“Gorgeous Lodge with a fantastic staff”

Stowe Mountain Lodge
Ranked #3 of 24 Hotels in Stowe
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 20 November 2013

1st off we were spoiled as there was only a handful of guest staying during our visit. We timed our visit perfectly as we stayed in between the summer/fall peak foliage season and the winter ski season. This resort is gorgeously designed. Every detail speaks quality and carefully thought through details. All the finishing work and furnishings are crafted from the harvested trees that once stood on the property. The rooms a beautifully equipped with the best quality materials and products. The restaurant, bar and hotel staff are gracious, enthusiastic and thoughtful. We were fortunate to have found this place for this leg of our trip. We don't ski, but if we did the ski in and out chair lift accessible directly from the hotel would be my #3 reason to stay. Wonderful VT hospitality!

Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 19 November 2013

We stayed here on our last night on a road trip, while driving through the mountains in the fall season, and mostly wanted a good quality place en route.

The start of our visit was pretty aggravating - my Dad and I wanted separate beds, so I booked a room with that choice but there was no way in the reservation to specifically note that we needed 2 beds. So, I called the hotel to follow up, couldn't get ahold of a person, so left a voice mail at their reservations number stating the request and asking them to call me the next day to confirm.

The next day they never called, we showed up, and were told we had a really nice room but with only one bed; they had no other standard two-bed rooms available, and were insistent that the choice of 1 vs. 2 beds was always on an availability basis which we found incredibly ridiculous. I mean, who wants to book a room in a vacation property and not know how many beds you're getting. Never heard this before in a top-notch property.

We had to upgrade to a much larger room, which cost us more, and they only discounted it a bit. By this point, we were tired and didn't care anymore, and were pretty much ready to chalk up the visit as an experience we wouldn't repeat. However, things improved from there.

The room was fantastic, huge, beautifully appointed and with great views of the mountain of course. We were pretty impressed. We didn't eat dinner in the full restaurant because we were looking for something lighter, so just had drinks and shared plates of stuff at the bar. However, the food was consistently much better than expected, and the bartenders were great guys. We ended up having a really good meal. Breakfast the next morning was similarly very good.

So, other than the initial snafu, and agree with some comments that the place feels somewhat corporate, it was truly a great visit.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 14 November 2013

I loved this location and hotel. Will definitely go back and recommend!
The spa was great with terrific massage and the use of the entire spa all day. The complimentary wine in spa was a nice touch.
Enjoyed every moment

Room Tip: If you want extreme quite do request a room NOT next to an efficiency room. The family next to me wo...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
StoweMountainLodge, Manager at Stowe Mountain Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 21 November 2013

Thank you for the wonderful review of Stowe Mountain Lodge and The Spa & Wellness Center! We are delighted you enjoyed your visit and look forward to your return.

Reviewed 12 November 2013

We just got back from a 2 night stay with friends. We were in a two bedroom suite. One bedroom had an en-suite bathroom and ours had the hall bath. Someone else had mentioned in their review that there are no signs of wear in this place. The finishes are very high end and the views are spectacular. The staff was very friendly and helpful. The rooms/bathrooms were impeccibly clean. We had a full kitchen and very good coffee is provided for the coffee maker: a very nice touch that was most appreciated, as was the gas fireplace. It wasn't quite ski season yet but it was snowing lightly, which added to the ambiance. Re: the parking, we self parked in the back of the lodge which you can get to by the first driveway. The only problem with that is that it's outside and we had to clear the snow off the car and carry our own bags haha.

Room Tip: We were in 1409. A bit far from the lobby but that doesn't really matter.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
StoweMountainLodge, Manager at Stowe Mountain Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 2 December 2013

Thank you for sharing your experience at Stowe Mountain Lodge! When these rooms were designed and decorated, the goal was to provide the comforts of home with the essence of Stowe. We do caution on parking -- we are a valet hotel only. The parking lot behind the hotel is not owned or managed by Stowe Mountain Lodge and overnight cars are subject to towing. We hope to welcome you back again in the future.

