“Excellent dinner”

Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed 30 July 2013

For the last twenty plus years we have visited Stowe, VT and having dinner at the Foxfire is a must.

Reviewed 25 July 2013

I guess I went here with higher expectations based on so many rave reviews...
Apparently, we hold dining out to a different standard...I really wanted to give this a 2 and 1/2 star rating, but that wasn't an option...
We ordered 2 apps, calamari, and mozzarella sticks (our younger son likes those)...sub par at best...calamari was frozen not fresh, and you could taste it..the mozzarella sticks, were 2, that's right TWO triangles for 7 bucks, and, well, were ok...
We each ordered a dish with chicken, piccata, parm, and alfredo...it was basic chicken 101...nothing awful, but nothing great...alfredo sauce tasted like it was out of a jar...piccata and parm were ok, and were served with the tiniest amount of pasta! kind of funny...we all commented on it!
the meal came to $96.90 (1 glass of red wine each...total of 2)
could've gotten this food at any sub/pizza shop
very overpriced, very disappointed...

2  Thank mackytack
Reviewed 7 July 2013

We are staying at the Stowe Mountain Lodge and felt like some good italian food, we tried to go to Trattoriala festa, which is closed on Sundays during the summer. We looked on TripAdvisor and found the Foxfire Inn, we pulled up and were a bit worried about the exterior, we went in and found the Interior to be as equally out dated. I can go honestly say this is a good example of "don't judge a book by its cover", the food was excellent. We had the fried mozzarella and caprese salad to start, both were really good. I had the chicken parm which I enjoyed, the red sauce is bursting with flavor, my wife had the chicken francaise which was excellent and my son had the chicken tenders with penne and butter, two of his favorites which he loved!!! We were to full for desert! Service was good as well!

1  Thank MikeFMaine
Reviewed 12 May 2013

Comfort Foodie alert! I was pleasantly surprised dining here...and now I am left with a craving for their wonderful dishes. The environment is dated, and I wondered about the service for a few minutes. However, all in all I had a great experience and the food was exceptional. I highly recommend if you are in the Stowe area and have a craving for Italian food.

Reviewed 31 March 2013

We were extremely happy with our meal! We were exceedingly happy with the service! The ambience is delightful! If it wasn't for that darned whiff of mildew that apparently emanated from ceiling tiles that showed signs of water damage.

We ordered the leg of lamb special: the lamb was served medium rare with mashed potatoes and asparagus--delightful! We ordered the fetuccine with shrimp--exquisite. We ordered the seafood quinoa--a cut above. We ordered just plain old spaghetti with marina and sausage--super. We passed on appetizers, but the bread sticks were uniquely prepared with garlic and butter. Ah, and the desserts: tiramisu and mousse--superb.The server showed just the right attention without being intrusive; just helpful enough without being overbearing.

The manager told us that the restaurant is closing down for a month because in the shoulder season in Stowe business is slow. We hope they continue the menu just as it is when it re-opens. And we hope they keep the server as well.