“Not Worth It”

Mountainside Resort At Stowe
Central Florida
“Not Worth It”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 January 2008

Blah. That's the word to describe Mountainside Resort. It's a shame to stay somewhere like that, too, because Vermont is all about character.

From the start I was surprised by how bad my impression of the place was. Other people in my family have stayed there many times throughout the last 10+ years and they never had problems. Maybe I'm just pickier.

We arrived after a cross-country drive (with a young child in the car) at 2:00 pm and were rudely turned away by the kid behind the counter (seriously, they have teenagers working at the front desk...unprofessional) because check-in wasnt until 3:00. I mean, I know there are rules for a reason but there are also exceptions for a reason and I was in desperate need of one. The girl just kind of stared blankly at me as I stammered, like "Um....well...is there...any place we can go? I have a baby that needs to be fed...." Her suggestion was to go to the pool area. That was pretty much the lamest thing she could have said just then. There had been a blizzard the day before and we were expecting another that night. What was I supposed to do at the pool? We ended up going to PieCasso (definitely worth a stop when you're there) and had to bring our kid inside in her pajamas because our car was packed too tightly to dig out any presentable clothes.

The unit we booked was on the first floor. We specifically requested that so that we wouldn't have to navigate the stairs - I knew all about those already. But they failed to tell us that in our particular building the first floor was three flights DOWN! So we had to pay for an upgrade to switch units. It was worth it, though, especially since the one we ended up in was more updated and had a fireplace (the first one didnt), and was level with the parking area. But "more updated" is relative because even that one looked like a bland, generic motel room from the 80s.

Throughout our trip we were disappointed time after time by the front desk staff. They didn't know anything about the area, it seemed, and were unable to give us any recommendations for ANYTHING! They were all more interested in gossipping and chomping their gum than providing service. One guy did come around and dig our car out, though, after the big snow storm and I appreciated that immensely.

All in all - there are WAY better places to stay. Probably for the same price, too. Even if you pay a little more I guarantee you will get a lot more for your money.

• Liked — It was close to the village, restaurants, shopping and Mansfield.
  • Disliked — Terrible staff, bland decor, and the fireplace spit out ash constantly so it was never clean. Not to mention the FEES (because I think that's been covered in other reviews)!
  • Stayed December 2007, travelled with family
1 Thank sarsparilla113

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Boston, MA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 December 2007

I know everyone thinks of Stowe for skiing, but we had a great time staying at the "Theater in the Woods" at the Mountainside Resort over Labor Day weekend. We had our then eight month old baby with us, and there were many activities to do with her. Stowe is very family friendly. Furthermore, the "Theater in the Woods" was a great place to stay with a baby. There are three bedrooms (which meant that we didn't have to tiptoe around all the time) and the resort provided us with a portable crib. The condo was well-equipped and very clean. We literally found everything we needed. I am also kind of a clean-freak and I was 100% comfortable in the Theater. We are not big TV people, but I can imagine that it would be a big selling point for many people.

Our trip highlight was driving up the Mountain Road and taking a little hike. The panoramic view was great. We also enjoyed renting bikes and touring the Rec path.

To give a fully balanced review, if I had to point out a downside, as the name implies, the condo is surrounded by trees and is a little dark. Also, when we were there, the pool was unheated, so it was a tad on the cool side. Both of these points are very minor and in no way affected our overall stay.

All in all, we are definitely planning on going back to Stowe, and would love to stay in the Theater in the Woods again. It is a great place to unwind after an activity packed day.

• Liked — The layout of the condo was perfect for a family.
  • Disliked — It was a little dark.
  • Stayed September 2007, travelled with family
1 Thank so1016
Easton, Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 January 2007

We spent a luxurious week at the Theatre in the Woods, Mountainside Resort in Stowe, Vermont. Loved it!!! Easy access to excellent restaurants and quaint shops - the views are breathtaking and the sightseeing out of this world!

The condo owner has so many touches (personal decor; board games; books; videos) that it feels like home immediately. The gourmet kitchen is a delight, and the bathrooms are state of the art.

The beds are so comfortable, and the owner herself absolutely enjoys having guests - she sends email to welcome you and to check on your stay - we travel a lot and have never had a more enjoyable vacation!

I highly recommend this rental - and am looking forward to checking out its sister site in the Tropics, the newest addition!!!

Stayed September 2006
1 Thank MarylandMissKitty
Newton, MA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 January 2007

Four of us ( 2 parents and 2 30 yr old sons) stayed in a 3-bedroom condo in Unit G for 4 nights last week and were very pleased. Quite clean and everything (including gas fireplace) worked perfectly.

