“Nice enough”

Ranked #18 of 24 Hotels in Stowe
Massachusetts
“Nice enough”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2009

We stayed here mainly because they allowed pets. The location and setting were great. The room was clean but needed some cosmetic work. The staff was very friendly and provided great suggestions for restaraunts. We did have one complaint. We asked that our room not be cleaned as we were leaving our dog in the room while we went out. She is very shy and were afraid she would be frightened. I had also been told when I made the reservation that they would not clean a room if a animal was not penned-she was not. When we returned the room had been cleaned and the dog was hiding in the closet.

Also, they do not have a restaraunt. They did provide a contiental breakfast, which was cereal in tupperware containers and bagels. There are great places to eat nearby though.

It was very quiet and great for just a relaxing weekend!

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
  • Hebrew first
Boston, MA
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2009

Stayed two nights. Second time visitor, but things have gotten really bad since first visit a few years ago. Totally run down, which would be acceptable if it were clean...but it wasn't. Bathroom was grubby, my "own private deck" contained two broken, filthy chairs with a moldy, filthy plastic table. Room was dark and hot, no matter how long the AC ran. Didn't get maid service ("sorry!" was response) - emptied the trash and got my own clean towels. The employees were nice - they just didn't care.

The website and brochure depict what the inn COULD be if somebody cared.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with friends
2 Thank FaithJC

Travellers are raving about these Stowe hotels

Northern Virginia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 December 2008

Booked a four-night stay here with my family by going directly to the hotel's website; trip was 8 weeks off and I booked it on a Thursday afternoon. Provided the information and received an e-mail with a confirmation number that night -- all looked good to go.

The following Monday I receive an e-mail saying they can't accommodate my request and maybe I'd like to stay another time. Huh? I have a confirmed reservation -- e-mail says so. So I call, and the desk clerk tells me that the online booking system isn't really tied into their reservation system. Once the bookings are made online, hotel staff have to collect them and manually put them into the REAL reservation system, and in the interval what you thought were your rooms (and for which you have received a confirmed reservation) may be gone. And that interval for me was FOUR DAYS, during which, as the clerk explained, "rooms are going fast." Yeah, that's why I made a reservation.

This sounds to me too monumentally preposterous a way of doing business to be true, so the clerk promises the manager will call me. He doesn't, but he does send me a smart-alecky e-mail in which he confirms this ridiculous "reservation" system and says that he waited four days to tell me "to see if there were any cancellations that would allow us to accommodate you." This while rooms all over Stowe, like his, are being snapped up.

He closes by saying he's sorry this happened to me but "I am glad there is still time prior to your arrival. It beats having this conversation upon your arrival doesn’t it?". So I should be grateful that he confessed his incompetence four days after he confirmed a reservation that didn't really exist rather than 8 weeks after?

If they are this bad at simply making reservations, I can’t imagine they’re any better at performing the other basic functions of a hotel.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Attitude of staff
Stayed December 2008, travelled on business
1 Thank Ramjet81
Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 October 2008

Just about OK for a one night stay...The room was small with very poor lighting, no tea or coffee making facilities and a bed which was like sleeping on a plank. There were no spare pillows in the room.

The bathroom was decent size with a shower enclosure over the bath. However there was no bathmat.

Patio door leading to small deck area with seats.

The food was OK, this was a meal pre-booked for a tour group and was a reasonable price considering there was nothing else available in the area for a tour group.

I would not choose to stay here again, it is what it is described as a ski resort hotel and quite basic.

Internet facilities in lobby which were not working when we tried.

• Liked — Charming elderly American gent I was chatting to in lobby
  • Disliked — Just about everything, not my type of hotel
  • Stayed October 2008
1 Thank SENORAWestMidlands
Bay City, Michigan
common_n_hotel_reviews_1bd8 2,383 helpful votes
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 October 2008

We thought hard about reserving this motel in Stowe for our fall foliage trip to Vermont and New Hampshire. I tried getting opinions on the motel from the Vermont forum, but that was for naught, I don't think one person answered my different queries. So, we went ahead with the reservations and now I wish I had listened to my gut instinct. The place could be a little gem for Stowe. The prices were one of the lowest around (now I know why) and they had vacancy up until the Saturday of Columbus Day weekend, another sign I should have taken into consideration. However, I saw several motels with half full parking lots in Stowe, so they couldn't be full either.

Checkin was quick, the lobby is nice, various books, magazines lying around for you to peruse. No fire in the fireplace. The office looks to be a mess, as they keep the door open from the back hall. A computer is available for your use, but we did not partake. I believe there might be games also, but never saw anyone playing. Our room was okay, it was clean upon arrival, the bathroom was nice-looks to have been recently remodeled. We had a nice deck to use, but there were leaves all over in piles, and the furniture (2 chairs and a small table) were filthy. So, we never sat out there, though the weather was perfect for doing so. The room was very warm, and we had to keep that deck door open most of the time we were there during the daytime. The hallways are extremely dark and hot. Our bed was terrible, very, very uncomfortable. Our remote broke the 2nd day, and they did fix that by our return later in the evening. Our room, however, was not cleaned that day. Our room was also very dusty upon arrival-the headboard, the lamps, the clock, the nightstands, like the old saying, had an inch of dust on them. The room decor is cute. The shower pressure, the plugs, the phone, the lighting all worked. The lighting, however is pretty poor, just 2 lamps on the nightstands and not bright enough to read well.

I found the 2 men working the desk (morning/afternoon shift and then evening shift) both rude, uninformative, and cocky as hell. When I inquired about our room not being cleaned, I was told it had been listed as clean, when I again stated it was not cleaned at all, they just stared at me, and then offered a lame apology. No compensation upon check-out. So, I asked for one-a meager one at that, and he stated, "Do you want the change that is in my pocket?" I also inquired of the evening person about getting the room cleaned and his response, "I wasn't here during the day, not my problem." I think that says it all-customer service is their lowest priority at this place. Every time I called, they were very odd. Another sign I should have listened to!

The pool looks to be in need of some paint and maintenance. We did not swim, but you can see a lot of rust stains and scrapped paint off the bottom of the pool and the steps. Very, very hot in there. The game room has 3 games, 2 vending machines and a very dusty, old TV sitting on the floor with a note that it doesn't work-hello-maybe take it out of the room. They also have a sauna, but I wouldn't step foot in it-lol. The breakfast was lacking, in everything. Coffee not hot. A couple of hard muffins left, and this was 45 minutes before it ended. There is a decent sized room downstairs with a small bar, but it appears that it is not in operation as a restaurant/bar.

The grounds are pretty. There is a river running along the back of this property, and we saw someone working outside a few times. There are Halloween/fall decorations; flowers. Parking is adequate.

If they put some upkeep into the place, and changed their entire customer service attitude, things would improve and it could be a nice place (and replace those mattresses-OMG-bad!). Too bad it doesn't offer these basic things as a motel should.

• Liked — Location, property is on a river, scenic
  • Disliked — Management attitude towards customers, cleanliness, the BED
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank tymetraveler222
New Hampsire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 September 2008

I arrived at this Inn on a snowy day in March. The staff was very helpful with our luggage, ask if we had eaten, and directed us to a simple but comfortable room with a beautiful view of a frozen river and the mountain. I would recommend this inexpensive Inn to anyone who asks about my trip to Stowe. I enjoyed sitting in the lobby lounge visit with Tim, Rebecca, Mihaela and the cook, David and his brother, John. I felt like I was in a families living room with my closest friends. I had a wonderful stay and hope to get back to the Mountaineer soon.

• Liked — The Price and the Staff
  • Disliked — It needs a fully stocked bar and bartender.
  • Stayed March 2008, travelled as a couple
New Hampshire
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2008

This property is going down hill very quickly. Our room was a mess, the table and chairs were both broken and crudely screwed back together, the bathroom shower doors literally fell off the track if you tried to move them. The halls are so dark and dank you can barely see. The owner/caretaker was rude and crass to guests. The staff was not very attentive at all. Our room never got cleaned until 6pm and we had vacated it for the day so it isn't as though we were in there and they couldn't enter. I will never return to this property. I would not stay there if the room was free!

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Everything
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled with family