“The Pinnacle”

Ranked #3 of 24 Hotels in Stowe
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
“The Pinnacle”
Reviewed 13 December 2013

We first visited Stowe the winter of 1962 and were thrilled with the skiing conditions. We then returned year after year, both in winter and in summer. On each occasion, we tried different hotels, motels, lodges and B&B's, until we had stayed at almost every listing in the Stowe Visitors Center.
Now 50 years later, we can honestly say, " We know Stowe, like the back of our hand" So what can we share? Well on one hand, many of the lodgings have gotten older like ourselves. A few have been extensively refurbished, some a little and some only cosmetically. Therein lies the dilemma! What are your priorities and what do you choose?
When you return to a favorite location, only to be disappointed, you are not likely to forget, nor return. So you stick to the best! Also what helps in this decision making process is that as we age we seek out the creature comforts ahead of other considerations. Then along came the Stowe Mountain Lodge. Yes it is new (er), but it is almost in a class by itself. Comfort and Service reign supreme, but alas at a price.Like so many things in life, sometimes you have to compromise. On our first summer stay, my sciatica was troublesome and so the staff kept my car near the front door, a costly necessity!. On a subsequent visit, I parked our car, thus saving a few $$. Meals were taken both at the Lodge $$$$ and around town$$-$$$. There are quite a few good eateries in and around the Stowe Area. But when it comes to lodging, the Stowe Mountain Lodge is at The Pinnacle.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
StoweMountainLodge, Manager at Stowe Mountain Lodge, responded to this review, 19 December 2013
Thank you for such a glowing review of not only Stowe Mountain Lodge, but also Stowe, Vermont. We are so pleased we've been able to welcome you back to this luxury slopeside hotel. We pride ourselves on diligent service and authenticity and hope that you will join us again to experience Stowe with us again.

Director of Rooms

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (449)
Miami Beach, Florida
Reviewed 13 December 2013

Visited the Stowe Mountain Lodge for a little snow/winter weather for the Christmas season (we live in Miami),. Booked a 1 bedroom suite and loved it. Well appointed kitchen, cozy fireplace, deluxe bedding and large elegant bathroom. Couldnt be happier with the facilities or the room. Service was very friendly. The housekeeping supervisor personally sewed the button on my coat instead of just dropping off a sewing kit like most hotels would (definately above and beyond service....and my sewing skills are nil so greatly appreciated). The lobby had a huge poinsettia tree and was full of leather couches and a huge window facing the resort. Top it off with a wood burning fireplace and it was a perfect ski lodge. The only negatives would be that the outdoor pool had cold warm spots that made it very uncomfortable to be in (I was looking forward to swimming outdoors in freezing weather). Ive been in other ski resorts (Zermatt comes to mind) and never experienced the extreme uneven pool heating. The hot tubs were hot though (and it made sense why no one was ever in the pool area during our stay). The other down side was the "English" breakfast we had in Solstice. A very sad example of a true english breakfast and at $18 very overpriced (the baked beans were achingly sweet, the mushrooms non existent), my poached eggs with an english muffin were better and cheaper though not great (the muffin was cold and not toasted well). I would def return here though would just go to the hot tub and skip the breakfast.

Room Tip: One bedroom suites are wonderful...like a small, elegant apartment
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for visiting Stowe Mountain Lodge! We appreciate your comments about the facilities and service - particularly the nod to Housekeeping for assistance with your button. Our staff tries to creat a home-away-from-home feel through these touches. We look forward to welcoming you back from Florida again soon!

Singapore
Reviewed 11 December 2013

The hotel has good service, almost at all fronts - the valet, front desk, restaurant, gym and the ski departments. They have a very good ski programme for kids and my niece had a great day on the slopes with Megan.

Their response to my emails before and after booking was prompt and patient.

My only complaint is that for a relatively costly place, they still charge USD21 per day for parking.

• Stayed December 2013
Florida
Reviewed 9 December 2013

This resort is as the pictures depict it to be. So beautiful and clean and the staff is friendly. Plenty of online restaurants to eat at if it's too cold to go outside. The chef who made us breakfast at spruce camp was delicious and well worth the money. The lounge food and drinks were great as well. Staff recommended some wonderful restaurants in town to check out in the quaint resort part of Stowe. The only draw back is if you don't ski or snow board on the trip, there isn't much else to do at the resort itself. No tubing or snow mobiles. But even if you don't ski and just want a winter wonderland resort...this is the place!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank chaffeeangel
Thank you for sharing your Stowe Mountain Lodge Vermont vacation experience! We are thrilled you were able to join us and enjoyed our Food & Beverage outlets as well as the skiing and riding just outside our door. For those who don't see, we have an incredible spa and active recreation department to lead snow-shoe hikes and other outdoor activities. We hope to welcome you back for your next Stowe, Vermont getaway!

Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 7 December 2013

From the location, views, facility and staff that treats you like family. We've experienced most rooms and prefer the studios with the Ridgeline views. The bathrooms are large and well appointed. The bedroom/living area is very comfortable with couch, reading chairs and fireplace. We've stayed many times and have not heard a sound all night. Add a year-round heated pool and swimming in 20 degree weather. Our favorite get-a-way.

Room Tip: Studio - Ridgeline view.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank ckmitch
new jersey/new york
Reviewed 5 December 2013

This is our 4th stay at SML.
We came this past July and the experience is entirely different this time. We checked in on Friday Nov 29 and checked out on Wednesday Dec 4.
Let me start with the deficiencies:

-The fitness center, which is supposed to be open at 5AM was NEVER open at 5AM, until the day we were checking out; after I made 5 complaints to the front desk/ concierge.
My initial 4 complaints were to Ken, who manned the front desk around 5AM. Every day when I went to the gym a little after 5AM, i would then have to walk all the way to the front desk to ask him to have maintenance open the fitness center.
There is only ONE person in the entire facility that has a key to the fitness center! On every day I had to ask him to get the man to open the gym, I had to wait 15-25 minutes. On the last day I went to ask, the man was doing a shuttle run and picking up employees on the other side of stowe. So, at 5AM, I waited almost an hour to get in to the fitness center!
That day, I finally made a formal complaint to concierge. Then, finally on the next day we were checking out the gym was open at 5AM! I can imagine things happen and there will be delays.
One mistake, two mistake, three mistake, then four... etc.. where is the customer service?
If the gym, can not be depended on to open at 5AM, change the time it will open so your guests are not waking up at the crack of dawn to wait around!

- During our visit, I scheduled a custom facial @ 80 mins for $150. I was looking forward to use of the jacuzzi , steam room and sauna. This was once named something like the #2 spa in the US, I thought.
When I went to use the jacuzzi, it was cold and had bubbles and foam in it. Needless to say, something was wrong. In my robe, I went to the front of the spa to tell Naomi.
She came back to look at the jacuzzi and said that something is definitely wrong. She said she would have the repair man look at it immediately and get back to me. Good thing I didnt sit around waiting for her to get back to me! Or I would have missed my facial. Naomi never came back to tell me anything and even when I was done with my treatment, she wasnt even at the front of the spa. Instead, when I was done with treatment, there was another helper at the cashier area trying to overcharge me. Noone ever apologized for the broken jacuzzi or said anything to indicate it is even being fixed! So much for #2 spa in the US. Did i misread it?

-Lastly, and I did save this for last because it is probably the most unpleasant portion of my experience. Upon return from the spa, I walked into our one bedroom suite. The housekeeping had been there..and tidied things up. Imagine my absolute horror to see that housekeeping had put my socks -THE ONES I HAD BEEN RUNNING IN, AND WALKING ALL OVER THE HOTEL IN --- sitting atop the dining room table!! See the picture... I mean, are you kidding?? People eat on the tables!!! I would suggest management speak to/ or better train housekeeping. If housekeeping is putting socks on the dining room table, what else are they doing?

The positives:
- The restaurant staff at both Hourglass and Solstice are still wonderful and provide excellent service.
The food at both are great. Breakfast at solstice is great.
I see hourglass has changed their menu since our last visit and it includes alot of vegetarian options.

- Custom Facial with Patti was AMAZING! She is truly wonderful, knowledgeable and delightful.
She gives a mean shoulder massage. I loved the custom facial!

- Front desk, concierge is always pleasant and smiling. The bellhops and especially valet guys are the best. They are helpful, friendly, genuine and do a great job making guests feel at ease.

- The hotel is dog friendly and thats great. The accomodations would not lead one to believe they are dog friendly because everything is very clean, pure and higher end.

All in all, this experience had some sour spots, which I hope management will take the time to correct with their staff. We do like the hotel and for the most part, the staff is always friendly and eager to help.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Cocobelle0228
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 3 December 2013

A great place. The staff is great and the rooms are wonderful. Went on a four day getaway with my wife. From the moment we arrived to the moment we left, we were treated as if we were the only one their. I will recommend the Stowe Mountain Lodge to everyone.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
StoweMountainLodge, Manager at Stowe Mountain Lodge, responded to this review, 11 December 2013
Thank you for taking a moment to share your experience! We truly love hearing about our guest’s getaways and enjoy the fact that we’ve made such a positive impact. The management and staff look forward to your return.

Stowe Mountain Lodge