With 3 of us over 6', we felt the whole place was a bit small but we were out most of the time and didn't mind cozy breakfasts and occasional TV and reading sessions together in the living/dining room .

We did not use any of the pool/exercise/laundry facilities.

Everything in the Stowe area is convenient to this and most other accommodations. My wife had a massage at the Topnotch Resort (5 minutes away) and I walked thru the facility, which is a totally different place: Fancy reception/gathering area with afternoon tea, some shops, two pools, big deal spa, high end bar and separate restaurant. And accommodations at a 50% higher price.

Mountainside is part of Vacation Resorts International, about which we know nothing, but
(---)
might be worth checking for a start on a vacation plan.

• Liked — clean, quiet, private
  • Disliked — small
  • Stayed January 2007, travelled with family
2 Thank Garlic82
Montclair, NJ
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 December 2006

Back in September we initiated a search for a family vacation in Vermont for the Christmas break. In addition to a great deal of web searches, we also put a significant amount of faith in these Tripadvisor reviews. Given that the reviews were generally more positive that the other comparable resorts in the area, we felt we had chosen well. I would say that you should question the previous reviews, since they bore little relationship to our experience at Mountainside Resort.

The resort is about to embark upon a renovation project to be done in phases, but until that is done you can expect your room/apartment to be hit or miss depending upon which unit you get assigned. We were in the "F" building which turns out to be one of the older ones. I heard that "K" had just been renovated, so you may be better off there. Our room was clean and functional, but really showed its age - I'm guessing mid 80's. This would apply to all the appliances and furnishings. You're looking at very spartan designs and aged. Our TV was a 19" Zenith. I've seen larger ones on the side of the road on bulky waste days. There was an annoying electrical click which woke us the first two nights there in our BR. We complained after the first night, but nothing was fixed. Turned out it was the apartment hair dryer, which when plugged in made dangerous sounds all through the night. The kitchen was the same deal - mid 80's vintage with a dishwasher that would wake the dead.

The pool area was OK, but not nearly as spacious as we had expected. The changing rooms were small and crowded. Keep in mind that the pool is in a separate building so in winter one must go fully dressed to the pool building, undress, swim, then dress again for the trek in the cold. There was very limited storage space for winter coats, boots, etc, making an already crowded situation even more so.

Staff was generally attentive but not exactly what you'd call hospitable.

We visited in the high holiday season, at which time our 2-room condo went for approximately $450 per night. Granted, it was the holidays, but for that kind of money you really should be able to expect something that is more than spartan and simply adequate. Perhaps Mountainside Resort should charge less for the non-renovated apartments???

• Liked — It was clean, and the location was pretty good.
  • Disliked — Furnishings and poor value
  • Tips/Secrets — Shop around
  • Stayed December 2006, travelled with family
6 Thank roasbief
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 July 2006

We have a family of 3 boys between the ages of 4 and 14 and everyone had a wonderful time. There was so much to do in Stowe - biking on recreation path, mini-golfing, hiking, balloon festival, swimming in rivers, Smuggler's notch, etc. The unexpected highlight was finding Laughing Moon Chocolates. You MUST go. Pie in the Sky Pizza was so good, we had to make 2 visits.
The big screen TV, tennis courts, swimming pool, and screened in porch were major bonuses to enjoy after the day's activities. This condo had plenty of DVDs and cable to relax to. The location is perfect. It's close to everything. We had a wonderful time!

• Stayed July 2006
10 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2006

The location is fabulous! Everything you need is close by and so are many wonderful sites to see, like the Trapp Family Lodge - thier gardens are breathtaking! The Theatre in the Woods is an excellent getaway! My Mother and I take a trip annually somwhere and we chose Stowe as one of the places to see this year. We have found renting a home for a few days really makes a trip more enjoyable and this location provided us with the opportunity to fix our own meals in their wonderfully equipped galley kitchen. The kitchen was clean, modern and quite frankly I am planning on purchasing a sink just like the stainless steel pot sized sink that was in this rental! The Entertainment system is a must have from my point a view - I love movies and what a kick to bring a pile of them with you on vacation and just relax and watch movies! Of course the Theatre in the Woods has a good selection of movies as well. The beds - what can I say - I was delighted to find the beds in fabulous condition and so easy to rest on. I own a select comfort bed and usually cannot find comparable rest anywhere - well at the Theatre in the Woods I did! I recommend this as a stopping point instead of your usual motel! Happy travels!

• Stayed May 2006