“Wonderful week-end getaway!”

Ranked #9 of 24 Hotels in Stowe
Reviewed 15 July 2013

I visited the Stoweflake Mountain Resort & Spa this July for a week-end getaway. It was our first visit and we really enjoyed it! It is a short drive from Montreal and it is a charming area with lots of nice boutiques, great restaurant and beautiful scenery. The resort is wonderful, as it provides everything you might need while on-house. The room was spacious and comfortable, and the bathroom was nice. We enjoyed the great pool, the hot tub, the complimentary internet access, the gym, the bike rental, as well as the Hot Air Balloon Festival, which is located on site. We also had breakfast at the Charlie B's, where we received wonderful service on both occasion. We will certainly be back in a near future, as it was a perfect getaway!

Room Tip: Visit during the Hot Air Balloon Festival, you will have an amazing experience!

Reviewed 10 July 2013

Overall a great experience at the hotel/resort, rooms are clean and well maintained, just dont get the room near the sports club, was kinda loud.
Its next to a beautiful trail that leads you into town, takes about 30 mins to walk in but well worth it.
Nice outside pool, little pitch and putt and overall grounds.
Stowe is such a great place to visit and has so much to offer any season. Have fun.

Reviewed 8 July 2013

WE stayed here over the 4th of Jluy. The price is quite high but the biggest thing about Stoweflake is the service the staff is always helpful and very friendly. You really feel pampered. A really great example was caused by my needing a shower after running a 1/2 marathon after we checked out - all of the facilities were open to me just like we were still cheked in and my wife wanted to get car keys to me and the person at the sports desk took the keys and found me but since i was in the shower - he was caref ul to make sure i knew where the keys had been left. Outstanding!!

Reviewed 1 July 2013

Stowe VT is a very beautiful place. Stayed at the Stoweflake Mountain Resort & Spa because I was attending a conference that was there. I arrived after a 4 hour drive in the pouring rain and was greeted by the bellman at the door. Pleasant young man who preceded to ask me questions of my visit. I understand his questioning but I felt as though I had to stay right where I was and answer the questions before I could enter the lobby.
The desk clerk was very helpful and gave me good information about the facilities and directions to me room.
Upon entering my room there was an unpleasant stale odor. The bed was too soft for me and sloped in the middle.
Spacious enough for two people. The bathroom was very nice - lots of room - so much room that I could leave the ironing board and iron setup under the sink.
Checked on the hours & operations of the in/out door pools and jacuzzi and was all set to use them the next day. Went to use the out door pool it was closed due to a problem, I thought it was because of the rain, so I checked the indoor pool, which had a really bad odor, closed due to levels of bacteria and they were being cleaned - also the jacuzzi was closed because of the issues. Clayton, a wonderful young man who was working the sports center, suggested that he contact the Spa to see if they would let me in to use the facility because of the issues with the pools. In Clayton's words "it never hurts to ask" Clayton went above a beyond what he had to do and the Spa allowed me to visit. It was the best time. A quiet, peaceful environment to be in. The Spa staff (Mia or Moia) were extremely helpful and pleasant and made me feel very welcomed.
Went for a walk through their fitness trail on the property and it wasn't bad. It is about a mile round trip. It did rain the whole time I was there so I wasn't able to get out and use most of the amenities that are offered. I did see everything set up and ready to go if you wanted to play. The Spa Cafe is good, I didn't eat just chatted with the server who was pleasant. The resort is only 1.3 miles from Stowe center which has great little shops and eateries. And the amazing recreational path which you can walk or run and whatever you choose, I suggest that you ride your bike and bring a picnic lunch.
Then, on my last night, the A/C was leaking (apparently for sometime) and soaking a third of my room. The rug was sopping wet, I contacted the front desk (they said sorry) which contacted security who brought me three towels to put on the floor and he said sorry and that that was all that they could do for me. Didn't even offer to move me to another room. That was frustrating, due to that fact that I was having to avoid the wet area which began four steps into the room and was growing. Getting up at night and forgetting to jump over the wet rug and walking through it was an awaking experience.

Room Tip: My room was on the first floor in the 200 section - the generator was under my room so you would hea...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
StoweflakeGM, General Manager at Stoweflake Mountain Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 22 July 2013

Dear Unfreakenbelievable,

I want to thank you for traveling from such a long distance to take part in your conferences that were held here and, especially, for taking the time to share the details of your stay with us. I appreciate that you were able to inform me about the room and pool situations.

I am very sorry to hear about the problem with the AC unit, and most importantly that you were not assisted further more. I am personally going to address the problem and see that this doesn’t happen again.

I agree we should have properly informed you as well about maintenance being done to the pools. We try to let all guests know about any updates in order to avoid inconveniencing you and regrettably did not reach you with this information.

I, personally, will look further into these issues that you have kindly brought to my attention. I am, however, glad to know that you had a great exchange with Clayton and our Spa staff, who were able assist you in finding an alternative to the pools and that you were able to experience our Spa. I am also pleased to hear you experienced the fitness trail and recreation bike path, even in the rain. I commend your adventurous attitude.

