“Disgusting”
Review of Honeywood Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Stowe
Honeywood Inn
Ranked #17 of 22 Stowe B&B and Inns
Elizabethtown, Kentucky
“Disgusting”
Reviewed 18 October 2013

We stayed at this property on October 4, one of the busiest times of the year. DISGUSTING! We paid almost $200 to stay one night at this place. Upon arrival, I went to the office and when I saw the filth in the office I began to fear what the room would be like. Unfortunately, my fears were confirmed. The worst part was the smell. It smelled of mold and dirt. My allergies immediately took offense to the situation and I am now suffering big time because of it. The vertical blinds to the sliding door that went out onto a porch were very dirty and some of the blinds were missing which caused gaps and allowed light to shine through while I was trying desperately to sleep. At the rate these people charge, they could at least have a clean room. The only positive thing I can say about this property was the food they served at breakfast. We had to sat at a table with strangers though and the wait for the food was long. We also were told that we had to walk a great distance to the other property in order to get breakfast but we figured out we could drive so we did. I purchased the room through Priceline and when they contacted the owners, their response was "why didn't she complain upon arrival?". I didn't complain because there were no other rooms to be had in Stowe and we had driven all day to get there. My advise to the owners, take some of the money you are charging for your dirty rooms and remodel and clean!

Room Tip: Spend a bit more money and book a room at the Trapp Family Lodge. At the time I made the booking, I...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank Citygal022561

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Petersburg
Reviewed 10 October 2013 via mobile

After the B&B we booked was filthy and we had to leave, the innkeeper told us he "found" us a room at a motel his "friends" owned. We knew it would be just as bad and it was. Outdated bathroom, tv, hard beds, spiders everywhere, a gas can outside rooms with no caps...tin foil. It's just lucky there wasn't a fire. It looks like a motel that you would pay $50/night and still feel ripped off.

• Stayed October 2013
3 Thank kpfjadip
Bolton Landing, New York, United States
Reviewed 14 September 2013

Chased Out of the "Bears Lair Inn" is run & booked through the Honeywood Inn.
Dispute of transaction on 3/7/2013 for $272.29

To Whom it may concern;
On March 7th we arrived at the Inn about 8:45 PM after driving for 3hrs.
As directed by a hand written note in the entrance hall we called a phone number from the house phone and we were advised to be patient a "few seconds" and he would be right over.
Bill Cook, the owner arrived to check us in 10 minutes later and entered the Hall entrance through the Kitchen, while first looking through papers to find our information for billing. It was very evident that Bill Cook had been drinking and he demanded payment before a warm welcome of any sort was extended to us.
We asked to see the room before paying & he would only let us see the room if my wife paid the deposit with her credit card first.
Tired & hungry we wanted to get our room and go eat somewhere while they were still serving food.
My wife was trying to inspect the receipt prior to signing but had a hard time reading it where Bill placed it, on a table in the hallway by the entry door with dim lighting. Bill impatiently tried to pull her into a different part of the hall as he claimed better lighting was available...we already knew from our time inspecting the entrance hall that that was not the case. At this point my wife asked Bill not to be so rude.

The Intoxicated owner Bill Cook, then was again asked not to be so rude and this seemed to make matters worse as he then he debated with my wife if he was indeed being rude.
I then asked about breakfast details...what, where & when. These questions seemed to agitate Bill as he became coy & sarcastic about what time breakfast was served,what it would be & if he would be in a condition to cook it.

Not knowing what to do we put our bags in the room & tried to find some food.
We found a place down the road still open named “Crop Bistro & Brewery” and got a seat for the late hour menu. Noticing that my wife was visibly shaken the people next to us asked us what had happened to upset her. My wife then repeated our interaction with Bill Cook to the Bistro owner’s wife, who found us a Very Clean & pleasant room to stay in at the “Riverside Inn”.
Once we had a place to stay I went to the Bear’s Lair Inn to check out & get our bags into the new place as my wife stayed at the restaurant.
At 9:45 when I returned to the “Bears Lair Inn” to cancel our reservation and get our bags. The owner’s car was still the only car in the parking lot and the employee from South America, (whom we had visited quite pleasantly with while waiting for Bill Cook it check us in to our room) was working cleaning in the Kitchen. The Owner/ manager Bill Cook was not available for check out so I left the key in the open door inside the lodge at the top of the stairs and I returned to the Bistro. At the Bistro I called the Capitol One to dispute the charge for the “Bears Lair Inn” at that time. I then relayed this whole story to the dispute agent from Capitol One. The agent then tried to resolve the issue with Bill Cook over the phone that night, but then called me back to inform me that Bill Cook was not receptive to that and I would have to go through the dispute process.

Summary
- The owner/manager of the Bed & Breakfast Bear’s Lair Inn, was surly and we felt uncomfortable staying at this ‘Inn’
-Townspeople were well aware of his behavior in the past with other people and were quick to help us find somewhere to stay other than Bears Lair Inn.
-The allegations in his letter to Merchant Services are untrue and considering his altered state should not be accepted.
- No sign in book was presented or available
- We attempted to resolve the Issue on the night of 3/7/2013 through the Capitol one charge dispute service at about 10:36 PM. The record of that call indicates that we stated the Owner was rude & abusive.
- My wife called on 3/11/2013 at about 3:30PM to ask if the charge to her credit card was a mistake thinking that upon reflection of the events he would be more business friendly, however that was not the case.
- Room photo's do not accurately depict quality of room interior.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank Brian D
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 23 February 2013

We were planning on traveling to Stowe for a weekend at another hotel and had to find a room one day early to flee from Winter Storm Nemo. We ended up staying here in the Bear's Lair part of the property. The room was clean and the breakfast was good but those are the only positives I can say. The stuffed bears in the lobby are kind of creepy and the room itself (though thankfully had only one bear in it) was very tacky and dated. Our thermostat didn't work so we were given a space heater and a faux box fireplace (which didn't produce heat). The bed was a little uneven and a few of the towels had some weird stains. No refrigerator in the rooms so you had to share a mini-fridge in the lobby. The hotel served its purpose for us but in retrospect their rates are pretty comparable to much nicer places back in town. I would go elsewhere if staying in Stowe.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank TaisonB
Connecticut
Reviewed 30 October 2012

We stayed here by default; we had driven up to northern Vt to look at the foliage without prebooking a room, and, as they were hard to come by, found one here open in their chalet with our trusty smartphone and as the price was reasonable, we took it.

The owners run two lodgings here;.one is a small B & B building and the other, detached across a field, is where we stayed, and it was an Old School Vt chalet-ski lodge. Our building was a one story motel building, with the owners quarters at the end. It was dressed up Chalet style with an Alpine flair from the outside with decorative wood from years gone by. The inside of the room was good sized, had a vaulted ceiling, a big comfy brass bed ( Bob Dylan running thru my head of course ) , and a servicable bathroom.

It is certainly no frills; a great place to return to after a hard day of skiing, or even sightseeing if in the area. But don't be fooled by the cute name; it is not a romantic get-a-way type of place. Now, there is certainly nothing wrong with it for what it was, and it served it's purpose well. There was a slider that overlooked a large yard, which was pretty. It wasn't dirty, could obviously use updating, but hey, you are in upstate Vt ski country; this is really a classic building in it's enviroment.

You are treated to a homemade breakfast in the B & B, which is a short stroll over the yard to reach. You are seated family style, with other guests around large tables, and served by the inkeepers themselves. The food was hearty and good, and we found the company enjoyable. The B & B looked certainly quainter than the chalet, but also a bit rough.

We had no complints with our stay. And for the money, I would rather stay in a place like this than in a generic hotel room anyhow. It's got character that fits in with the setting.

Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank 1dancing_fool
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 9 October 2012

This is a sixties or seventies style motel and is pretty tired with a sloping lumpy uncomfortable bed. However it was clean and the breakfast next door which was included in the price was excellent and the people were very pleasant .
It is outside town in a pretty area not too far from Smugglers Notch which is lovely in the Fall.

• Stayed October 2012
South Kingstown, Rhode Island
Reviewed 23 July 2012

We stayed in the lodge which is actually a motor inn. The room was dark and dirty. We had to clean the spider webs off the door before entering. The screen door fell off when we tried to open it. The tiles were coming off the bathroom floor and sticking to our feet. The beds were very uncomfortable. The pool, which looked beautiful in the picures was covered, and we could not go in it. At breakfast, another couple asked if they could have both eggs and waffles and were told that they could only order one option. The staff treated them rudely. We paid over $150.00 per night which was a huge rip off.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family