“Great Hospitality, Comfort, and Price”

Hob Knob Inn, Bar & Lounge
Ranked #6 of 22 Stowe B&B and Inns
Essex, Massachusetts
“Great Hospitality, Comfort, and Price”
Reviewed 16 August 2013

My husband and I attended the Antique Car Show in Stowe last weekend and the town was full of excitement, lots of people, and hundreds of old cars everywhere! We chose the Hob Knob Inn because it is not far from the show grounds and the town center, and it is on a hill surrounded by nature, and away from the very busy Mountain Road. Our bed was comfortable; the large room was clean; and the outdoor (unheated) pool was refreshing. A simple continental breakfast is included in the price. Barbara and Kate are terrific hostesses, who make you feel welcome!

Room Tip: Room #12 has the air conditioner from the room next door attached to the building in such a way that...
Green Features: Happy that this Inn separates trash so items are recycled. We all need to think about our impact on Mother Nature.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank KarinG720

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed 15 August 2013

My wife and I stayed here in late July. Very attracted to the fact we were located up the hill (about 300 feet)from Route 108( the main road leading to Stowe). Barbara and Kate do an excellent job running the family motel. Not a Comfort Inn or name brand motel- and we like it that way. Clean rooms and bedding all in order.
We stayed on the ground level( we arrived on 2 motorcycles) of the 2 level building( this faced two cute ponds with ducks and a bullfrog I heard in the morning. just awesome!
They have a restaurant on site but only offer suppers on Thurs, Fri and Saturday. I hear it's fabulous. Sorry we could not sample this time.
Free continental breakfast( better than most places) just added to the good value here.

We'll be back

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Holliston
Reviewed 14 August 2013

The next time you get to Stowe, Vermont do yourself (and family) a favor.....treat yourself to a visit to the the Hob Knob Inn & Restaurant situated minutes from downtown Stowe on Rt 108 - the Mountain Road. You won't be disappointed. The Inn is situated on beautifully landscaped property. The rooms are spacious and clean. We've stayed in both the suite and different rooms - all are immaculate and very comfortable. A delightful continental breakfast is served daily and for an additional $5.00 you can have either pancakes or eggs w/bacon. How can you beat that? Speaking of food you have to partake of the dinner menu. We get to Stowe 3 - 4 times a year and ALWAYS make sure to book a dinner reservation. Yum!! Even though they are only open for dinner Thursday - Saturday (for now) it is well worth scheduling your itinerary to enable you to book a dinner reservation. Barbara (and Rick) are exceptional chefs and the food that comes out of Barbara's kitchen is an absolute delight. If you are lucky you'll be there on a night when Barbara serves her superb roasted zucinni soup (our favorite) although all of her other soups are equally delicious. While everything on the menu is fantastic, including their no calorie (don't I wish) desserts, my favorite item is a little special dish Barbara whips up for me and I'm sure with a little coaxing she will do the same for you. It's the 10 oz filet with blue cheeze melted on it covered with sauted mushrooms and onions. Believe me it's to die for! When you do go you will meet the Hob Knob's 'ambassodor' - Kate. She is without a doubt the nicest and most accommodating person one could hope to know. I think 'customer service' is her middle name. And does she have a memory - I don't have to ask for a cocktail. She brings my 'favorite' made just the way I like it whenever we dine there. Going there is like going to visit close friends. That's how they make you feel. For those of you who have stayed or dined there you know what I mean. For those of you who haven't and are looking for a great place to stay and or eat in Stowe with reasonable prices do yourself a favor and check them out. I know you'll thank me.

Room Tip: there isn't a 'bad' room but we love the suite
Green Features: The Inn practices a very 'green' policy overall
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank David R
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 24 July 2013

Loved this place! The ladies were lovely, kind and helpful!! My son got very ill (from eating at the Cactus Cafe) when we were there and they were awesome! Brought up gingerale towels etc!!! The rustic charm is awesome, huge rooms....just fabulous. I was sad that i was not able to try dinner as I heard it is great!!!! Breakfast was yummy, you must try the homemade raisin bread toasted with butter...... delish!!!!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Kate L, Owner at Hob Knob Inn, Bar & Lounge, responded to this review, 10 August 2013
We are so glad you enjoyed breakfast. The raisin bread is mom’s new recipe and it is so nice to hear feedback. We hope that next time you get a chance to join us for dinner. We are open Thursday, Friday and Saturday nights seating from 5:30-8:00pm.
Reviewed 26 May 2013

Barbara and Kate give this Inn its charm and personality. They are continually updating the premises and doing their best to give all the rooms a fresh look. My girlfriend and I have stayed there many time over the past year and have had a warm and wonderful reception each and every time. They make us feel like family.
Barbara prides herself in servivg a quality product at a reasonable price and it is evident that she loves what she does. This carries over to the dining room as well where in the mornings you are met with home baked breads and muffins with fresh fruit and coffee. For those who want more bacon and eggs are available for a mere five bucks
We wouldn't consider staying anywhere else when in the area. In fact..when I come to Vermont to play tennis in Sugarbush...I choose to stay in Stowe at The Hob Nob Inn

• Stayed May 2013
2 Thank CaptBill65
This is our home and our family is here, we feel very lucky to be able to share that with our guests. Hearing that others enjoy this family atmosphere warms our hearts.
East Providence, Rhode Island, United States
Reviewed 23 May 2013

I had a great stay at the Hob Knob Inn recently and just want to say the staff is amazing, the food was great and the room was clean and comfortable. I would love to visit again when I get the chance.

Just want to say a special thanks to Barbara and Kate for their patience and help when my friend's car died and introducing us to Sam who had a wonderful time beeping the horn while we tried to locate a tow truck to come and get the car. We appreciated the phone calls you made for her and your hospitality.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
We are always glad to help and Sam says thank you for letting him honk the horn. A clean, comfortable and cozy room is the atmosphere we try to provide and a great meal never hurts. Hope to see you again soon.
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 8 May 2013

Honestly, we were disappointed from this motel. This is a classic motel with standard and old equipment. The restaurant is extremely overpriced, the staff is not very nice and portions are too small. During breakfast, we had to ask for extra bread, because it was not added. Before the visit I was expecting something completely different, given the number of positive comments. We won't return to this motel. For the same price you can find much better hotels in Stowe.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
We are always sorry to disappoint. The Hob Knob is always in the process of upgrading, though it is a process. You will be happy to know that new tile floors and toilets are going into guestrooms this fall if you travel back this way.
The restaurant prices are in line with the food costs we incur due to the high quality of food and the Certified Angus beef we sell. The steaks we sell are all portioned by weight starting at 6oz and ranging up to 16oz, we do have larger portions available.
I do have to apologies for you experience with our staff. We do pride ourselves on a warm and welcoming experience.