Reviewed 11 November 2013

We booked a weekend here at the recommendation of a friend. She warned us upfront that everything is tip driven and be prepared to constantly hand out cash. Our bigger issue was the looks we got when we arrived on a motorcycle. Both staff and guests looked at us like we were pieces of trash. The valet immediately told us to put the bike behind the building. I guess a brand new Harley could not park next to a Lexus or Cadillac. We felt so uncomfortable by the whole situation we ended up leaving and getting a room at Stowe Flake which was great.

Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Hunter1998
StoweMountainLodge, Manager at Stowe Mountain Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 15 November 2013

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience form this past summer. I was concerned to hear about your arrival, considering we offer covered motorcycle parking via our Valet department and are happy to provide an escort to our garage. Your comments are being shared with team members in a training environment so as to better the guest experience.
Feel free to reach out to me personally in the event you have any questions or additional comments.

Reviewed 11 November 2013

Staying here for our anniversary for 2 nights and I'm looking forward to leaving.

I'll start with the positive. Beautiful hotel and surroundings. Unfortunately that's the only positive feedback I have.

The $19 per night valet is MANDATORY, even though there is ample parking - which I can easily see from the balcony.

We arrived after a 4-day stay in Montreal (impeccable). We booked the Timberline Suite. Be aware that the photograph of the room makes it look deceptively large. It is really just a basic room that accommodates a couch.

Upon arrival, the first thing we needed to do was call the front desk because the toilet was clogged.

I then wanted to visit the gift shop (3pm on a Sunday). It was closed. There was no place to purchase water, snacks, toiletries, etc. or to shop. There was a sign on the door staring it would also be closed all day Monday and Tuesday. Never in my life have I seen a hotel gift shop closed!!!

We then went to Hourglass to eat. The poor 2 bartenders! It was packed and SEVERELY understaffed and the manager was walking around in there clueless. The management in general at this property is horrible.

We awoke at 8am to children running up and down the hall screaming and also to the bing-banging of maid's carts. (On our anniversary)

We booked the included breakfast which was SUPPOSED to include one cold and one hot beverage and one entree EACH. Was informed at check in that we had $25 for breakfast - total. The rest would be charged to our room. At $4 for a coffee and $4 for an oj - good luck with this little bit of false advertising.

We left the room at 11am and returned at 4pm. OUR ROOM WAS NEVER CLEANED. We had to find a maid cart (not hard to do since they are strewn about the hallways all over the place) to get clean towels.

THANK GOD we visited the Rainspa in Montreal. I had an incredible massage, facial and pedicure there. When I saw the spa services menu, I actually laughed out loud at the obscenity of the prices (and trust me, I'm a very seasoned spa connoisseur).

We check out tomorrow (I would have left today if not for their 15 day IN ADVANCE NON-REFUNDABLE policy).

It's a shame such a beautiful resort has such blatant mis-management. I can't wait to check out. Should be interesting to see what other malfunctions occur before I go.

Sorry so long but this is my first review on trip advisor. I don't mind paying these prices for a hotel, but I expect the service to match.
My advice? Look elsewhere.

• Stayed: November 2013
3  Thank Andreanadeau

We appreciate hearing about your recent experience in such detail. I was disappointed you didn’t have an opportunity to share your observations upon departure. I recall personally assisting you when checking out and would have happily resolved your concerns before you left.

To address some of your observations:
- while our gift shop hours of operation had been adjusted to business levels, we are happy to open for our guests at any time of day or night, upon request
- your comments regarding our restaurant have been shared with our Food & Beverage Director so as to determine more appropriate scheduling of team members to business demand
- while our housekeeping department posts current service times, we are happy to provide service at our guest’s convenience, upon request

Please feel free to contact me directly at the Lodge with any questions or additional concerns. I would greatly appreciate the opportunity to address your experience personally.

Reviewed 11 November 2013

My husband and I did a sneak-away night to spend some time together. We had a wonderful ridgeline studio with fireplace. The lodge is very impressive and was clean, well manicured - even the pillows in the lobby were all perfectly in place (I notice these things). The staff greeted us by name, and were all (from the front desk to the doormen to the spa attendant) lovely and attentive. I did a spa treatment and my therapist was fantastic. Going in the off-season is a great idea if you can do it, quiter, less crowds .. very relaxing! We woke up to 2 inches of snow too...very cool.

Room Tip: Ask for a rom with a view of you can!
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple