“Very nice”

Ranked #8 of 24 Hotels in Stowe
Montreal, Canada
“Very nice”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 February 2008

We enjoyed our week-end getaway at the Stoweflake Resort. The staff was friendly and efficient, the room (#307, overlooking the courtyard) was spacious and comfortable, and the fireplace much appreciated. There was some noise (music) on Saturday night, but not loud enough to disturb our sleep. Still, if this is a concern, simply request a room away from the reception hall. The front desk clerks were very accomodating and helpful. Overall, a very pleasant and enjoyable experience. Will probably return this summer or fall.

• Stayed February 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (142)
Cary, North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 February 2008

My wife and I stayed at the Stoweflake in late January to go cross country skiing, and snow shoeing, as well as relax.

The cross country ski trail on the resort's property is average at best as well as the bike trail path directly across the street. They are both free, but neither were daily machine groomed trails. Both of these trails were fine for show shoeing. I would instead recommend the Trapp Family Nordic Center which is a short drive (about 5 mins.) up the mountain on the Trapp Family Lodge's property. The trails there are daily groomed and were the best trails in the area.

The Stoweflake was excellent for relaxtion. The onsite spa was nice, perhaps a little more expensive than I am used to, as most of the prices are twice as expensive as previous spas I have been too, but it provided a very relaxing environment, nevertheless.

The facility also has an indoor, and outdoor pool, an outdoor jacuzzi, a sauna, a ping pong table, indoor volleyball court, and a very nice workout room. There were two restaurant's - Charlie B's and the Winfield's Bistro. Charlie B's was good for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Winfield's was more upscale having recieved the AAA 4 diamond award. I enjoyed the food at both restaurants with no complaints. I like trying new food's and would certainly eat at Winfield's again--The French Onion soup was the best I've ever had (and that's saying alot)...I had the Pheasant for dinner, and Baked Alaskan for dessert both good choices. For the average diner, this is a good restaurant to take your wife or girlfriend for a nice evening out. The wine selection was extensive and I think that was the best asset at Winfield's.

Also, a very helpful service was provided by the concierge, to help plan activities in the area. If you need help with what to do, they will call attractions for you and book activities, and call taxi services to pick you up.

Finally, we stayed in the standard King size room, and it was clean and comfortable. We experienced an issue with the toilet not flushing, and a serviceman was there within 30 minutes to resolve the issue for us.

• Liked — The Spa
  • Disliked — On site cross country ski trails were average at best
  • Stayed January 2008, travelled as a couple
long Island,NY
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 January 2008

I will begin by saying my friend and I were very excited to go to the spa while our men skied. First off when we entered no one showed us around the spa to show us where the lockers were or how they work, and after we changed we were told “we need you”. Then after a lengthy conversation on the phone about wanting women masseuses and being assured we would get one, my friend gets a man. So we proceeded to our spa session…which by NY standards was less than mediocre. The masseuses were very nice but that’s not what you pay for is it? So we moved on to our Aromatherapy manicure that was 45 dollars. It was a 10 dollars NY manicure plus a fancy cream, and on top of that I got the worst bubbles in the nail polish that I have ever seen in my life. A 13 year old or my husband could paint them better. He even commented that although he doesn’t know much about manicures they look horrendous and couldn’t believe they would let me walk out like that. After the manicure we just asked to have out nails painted clear for fear of bubbles! It just might have been my manicurist because my friend’s nails were not that bad although they did chip in one day. It appears that everyone does everything there... a manicurist that does facials and blows out hair? I’ve never seen that. FYI.. If you see your manicurist places your hand flat on the table to paint your nails and not hold your hand to do it run….or ask for someone else. I should have known. I’ll be trying Topnotch

• Stayed January 2008, travelled as a couple
3 Thank maipn1
stephanyk, General Manager, Vice President at Stoweflake Mountain Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 7 March 2008
Thank you for taking the time to express your feelings on your recent experience at the Spa at Stoweflake. We always appreciate comments and suggestions from our guests. Our goal is to please our guests and make their stay with us a pleasant experience.

I have reviewed your concerns with the Spa management team and have confirmed that more attention to detail is taken. We are committed to providing an outstanding spa experience and maintaining our AAA 4-diamond status in which we are so proud.

If you’d like, I am personally available to discuss your experience further. Again, thank you for your feedback and we look forward to hosting your return visit.

Sheri Baraw-Smith
General Manager & Vice President
UK
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 January 2008

As UK travellers we thought that the Stoweflake Mountain Resort is in a lovely part of New Eng , however if at all possible this resort should be avoided if they have a "wedding" taking place & on our stay there was a huge "wedding" under way when we arrived on a Sat pm as part of a tour so we didnt get a choice of when to stay there.

Our stay happened to arrive us at the Stoweflake on a Sat & could see full well that a "wedding" was going on as the bride & groom were proudly outside with many family/friends inside & outside when we checked in. Because of this we asked the friendly staff if we could be at all situated in a room away from the "wedding" party so she kindly gave us a "court-yard" room which was very clean & comfortable but unfortunately it was on the ground floor so during the early hours of the morning we had a bunch of young members talking & laughing outside of our room clearly guests of the "wedding" party who we realized the next morning were staying in the next room to us. They were very rude & wouldnt leave when politely asked to keep the noise down once outside our room at 3.00am then again at 5.00am so we didnt have a good nights sleep!

I spoke to the management the following morning to complain & was informed that I should of called security. Well if this was the case then where was security? This was a ground-floor room so surely security should of been patrolling the area.

It was a disppointing stay in such a nice resort & we were given a complimentary bottle of wine for the inconvenience.

• Stayed September 2006, travelled as a couple
South Lanarkshire, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 January 2008

A beautiful hotel and superb location.
The staff are super friendly and extremley helpful.
We stayed there with our 2 sons age 10 and 12, in a suite , it was gorgeous and the jacuzzi bath was great to ease aching muscles.we had a main bedroom and a pull out bed in the lounge, a good amount of space, not overcrowded as we were there for 2 weeks.The boys thought the pools, jacuzzi and games room were excellent. We were there for a snowboarding holiday and loved the fact that after a day on the slopes we could just hand our boards to the door man and he would take care of them for us.
Nice apres ski.
The spa is a must, absolutely stunning, well worth the money, as is the main resturant Winfields.
All in all a great holiday.
Stwoe is a beautiful village, great to unwind and relax.

• Liked — staff and location
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed January 2008, travelled with family
2 Thank petal37
New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 January 2008

My husband and I stayed over New Years weekend, granted a very busy weekend at the hotel. The room in the spa wing was spacious with a comfortable bed and gas fireplace -- no complaints. I also received two great spa treatments at the in-house spa. Despite the great amenities, the service in the restaurants just did not meet the standard of the hotel. A room service order was incomplete and had to be sent back. The first evening at dinner we waited at least 15 minutes before our waiter came to take our drink order or bring bread. Multiple service issues at breakfast from never receiving menus (good thing for the buffet) to asking multiple times for drinks that never arrived. The spa also seemed understaffed -- no clean towels at one point and only one attendant picking up used towels and robes. I understand during a busy holiday period service may not be perfect, but considering the price charged by the hotel during that period, it is a problem that should be addressed.

• Liked — Great room and spa treatments
  • Disliked — Service
  • Stayed December 2007, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Wanderer30
Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 January 2008

The Stoweflake was wonderful. Before our trip their vacation planner called us three times to ensure we were able to get reservations for the things we wanted to do (snowmobile, sleigh ride) and places we wanted to eat (Whip) during the busy weekend (MLK). We arrived in Stowe and first went to the gondola and ate at the Cliff house for lunch. Nice view, fun ride, bad food. Then we went to the sleigh ride at Gentle Giants reserved for us by the Stoweflake (no calling around). The ride was very nice...through some woods...about 20 minutes. We went sledding at the hill behind the elementary school which the Stoweflake personnel told us about after listening to our wishes. Great hill and soooo much fun. We had bought sleds for $9 dollars in Burlingtion (Kmart), but the Stoweflake will loan you some if you ask at the Sports desk. We showed up after dark and the Stoweflake has white lights everywhere and was so pretty. The front desk was fast and the luggage was taken to our room by the bellhop. I had to park myself...no valet. Our room was just perfect and spacious...two queen beds and fireplace, refrigerator, coffee pot, granite two sink bathroom. Our room number was 418 in the spa wing. The kids (ages 11 & 12) went to the game room, played raquette (sp?) ball and then to the hot tub. My sister and I went to the bar (very cosy) and the staff was nice and recommened a great pizza place (pie-casso) that delivered to our room as we didn't feel like what they had on their menu. very cool. The next day while the kids were in the snowboard camp, we went to the spa in the robes from our room. The spa staff was GREAT. We also used the snowshoes (free) at the sports desk and went for a walk. The boys really liked having things to do at the resort and loved the cookies at tea time.

The only negative was the staff during breakfast. They seemed to be new or just not up to the level of a four star hotel. We did not receive refreshed coffee and my lox showed up without the capers as advertised. When I asked for some, I was told they were out....why wasn't I told before or at least as soon as they realized or when it was delivered? Just dropped in front of me and I had to call her back to ask. We had two different waiters two different mornings and about the same service....ask for coffee, etc. It was a busy weekend and we figured the Stoweflake upped their staff....I can only assume that it would be different another time as the rest of the services was great.

Oh, one more tiny complaint. The maids didn't replace the used water glasses and we had to track some down two out of the three nights of our stay. Probably another result of the busy weekend, but should service suffer when the rates actually increase during that time?

Overall, we all LOVED it and would recommend it to anyone. We went up to the Trapp lodge to look around and felt we made a better choice.

Now the new lodge being built at the ski resort looked very nice....

• Liked — the spa
  • Disliked — breakfast service
  • Stayed January 2008, travelled with family