“Tired & Dated but as expected except for the horrible beds.”

Mountainside Resort At Stowe
Lake Worth, Florida
“Tired & Dated but as expected except for the horrible beds.”
Reviewed 23 March 2013

As timeshare owners we've learned not to expect too much from the room & focus on the vacation, we don't spend much in the room anyway. I gave this resort a higher rating because it was very clean with big windows with spectacular views & it's convenient location to the slopes, restaurants etc. Our room was in Bldg E so perhaps there are updated rooms in another building but ours looked like nothing has been replaced since 1980 including the carpet. All of this could've been overlooked except for the crippling beds. We are 2 healthy, fit, 40ish adults with no injuries but the beds were so hard & uncomfortable we could not get a good night's sleep even after snowboarding all day & a few late night cocktails. We will not stay here again unless they update at least the bedding.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Susan A
BruceinVT, General Manager at Mountainside Resort At Stowe, responded to this review, 17 April 2013
We are sorry these exchange guests found our beds to be hard and uncomfortable. We replaced all our bedding late last year with new pillow top mattress sets and have received favorable comments from guests. We will check all the mattress sets in E building to make certain there is not a problem. We are currently updating the interiors of our timeshare units and the carpet mentioned in the review is being replaced in the next three weeks. If guests have a problem with a mattress in their unit, we will do all we can to satisfy them including replacing the mattress if necessary. We hope these guests will return in the future to stay in one of our renovated units.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Reviewed 18 January 2013 via mobile

This resort is a nice, cozy and comfy place to stay for few days. We went here for our September long weekend holiday. We loved staying there, rooms had beautiful view and there are some awesome restaurants near to this resort. Would love to stay there again if I ever visit Vermont again. Happy staying!

• Stayed September 2012
Saint-Lazare, Quebec, Canada
Reviewed 19 November 2012

The condo was wonderful, the booking hassle free and the owner was very welcoming.

The location is great, and the giant 3D TV is a ton of fun! We were impressed with the supplied DVD collection, the books and the games. The kitchen is wonderfully equipped.

My family had a great week, and we definitely want to go back.

Room Tip: The 'Theatre in the Woods" unit is the one being reviewed.
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Karen R
Montville, New Jersey, United States
Reviewed 11 October 2012

We had a wonderful time in Stowe & found the Theatre in the Woods to be perfect for us in every way. We had beautiful weather every day, enjoyed the bike path each morning (the kids especially loved the corn maze with its baby cows & goats, and the farmers market), hiked the Nose to Chin on Mt Mansfield, hiked & swam at Bingham Falls, rode the Alpine Slide, visited Burlington (the waterfront, Church St & had dinner at the Vt Pub & Brewery), golfed the executive course at Stoweflake (PERFECT for the kids!) & the mini golf course, and of course, a lot of visits to Ben & Jerry's. The kids also loved the pool, as I think all kids do! The location is really perfect. Favorite food spots were Cactus Cafe, the Blue Donkey & Piecasso.

All in all, it was perfect. Thank you so much for sharing your beautiful spot with us!!

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
franklin , ma
Reviewed 31 August 2012

I'm no lodging snob, but there are some things that I just don't understand not spending a bit of time and money on. The most glaring thing for me is the condition of the driveway up to the resort. Via the back way, which goes right into the resort village and bypasses the office, the road is horrendous - potholes , cracks, patches of newer paving mixed with the older patches. I mean, come on. Spend a bit of money and make an effort to make it a little nicer - my first impression of this place was going up that drive, and I'm sorry, but that's not the greatest first impression. You don't want your customers to feel like you're skimping on relatively easy things to accomplish.

Second is the utter lack of lighting for the resort's sign on Mountain Rd. Not only is it pushed back and slightly hidden, but there is NO lighting around it whatsoever - so good luck if you're coming here in the dark for the first time.

That being sad, the place wasn't awful. Our one bedroom condo, while small, provided everything we needed for a comfortable stay. The full kitchen was very helpful as we ended up cooking 1-2 meals per day here. The bedroom is very small, with only enough room for a dresser and small nightstand. The bed wasn't great, but hotel beds usually aren't, so that wasn't a big surprise.

The bathroom was fine except for the absurdly tiny stand-in-only shower - never in my life have I felt so claustrophobic while showering. I have longish hair and there was literally no way for me to avoid getting it wet because no matter how I stood in the shower, I was directly underneath the shower head. Had I put my elbows out a bit I would've been touching both sides. I can see this being a very big problem for someone of a larger size.

The complete lack of housekeeping service was a bit strange; while I enjoy the idea of not having to leave every day to let the maids do their thing, having 0 housekeeping is not something I have ever seen at any resort I have ever stayed in before. The only thing remotely close to housekeeping is a towel exchange on wednesdays, where you have to bag up your used towels and bring them to the office to get a new bag of them.

The pool was nice but small. With only 88 rooms, a huge pool isn't needed, but I believe that the resort would do well to at least have a small outdoor poor somewhere ; the one they have now is indoors only. More than one spot to catch some sun would be great, too.

All in all, this was a pleasant stay, but again, there are some things that were just entirely missed that I have a hard time wrapping my head around. I would come back if I wanted to come back to northern VT and this was the only available option; there are many other places in the area of varying quality and price levels and while I am definitely positive there are many places that are much, much worse than this, I know there are places that are better as well if you're willing to spend the extra money.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank sbernardo123
Philadelphia PA
Reviewed 24 April 2012

This resort is the resort my boyfriend and I use to compare other vacations to. Seriously though the rooms are not the best but were good for us. We like the country style so it was not a downside at all. The views of the mountains from our living room and balcony were amazing. We swam almost every day and there was no one else there so it was like having our own pool. The unit had everything we needed to eat in the unit all week. The only downside I found was no gym. Oh yea and there are some steps to get to the unit we had but since we were there to hike it was no big deal, but it could be for someone else.

We plan on visiting again soon

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank 19101
Hamilton, Bermuda
Reviewed 18 April 2012

We stayed in this resort April 2012 for a week.It is in a great location right in the the village.
It was clean and the aminities are fine but limited.Check in was very quick and I would recommend this resort if you just using as a base to do other things in the area.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple