“-- not worth the money --” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Stoweflake Mountain Resort & Spa

Stoweflake Mountain Resort & Spa
Ranked #8 of 24 Hotels in Stowe
Essex, Vermont
“-- not worth the money --”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 January 2014

I stayed at the Stoweflake last weekend and was less than impressed for the money. At almost $200 per night the rooms are very out dated, we didn't have wifi, the door handle kept falling off and our room was pretty far from everything. The most disappointing part was the Spa. The facility is nice but the staff was young and unprofessional. When you check in for a spa service they have you fill out a standard form with all information on it and they make you hold on to it to give it to your service provider. Never have I been to a spa and had to hold onto paperwork while trying to relax and enjoy the other relaxation areas... Seriously it's not that hard to have someone collect them and give them to the service provider. The massage was uncomfortable and not worth the money. The movements were fast and jerky, their was no music and they squirted the oils on me like someone was peeing on me! Find another place in Stowe for the money!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank LoveVT22

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (138)
Philadelphia Suburbs
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 January 2014

This was my first week long ski vacation in 30 years. Staying at the Meadows at Stoweflake Townhouses was the perfect location. Our group had a 3 bedroom unit that had everything we needed. 2 of the three bedrooms had whirlpool baths and fireplaces. Nice big fireplace in the living room, full kitchen with everything we needed. All rooms were nicely decorated. Lots of closet space, perfect for all that extra skiing "stuff" you'll be bringing in addition to all the winter coats, jackets, sweaters, and regular clothing one needs to put away. Skis closets outside of every unit too. One in the party did a spa day and she really enjoyed it with a nice included lunch. All the employees we came in contact with were extremely helpful and delivered items we ran out of within minutes of calling. We ate at the onsite restaurant and thought it was good. The location was convenient to town and all the shops and restaurants along the main road and a very short drive to Stowe Mountain Skiing as well. I would not hesitate to go back and hope to make it again next year.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MalvernGuy
Connecticut
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 January 2014

This was our third visit to the Stoweflake and most likely our last. We have a large family and stayed in two adjoining townhouses over the Christmas holiday and ended up leaving 2 nights early because the accommodations were so poor.

Dirty dishes in the cabinet, sparse utensils in the kitchen, threadbare sheets and sinking mattresses on the beds, and pillows of such poor quality that it I truly wished that I had brought my own.

When we arrived 2 light fixtures and bulbs in the master bath were left on the counter. Maintenance came and fixed the problem but left muddy footprints all over the bathroom rug.

One night the concierge made a dinner reservation for us at a restaurant she recommended. When we got to the restaurant the they did not have a table for us and claimed they did not receive a call from the Stoweflake. They kindly squeezed my family of 8 in the bar area at a table made for 6.

I did speak with the Reservations Supervisor Stephanie about how displeased we were with our stay and she said she would leave a message for the general manager.....5 days later.....I have yet to hear from him. Not the best customer service for a repeat visitor.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank CMFAR6
StoweflakeGM, General Manager at Stoweflake Mountain Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 9 January 2014
Dear CMFAR6,

I first wanted to thank you for sharing the details of your stay with us at Stoweflake. I appreciate that you have repeatedly stayed here and am sorry that you had to leave early. I have tried looking into these issues you’ve described but I’m hoping that you will take the time to reach out to me personally so that I can help resolve this issue with you. I again want to apologize for this stay with us that did not reach your expectations and hope to talk to you soon.

Best,

800-253-2232
V.P. and General Manager
Wood Ridge, New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 January 2014

We stayed at the Meadows townhouses and they were very nice. We were pleasantly surprised. We were 8 people(two families) and had more than enough room to spread out and relax. There were 4 full baths which was nice and two fireplaces and five tv's!. The amenities were all there, although wifi was spotty. We did use the indoor pool one night and the kids liked it. Some of our party also used the outdoor hot tub (in 12 degree weather!) -its an interesting feature for those who like to try something different. The outdoor pool wasn't open when we wanted to try it though. As for the spa- the well being, full body massage was amazing! Barbara was the therapist, and she was wonderful! Only thing is they tacked on the 20% gratuity and didn't tell me. I noticed it on the receipt I was given, but it could be missed. I've never seen that before. My massage was worth the gratuity though! The Hungarian mineral bath was nice and different to try in the spa center. That area is co-ed. Overall its a nice place to stay.

Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Allentown, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 December 2013

We stayed at the Stoweflake for 4 nights, over the long holiday weekend. We originally had planned to stay at Topnotch but waited too long to make reservations there, so I am probably reviewing this hotel with a second-choice bias.

My overall impression of the Stoweflake is that it is a good base for a ski trip but not for someone seeking high-end luxury accommodations. We stayed during the expensive holiday season but got a 20% discount that was posted on the Stoweflake website. (To get the discount, one had to make a phone reservation and make reference to the online promotion.) For the price point we paid and for the purpose of our visit (skiing), I was satisfied with the Stoweflake and had an enjoyable visit.

First, let me state that the staff at the Stoweflake is very friendly. We felt very welcomed. Afternoon tea, hot chocolate and cookies (from 3 - 5pm typically) were a nice treat.

