“Great family vacation location”

Mountainside Resort At Stowe
Saint-Lazare, Quebec, Canada
“Great family vacation location”
Reviewed 19 November 2012

The condo was wonderful, the booking hassle free and the owner was very welcoming.

The location is great, and the giant 3D TV is a ton of fun! We were impressed with the supplied DVD collection, the books and the games. The kitchen is wonderfully equipped.

My family had a great week, and we definitely want to go back.

Room Tip: The 'Theatre in the Woods" unit is the one being reviewed.
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Karen R

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Montville, New Jersey, United States
Reviewed 11 October 2012

We had a wonderful time in Stowe & found the Theatre in the Woods to be perfect for us in every way. We had beautiful weather every day, enjoyed the bike path each morning (the kids especially loved the corn maze with its baby cows & goats, and the farmers market), hiked the Nose to Chin on Mt Mansfield, hiked & swam at Bingham Falls, rode the Alpine Slide, visited Burlington (the waterfront, Church St & had dinner at the Vt Pub & Brewery), golfed the executive course at Stoweflake (PERFECT for the kids!) & the mini golf course, and of course, a lot of visits to Ben & Jerry's. The kids also loved the pool, as I think all kids do! The location is really perfect. Favorite food spots were Cactus Cafe, the Blue Donkey & Piecasso.

All in all, it was perfect. Thank you so much for sharing your beautiful spot with us!!

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
franklin , ma
Reviewed 31 August 2012

I'm no lodging snob, but there are some things that I just don't understand not spending a bit of time and money on. The most glaring thing for me is the condition of the driveway up to the resort. Via the back way, which goes right into the resort village and bypasses the office, the road is horrendous - potholes , cracks, patches of newer paving mixed with the older patches. I mean, come on. Spend a bit of money and make an effort to make it a little nicer - my first impression of this place was going up that drive, and I'm sorry, but that's not the greatest first impression. You don't want your customers to feel like you're skimping on relatively easy things to accomplish.

Second is the utter lack of lighting for the resort's sign on Mountain Rd. Not only is it pushed back and slightly hidden, but there is NO lighting around it whatsoever - so good luck if you're coming here in the dark for the first time.

That being sad, the place wasn't awful. Our one bedroom condo, while small, provided everything we needed for a comfortable stay. The full kitchen was very helpful as we ended up cooking 1-2 meals per day here. The bedroom is very small, with only enough room for a dresser and small nightstand. The bed wasn't great, but hotel beds usually aren't, so that wasn't a big surprise.

The bathroom was fine except for the absurdly tiny stand-in-only shower - never in my life have I felt so claustrophobic while showering. I have longish hair and there was literally no way for me to avoid getting it wet because no matter how I stood in the shower, I was directly underneath the shower head. Had I put my elbows out a bit I would've been touching both sides. I can see this being a very big problem for someone of a larger size.

The complete lack of housekeeping service was a bit strange; while I enjoy the idea of not having to leave every day to let the maids do their thing, having 0 housekeeping is not something I have ever seen at any resort I have ever stayed in before. The only thing remotely close to housekeeping is a towel exchange on wednesdays, where you have to bag up your used towels and bring them to the office to get a new bag of them.

The pool was nice but small. With only 88 rooms, a huge pool isn't needed, but I believe that the resort would do well to at least have a small outdoor poor somewhere ; the one they have now is indoors only. More than one spot to catch some sun would be great, too.

All in all, this was a pleasant stay, but again, there are some things that were just entirely missed that I have a hard time wrapping my head around. I would come back if I wanted to come back to northern VT and this was the only available option; there are many other places in the area of varying quality and price levels and while I am definitely positive there are many places that are much, much worse than this, I know there are places that are better as well if you're willing to spend the extra money.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank sbernardo123
Philadelphia PA
Reviewed 24 April 2012

This resort is the resort my boyfriend and I use to compare other vacations to. Seriously though the rooms are not the best but were good for us. We like the country style so it was not a downside at all. The views of the mountains from our living room and balcony were amazing. We swam almost every day and there was no one else there so it was like having our own pool. The unit had everything we needed to eat in the unit all week. The only downside I found was no gym. Oh yea and there are some steps to get to the unit we had but since we were there to hike it was no big deal, but it could be for someone else.

We plan on visiting again soon

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank 19101
Hamilton, Bermuda
Reviewed 18 April 2012

We stayed in this resort April 2012 for a week.It is in a great location right in the the village.
It was clean and the aminities are fine but limited.Check in was very quick and I would recommend this resort if you just using as a base to do other things in the area.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Markbermudagooner
CT
Reviewed 6 April 2012

My husband and I just spent a week at the Mountainside Resort in Stowe. We stayed in a 1 bedroom/1 bathroom condo that is supposed to sleep 4, but I'd say it would be very tight if 4 people were staying here. But for the 2 of us it was perfect. The kitchen was nicely stocked with utensils, soaps, towels, pots/pans. The bathroom had plenty of towels. The resort is located in a wonderful area. Nice views of mountains all around. However, the cons would be that the furniture is quite dated and uncomfortable. The couch has to be about 15-20 years old, and very uncomfortable. The bed has to be over 10 years old making the mattress hard as can be. But that would be my only complaint (and trust me, I'm picky).

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank malu007
Cortland, NY
Reviewed 27 February 2012

Let me start by saying that we booked this 2 bdr, unit h202 online with owner @ Homeaway.com. We take a ski vacation with our 2 teens every year & usually book ski in/skiout (of which there is little in stowe), we like a condo so we can eat in & family likes a indoor pool or jacuzzi. This place fit the bill but I was worried as the price was much less than we had paid in past. Checkin made me nervous as the girl was kinda "slow" she didn't offer the newly arrived much information except about where unit was & pool hours & seemed confused when we asked about the free shuttle etc. The best thing about this unit was that it was directly across from pool & on the ground level. It was not deluxe decor but it was clean & adequate. We enjoyed the gas fireplace & beautiful view across the valley fron the 2 large patio sliders. The kitchen had all the essentials. Oven didn't work but luckily we didnt need it. Sofa in the living room sags & needs to be replaced(we didnt checkout the bed inside). Bedrooms & baths small but adequate & beds were comfortable. Could use some hooks or more towel racks in baths and better lighting to read in bedrooms. Blinds had a slat missing which let light into bedrm but my husband fixed it by taking a slat off the end & repositioning it. The pool was warm & pleasant & the jacuzzi large. Changing rooms had shower w/ shampoo etc provided. Pool needs to be open until 10pm to accomodate after dinner soaks. I arrived # 845 for an intended short soak & was told" I close @ 9pm" I responded that I knew & would be done by then. She said nothing & bruskly left obviously annoyed. If we stayed again I would leave for mtn earlier & use the free shuttle as traffic on mtn rd was bumper to bumper & parking lots fill to capacity. Shuttle is out on road so best bet to drive to road & park in the ski shop lot.

Room Tip: our 2 bdr H202 was right across from pool/laundry & on ground level.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with family