“Needs some updating”

Stoweflake Mountain Resort & Spa
Ranked #9 of 24 Hotels in Stowe
Reviewed 18 August 2014 via mobile

My husband and I returned to the Stoweflake after two years. The Stoweflake is actually where my husband proposed. They put our traveling friends in the room we had last time (Room 503) and put my husband and I in the room they had last time (Room 505). In our room, #505, you can see the wallpaper seams peeling back, patchy ceiling repair near the smoke detector, and corrosion on the metal finishes of the bathroom, such as the fire sprinkler and shower head. Despite the hotel attempting to go green and help the environment, which I LOVE, the shower head dispersed a lot of water. It also needs to be cleaned because there are parts of the shower head where the water gathers and it kind of hurts to wash yourself under the spray. It's like the poor man's jet spray. The bed is rather lumpy and difficult to find a comfortable spot. I, myself, am a side sleeper and woke up with sore joints.
The indoor pool looked like it needed to be cleaned, perhaps since there were kids going outside into the hot tub and then back into the indoor pool. The tiles on the hot tub are falling off.
The spa, on the other hand, is a completely different story. It is amazing as ever! We are never disappointed with a day at the spa. The mineral water in the hot tub and waterfall is relaxing. I love the cucumber water in the waiting area, it's the simplest thing. Cucumber slices and water, but tastes like heaven.
Mark at the front desk is wonderfully helpful and very friendly. I wanted to get a gift into our friend's room since we were traveling up from Rhode Island for her birthday. I got a bottle of the Rosemary Mint shampoo and conditioner along with a birthday card. He tried FOUR times to get it to their room, but because they had the 'Do Not Disturb' sign on their door, they couldn't deliver it. 'A' for effort, though.
I'm writing this review as honest as possible because I really do love the hotel and its location. I would hate to see the Stoweflake as another establishment that has shut its doors like many other places in Stowe.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Sally N

Reviewed 18 August 2014

We booked this a few days prior to the Antique Car show. Hoping to find any room, we called the Visitors Center in Stowe, who suggested several options for us. This sounded best suited for our needs. What a special treat upon arrival, to be upgraded from our expected room. It was a king room with fireplace, mini-fridge, and large bathroom. Very quiet. Towels/linens high quality. Room met the 4 Star hotel rating. The Concierge service was extremely helpful to us regarding bike trails and restaurants in Stowe. Charlie B's was a nice venue for dinner. Location is great for other dining venues. We would definitely recommend this hotel to other couples and hope to return.

Reviewed 18 August 2014

Really liked our stay at the Stoeflake. Room was spacious with a large bathroom. Front desk was friendly and helpful. Concierge, Susi, was wonderful, very helpful in recommending things to do in the area and restaurants to eat at. Convenient to restaurants and shopping and other local activities. Both indoor and outdoor pools were nice. Had free WiFi, a must when traveling with teens. Only real complaint was had to request more towels more than once. They didn't replace the same number the few times we needed them. Also some towels had holes in them.
Overall a nice place to stay.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Orirav2014
Reviewed 17 August 2014

The location is great and the staff was very friendly and helpful. The spa was awesome and the pool area and bartender were very nice. We have stayed here both summer and winter- although not for several years. The rooms are very much in need of an update. They are very dark and I would say "tired". They were however clean.

2  Thank MBMyrtle
Reviewed 15 August 2014

So let me first start with the bad...

Now that I have that done, let me finish with the good...We went to Stoweflake from August 12th-the 15th. It was wonderful. The hotel is immaculate. The service is fabulous. From our check-in with Tyler all the way through our check-out with Tyler the service was always first rate. I love Tyler! Our room which had 2 queens was very big for our needs with any extras you could need. If I had one complaint, I wish there were more towels, although I am sure if I asked they would have given them to me. I only used the outdoor pool one day as the weather was lousy, but it was very nice with a poolside bar. I had a great Bloody Mary. I used the spa 2 days. I had a facial and a massage. Both were excellent. The staff was very informative and helped me pick the best service. The rest of the spa was great. The waterfall was a little hokey but we were on vacation for goodness sake. Breakfast at Charlie B's was good. I prepaid 15.00 per person for breakfast everyday and my husband and I got lox at least twice so it was a good value. "Susi" the concierge was fabulous. Very, very helpful with good recommendations. Truly, this was a wonderful place to go if you are looking for a little getaway.

Reviewed 15 August 2014

We just returned from a two night stay at Stoweflake Mountain Resort in Stowe VT> IT was a great short getaway. The Resort offered more then we could use. We did get a little golf in (9 iron & putter) before the rain. The place was clean and the room we had was very comfortable. We had breakfast at Charlie B' right at the resort which was great. I look forward to a return visit.

Reviewed 12 August 2014

Stayed with a friend in July for a conference. The room was very nice and clean - a tad outdated though. There were two Queen beds and a fireplace and a mini work area. All very nice. The beds were very comfortable. We also used the spa facilities. My masseuse was very friendly, but she did talk too much. At one point it did get a bit annoying. The room I was in was clean and the temperature was nice.... however there was water damage on the ceiling and I couldn't stop staring at it. Also the shower was FREEZING. Nothing I did or the masseuse did would turn the water from FREEZING to even remotely warm - that was very disappointing. The woman at the check-in desk at the spa was not very friendly, but not rude. Something about her was just not very nice.

We were also there for the Stoweflake 28th Balloon Festival which was amazing and beautiful! It was definitely a nice surprise :)

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Melissa C
StoweflakeGM, General Manager at Stoweflake Mountain Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 15 October 2014

Melissa C,

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. I’m sorry to hear that your spa experience was let down by the water temperature, our maintenance crew has since checked out the temperature to return it to normal. In regards to your encounters at the Spa I truly appreciate your feedback, we take our customer service very seriously. We’re pleased you got to use our facilities and hope to see you return again for the Stoweflake Balloon Festival.

Best,