We stayed in the second level (Luxury) of five room types. This room type worked out well for our ski trip. It was very spacious (over 450 sq ft), nicely decorated and had a comfortable bed along with a gas fireplace, which was great for drying out wet ski gloves and neck gaiters, etc. In addition to a regular closet, there was a closet with shelves, another nice feature for laying out ski clothing. The bathroom was a good size but rather dated. Maybe the more expensive room types have renovated bathrooms.

Additionally, some of the public areas (such as hallways, carpeting, sauna) of the hotel are in need of refurbishment and do not exude a high-end resort feel. The outdoor pool and hot tub were inviting, but we never managed to check them out. There are also fitness classes (yoga, pilates, spinning) in the mornings and evenings (for $10 per class per guest).

We did not realize the hotel was pet-friendly. We could hear a dog faintly barking down the hall from us one night and again the next morning. It was not loud enough to make us call in a complaint to the front desk, but loud enough to disturb us a little bit. Possibly, the Stoweflake has certain section designated for pets and certain sections designated pet-free.

On our third full day at the Stoweflake, we enjoyed the spa, particularly wonderful deep tissue massages. I thought the co-ed lounge area could be a little larger and quieter. (It is located in the same room as the waterfall hydrotherapy, which feels great on one's back, but is noisy whenever motion-activated.) That said, the separate lounge areas were very relaxing and quiet. Lunch can be taken at the spa. I would not hesitate to use the spa again.

Two restaurants in Stowe that we really enjoyed were the Bistro at Ten Acres Lodge (~3 minutes away by car) and Harrison's (~7 minutes away, in town). Casual attire is fine at both. One morning we walked into the tiny, but charming downtown, along the meandering 2 mile recreation path that passes right by the hotel.

Bottom line:

If I was heading up to Stowe again for a ski trip, I definitely would consider staying in a similarly-sized spacious room at the Stoweflake. There is on-site ski storage. The free Stowe shuttle bus stops at the hotel every 20-30 minutes, depending on the time of day, and only has a couple of stops before reaching the ski resort in less than 10 minutes. (Topnotch Resort is closer to the mountain, maybe a 5 minute shuttle ride.) Plus, after you are done skiing, you can get a great massage at the Stoweflake to relax any aching muscles.

However, if I was heading up to Stowe purely for a luxury spa get-away, I probably would check out either the recently renovated Topnotch or Stowe Mountain Lodge instead.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the inner quad rather than facing the parking lot, particularly if on the firs...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Deb G
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 November 2013

We stayed at the Meadows Townhouses in the Stoweflake Resort last month and absolutely loved it. The Stoweflake is very convenient to town and all the restaurants. The hotel is right on the Rec Path so we took our bikes and rode to town through the path that meanders by the river.

Our unit was very large and luxurious - full kitchen, living room, 2 fireplaces, Jacuzzi tub, in front of a nice pond with sunset views. There is lot of privacy since they are separated from the main hotel, but yet close enough that it makes for a very pleasant walk through the hotel grounds. The entire resort is impeccably clean and has plenty of amenities - so many that we didn't use them all and plan to come back.

Our kids favorite time was "Tea Time"... Every day at 3pm the hotel puts out coffee and tea along with freshly baked cookies for the guests. My kids plan their afternoon schedule around the 3pm tea time! The staff was extremely friendly and made us feel at home. We met Mark at the front desk who was very helpful and Brooke who showed us around the hotel even though that wasn't her job. Many thanks to both!!

We would highly recommend the Stoweflake and especially the Meadows units for families, or small or large groups of people that want a place to relax.

Room Tip: Ask for the Meadows units facing the big pond for a more relaxed setting.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
StoweflakeGM, General Manager at Stoweflake Mountain Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 10 December 2013
Dear Carlos L,

I truly wanted to thank you for sharing the details of your stay with us! I really enjoyed reading it and learning all of what you were able to do while here. We’re glad we could help plan the kid’s day out over Tea and Cookies- it’s always a great pick-me-up every mid-afternoon.

I’m pleased to hear that the Meadows Townhouses fit your time here well and we look forward to having you back in the near future to try out some more things to do! If you ever need tips- feel free to call our Mountain Vacation Planners Desk before your stay at 802-760-1126.

Thanks again for sharing!

General Manager and V.P.
Boston
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 November 2013

I had stayed here during the week for work and it was very quiet, which was great for the ammenities (gym usage). The room and bathroom was very spacious and clean. It had a nice fireplace with a timer in the room, which I enjoyed. One of the days the items weren't restocked in the bathroom. The key to get in the room and to open the door I had to retry numerous times. It would get stuck. The gym has many options for equipment, but it needs a little updating in there. Some of the equipment had noticeable rust on it. They do have other options like an indoor pool and an onsite spa, which I heard was nice. I would recommend someone stay here, but I know there are also a lot of other options in the area I would also scope out personally.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Dear Misstoscana,

Thank you for your feedback from your stay with us here at Stoweflake. We always strive to exceed our guests expectations and it’s unfortunate to hear otherwise. I am thankful, however, that you were able to bring some issues to my attention, all of which I will look into including the keypads working properly on the doors.

I do hope you come back to enjoy our spa and other on-site amenities such as the indoor/outdoor pool. They are both a great hit come winter time along with many more activities happening on site.

Again, I’m sorry to hear about the inconveniences of your stay and I hope you find we can make it up to you on your next stay with us.

Best,