they basically only made the beds. Towels in the bathroom were not refolded or replaced, shampoo, soap and lotion were also not replaced. There was also an envelope in the room asking for tips- this is a practice that I see more and more often, but still find to be rude and horribly presumptuous. We always leave a gratuity anyway, but I think it's a classless thing for hotel management to allow.
We did have a number of dealings with Deb, the manager, and she was helpful and pleasant in all of them. It seems that there is not much money or resources being put into keeping the hotel up to date, but she seems to do a nice job with what she has.
All in all it was a great spot for what we paid. Very close to the mountain and allowed dogs which was important for us. It won't go down as our most luxurious hotel stay ever, but then again the price was right.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- We are a budget Inn that is located just 3 miles from Main Street, and just 3.5 miles from the famous Mount Mansfield. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Booking.com, Priceline, Agoda and Odigeo so you can book your The Mountaineer Inn at Stowe reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Mountaineer Inn At Stowe Hotel Stowe
- The Mountaineer Hotel Stowe
- Mountaineer Hotel Stowe
- The Mountaineer Inn At Stowe Vermont