“Great Service and atmosphere.”

Matterhorn Restaurant
Ranked #33 of 102 Restaurants in Stowe
Cuisines: American, Sushi, Pizza, Bar, Gastropub
Good for: Groups, Bar Scene
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed 16 June 2014

I have been here a few times and while the food is good what really makes the restaurant is the atmosphere and service. Sitting down is the "river room" offers a great view and the sound of the water is an instant relaxer. Every time I've been here it's been very busy and I am always amazed that the consistent friendly and accommodating service from the staff, no matter how overwhelmed they are.

The menu is large and has a huge variety of different foods, but has always came out great! While I would suggest this place for any occasion I highly recommend it for one of those nights when no one in your group can actually decide on what type of food they want to eat.

I do love it in the summer but the Matterhorn also happens to be one of my favorite "apres ski" bars in Vermont!

Reviewed 1 June 2014

We live in Rhode Island, and attended our son's graduation from The University of Vermont in May. Anticipating a busy weekend in Burlington with crowded hotels and restaurants, we opted to rent a large house in Stowe to accommodate relatives who flew in from the midwest to join us. We hosted a dinner on Sunday night after the graduation ceremony and ordered food from The Matterhorn Restaurant. It was referred by friends of our son who knew the area. The week before, I placed a call to the restaurant and was immediately put at ease by Charlie who walked me through the extensive menu and offered helpful suggestions for our party. He was knowledgable and efficient, sending me an email confirmation of my order. The food was ready at the promised time, and when we arrived at the restaurant, John and Ernie had assembled delicious appetizers on platters ready to serve and an entree and side to reheat in our kitchen. The staff cheerfully greeted us and helped carry everything to our car. The assortment of sushi was scrumptious and looked so pretty set out on the table. The crab rangoon and spicy thai sushi were especially good with generous amounts of ginger and wasabi. We ordered buffalo and chipotle wings that were very tasty and nicely presented with carrot sticks and homemade blue cheese dressing. The main course was five and a half pounds of beef tenderloin cooked to perfection, sent with instructions to finish in our oven for fifteen minutes. We sliced it and served with a hearty side of lobster mac that was fabulous. We added our own green salad and dessert to round out the meal, but having The Matterhorn Restaurant do most of the cooking left us time to enjoy the evening and celebrate. Kudos to a restaurant staff that works very hard to please the customer and offers such delicious food.

3  Thank Wendy B
Reviewed 31 March 2014

On a recent trip to ski Stowe we returned to The Matterhorn to relive our day 'on the slopes.' As usual, the restaurant/bar was a bustling establishment with very friendly employees, a great selection of beers, a great location (as the first location after leaving Stowe) and some of the best wings I have ever had. The Matterhorn also has a group of tables overlooking the river.

If you want a great gathering place (even if you aren't skiing) go to The Matterhorn.

Reviewed 29 March 2014

It is all simple at Matterhorn. And it works perfectly that way. The focus is on the food and the experience.
I cannot find the words to explain how amazing where the dumplings, the Gorgonzola Fondue, the Wings... and the Sushi.
Our kids had so much fun in the small arcade room overlooking a snow river, while we enjoyed the live entertainment and the selection of drinks. Great staff, friendly and real. Do not expect any bowing in front of the client, they are just fun, sincere and on top of their game

Reviewed 26 March 2014

I understand that we were 14 people, but waiting 20+ minutes before someone came to our table was a bit much! The bartender was also the server, not a good idea when it's a popular apres ski bar. The bar was always busy, so we were like an after thought! At least the food was good, but what was with the paper plates for some of the meals???