Again, thank you for taking the time to let us know about the entirety of your stay and I hope that we can make it up to you in your next stay with us.

Sheri Baraw Smith, General Manager, Co-Owner

Reviewed 27 June 2013

I cannot say enough about the staff. Holy smokes, they have the same level of service as any 5-star New York, Vegas, or international hotel, but without the "city attitude". I was blown away by the fact that **each and every staff member I came in contact with** did or said something that made me stop and say to myself, "Wow, these guys are great!" The outstanding service started before I had even arrived. I was a participant in a summer professional conference, and was worried about a registration confirmation email that I hadn't received--and here it was the day before my arrival. There was some additional minor confusion about a notice on the conference's website. For a few minutes there, I was panicked that my particular program had been cancelled, etc. Not knowing what to do, I called Stoweflake and Tyler answered. He was patient, empathetic, and 100% focused on assisting in my unconventional situation. Within 23 minutes of talking to him, I had received a call back from a member of the summer conference staff, and she resolved my quandary. None of that would have happened without Tyler. I was so happy to thank him in person on Wednesday morning! I jokingly called Ian the Secretary of State for his ability to genuinely engage each person he came across in the Lobby and truly listen to what they had to say. After only a short conversation with Susi, she intuited that I needed a more efficient driving route back home to NJ, so she spent another 15 minutes with me, going over the route on a big map of Vermont. My only regret was that I didn't get a chance to learn the names of the many staff members who, in their unassuming and humble way, went above and beyond to create a warm and caring environment of people who seemed to really care about doing their jobs at a high level. The staff who cleared the tables after each breakfast and lunch treated all of us like people that they had known for years. This is not an exaggeration! Do yourself a favor and order the blueberry pancakes with Vermont maple syrup. Amazing! My room was top-notch and the facilities were excellent--but the employees really made the difference. There's just no substitute for wonderful people. I hope those folks keep doing what they are doing. It's working! With great appreciation, Kevin

Reviewed 26 June 2013

I arrived at the Stoweflake with very high expectations. Stoweflake certainly presents beautifully. It doesn't always pass muster. I arrived on a Sunday, and after checking into a very lovely townhouse I went to the bar/restaurant for lunch. I was greeted in the bar with a smell that I could only describe as "funk". The service was haphazard and the food was just okay. (I had a lunch bento box and the dessert, which was homemade ice cream, was not edible. Even after returning it for more, the second serving was worse and while the waiter said he would remove it from my bill, he did not. Our waiter was distracted from serving folks in the bar to "running room service" and it felt as if that took priority. As i spent a couple more days at the resort, I have to say there were things that were lovely, and things that were just unacceptable. For instance - the resort itself has a lovely vibe - things look "nice" - but then you sit on a sofa or a chair in a common area and you find things are just worn out. My king size bed, that was in the townhousem was worn beyond anything you would find in a cheap motel. After putting up with it for 2 nights I finally complained, and after excuses rather that solutions, I was moved to the "main house" to a lovely room with a fireplace. Public bathrooms are clean, but not always fresh smelling, and many common area carpets are very worn. Temperatures within the resort are extremely inconsistent - warm to hot from area to area - and internet is "spotty". Overall the staff works very hard, and I'd say that other dining experiences at the hotel were acceptably, but not memorable for a 4 diamond resort. All in all, would I come back - yes, but as another reviewer said, not at full price. However, if the resort ownership decides to do a remodel, this would be once fantastic place!!!

Room Tip: Rooms within the resort are extremely comfortable. The townhouses are lovely, but quite far from th...

Dear Frequent-Traveler901,

I am very disappointed to hear that your stay wasn’t up to your expectations. Here at Stoweflake we also place the highest expectations on our facilities and staff in order to meet our guests’, like your, confidence in our resort.

We are pleased to tell you that we are currently undergoing a refresh project and replacing bedding and linen ensembles in all of the rooms as well as assuring that the wireless in the resort is running smoothly at all times. I hope that you will find these changes refreshing as well.

I truly appreciate that you were able to bring these issues to my attention so that I may take immediate, corrective measures in order to exceed your expectations during your next stay. I hope that we can make it up to you in the near future.

Sheri Baraw Smith, General Manager, Co-Owner

Reviewed 15 June 2013

This is a really nice place. The pool is good, and they had someone giving free hand massages. The location is really excellent, and the grounds are lush. It's right next to the Stowe Recreation trail (biking, walking/running), which is also really nice, and close to lots of attractions. The amenities are nice- there are really nice TVs and robes for you to use.
The spa was good- a little pricey and not the best massage, but paying $20 to use the spa facilities isn't a bad idea. It's a little sanctuary full of a hot salt bath, a waterfall bath, and a jacuzzi and really nice service and amenities.
I would come back here. As far as business goes, the lecture sort of hall wasn't the best but it was pretty good and everyone who worked here was really nice.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Stowe
Stowe Mountain Lodge
Field Guide
Field Guide
#8 of 24 in Stowe
The Essex, Vermont's Culinary Resort & Spa

Been to Stoweflake Mountain Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!