“Felt like home!”

Northern Lights Lodge
Ranked #8 of 24 Hotels in Stowe
Reviewed 1 November 2012

I stayed at the Northern Lights Lodge this past Columbus Day weekend with my parents, my boyfriend and my younger brother. I saw a lot of mixed reviews so I didn't really know what to expect but I was pleasantly surprised. The two rooms that we booked were on a corner close to the pool. The pool, by the way, is absolutely adorable and the hot tub took up many of my hours while the Patriot's game was on the Sunday we were there. They also have a game room, which my twenty-something boyfriend and I admittedly spent a few too many quarters on the "Buck Hunter" game (I imagine this room is geared toward children after a long day of skiing - board games and such were available). I had a great time here and the next time I come to Stowe this will be the place I'll book! It's close enough to downtown for a short drive but far enough away that you don't feel like you're in another tourist town. I do have one suggestion though; The TVs in the rooms have DVD players attached but there are no movies to be found. Supplying some movies would be great.

1  Thank Ashley S

Reviewed 26 October 2012

Our family recently had the pleasure of staying at Northern Lights in Stowe, Vt. The owners, Michael and Shannon (nine months pregnant at the time), bent over backwards to make our visit special. Everything--from the service and accommodations to the majestic view from our room--had a special touch to it. A stone's throw from world-class skiing, hiking, and shopping, Northern Lights is a like a living postcard. We won't stay anywhere else!

Room Tip: Make sure you ask for a room by the Little River. The sound of it is enchanting.
2  Thank Rob E
Reviewed 10 October 2012

We stayed in Room 134 which was a Superior Room. It had a good king-sized bed and was convenient for car parking.The bedroom was in very good condition( I liked the furniture) and the bathroom was in the process of refurbishment.
The breakfast(included in the price) was excellent. It was buffet style and constantly being checked and replenished with fresh food.
We used the pool and jacuzzi - both of which were pleasantly warm.
The owner, Michael, was very friendly and helped us make a choice where to eat.
The Lodge is a little out of town but we took taxis to eat out and they cost in the region of $9-$12. They were very punctual and pleasant particularly as we were there at the weekend.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank SuMacd
Reviewed 6 October 2012

We were delighted with our stay at this lodge.We were there to see the foliage in the Stowe area. We had initially booked one value room and one superior room. But while checking in they upgraded the value room to a superior room because someone else had cancelled. That got us off to a great start! The hot cider and cookies at the front desk were a big hit especially with my parents who were tired after a long drive on a rainy afternoon from Stamford, CT. Next, full marks for the breakfast...plenty of juices, Green Mountain Coffee, eggs, meat, cereals, milk, freshly baked muffins and scones (really good), baked potatoes, pancakes, french toasts!!! For a motel which charges close to $70 for a value room (they also offer AAA discounts for larger rooms!), this sort of breakfast was a great value...The hospitality of the owners made it even better. My mom was suffering from cold and wanted hot milk with her cereals and the owners were kind enough to get her some hot milk on all days of our stay. One of the nights we ordered food from a restaurant and forgot to get ketchup. The owners of the lodge were once again kind enough to get us some ketchup at about 9pm. Next up, the owners helped us out with directions to the best spots (areas that had peaked) in the neighborhood for watching the foliage. They had their own map with suggested spots which they were kind enough to scan and make copies for us. The location of the resort was excellent...very close drive to several good restaurants in the area as well as the Smuggler's Notch and the Mt. Mansfield toll road/gandola ride. For a lodge they surprisingly also offer, an indoor pool, whirlpool and sauna! The icing on the cake was the picture perfect river flowing on the back side of the lodge where we took a whole bunch of pictures. The lodge owners should really advertise this hidden gem!! Overall, great value for money! For more money one will obviously find better places to stay. But for the price that these guys charge, I really don't think I could have asked for anything more!

1  Thank Rahul_Prabhu
Reviewed 5 October 2012

Looked great online. Hotel was very outdated and the bathroom was very dirty. Inn keepers were really nice and made us feel at home. Stowe was a awesome town with lots to do. So if you just need a place to lay your head not to bad. There are a ton of other resorts to pick from that I would choose over this place.

Room Tip: Ask for renovated room.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 October 2012

I had the value room small but big enough for one person, hotel staff seem to be one person, many times i would call and would get voice mail. Room could use a lot of work, I can here the person talking in the next room right now. The room has a funky smell that very noticable when you first walk in. i had to borrow a ground adaptor because the room only has two prong sockets

Room Tip: compare it to other hotels
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 26 September 2012

We stayed here for one night in September, we booked the room on the day of our stay and there were no issues with the reservation.

The lodge is located a few minutes from Stowe alongside other motels on the Mountain Road, it's really easy to find.

The receptionist (I think he was the owner) who checked us in was informative, friendly and helpful, there were also home baked cookies in reception which were very nice! Upon check in I was reminded that we had booked a value room with a small bed for 2 people just to ensure I was happy with that. Upon arriving at the room, to be honest the bed isn't that small, if you are from the UK it's the size of a regular double bed.

The room was small, but fine for one night. It's a bit dated but is very similar to other mountain cabin/motel style rooms we have stayed in. They are quite old (still have old electricity sockets), the curtains didn't fit great and the room is in need of a freshen up. It was clean enough but just a bit dusty in places, attention to detail would make it feel cleaner. The in room wi-fi worked very well and was fast and reliable.

The buffet breakfast was excellent, the best we have had during our tour across America. There is cereal, juice, coffee, scrambled eggs, sausages, potatoes, french toast, chocolate chip biscuits, sweet muffins, toast etc. Everything was cooked fresh (which you could tell from the taste) and the muffins / biscuits were home baked. The fireside dining room was very relaxing and this breakfast certainly made up for the dated room!

The room scores an average but the breakfast a very good.

If I passed by Stowe again some time in the future, I would stay here again.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple