“Top Quality Resort”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Doylestown, Pennsylvania
“Top Quality Resort”
Reviewed 31 January 2014

Our family has stayed at Stowe Mountain Lodge several times for ski weekends, and we absolutely love it! The suites are perfect for our group of 4: clean, roomy and with every possible amenity. The entire staff is welcoming, friendly and helpful, particularly the concierge, who has gone out of his way several times to help us with last-minute dinner reservations that were just what we wanted. The restaurant has improved, and we enjoyed a very nice lunch this stay. My only disappointment is with room service: our food arrived lukewarm and the order incomplete. Ski-in/out is key, and the ski valet is appreciated. I have always enjoyed my treatments at the spa and find it to be very relaxing and the service excellent. We will return again.

Room Tip: Don't get the top-floor suite under the turret in the winter. The master bedroom is on the uppe...
1 Thank Christine J

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (449)
Far Hills, New Jersey
Reviewed 29 January 2014

Beautiful hotel with lovely facility. Management however does not know how to run this level of property. Hotel staff can't offer discount lift ticket price and encourages to go to website to get online discount price. Really???? Hotel staff can't help you get rental skiing equipment and encourages to line up in 1 hour wait line. Really???? Motel service at expensive high class hotel. Would not go back!

1 Thank DDoc127
Fairfax County, Virginia
Reviewed 24 January 2014

The most professional and friendly staff from the moment we step out of our car upon arrival to the gentleman that sent us off! Kudos to all! Although we were there over the busy MLK weekend and the hotel was busy, the room was quiet (and we were on the first floor!)

1 Thank Y C
StoweMountainLodge, Manager at Stowe Mountain Lodge, responded to this review, 26 January 2014
Thank you for your fantastic review of Stowe Mountain Lodge! We pride ourselves on the high level of service from the time you arrive until you depart. We look forward to welcoming you back for your next stay in Stowe, Vermont!

Irvine, California
Reviewed 22 January 2014

Five of us snuck off for a well-deserved ski weekend over MLK weekend, and chose wisely to stay a the hotel, though I have noticed a wide range of reviews lately, both good and bad.
The hotel is set off by itself, midway up the mountain, and a good 6 miles from the town of Stowe. It's a convenient ski-in, ski-out property, and the resort is large enough to have anything you'd want and need for a successful trip.
The good:
The hotel lobby is beautiful, with a roaring fireplace, sufficient seating for a large group, an adjacent bar, huge picture windows overlooking the skiiers, and an excellent menu of finger foods.
The hotel has a HUGE pool and multiple hot tubs, and the area gets lots of usage both during the day and after skiing.
The hotel has a good-sized spa, and though it was adequate, it's a bit less than what I've found in similarly sized and priced places, it was certainly good enough.
The morning buffet breakfast is excellent, with very good selection of quality foods.
The rooms are very nice. I stayed in a studio, which was large and comfortable, with a fireplace, separate shower and tub, and it was quite comfortable. Other members of our party had standard rooms, and they were all satisfied.

The not so good:
Their fine dining restaurant is nothing more than eh...I wasn't impressed.
The town of Stowe, while charming, is a good ride away (there's traffic to get there after ski hours, and you'll crawl with traffic for the six miles down the mountain. There's nothing special about Stowe. It's cute, but is no comparison to the nicer communities out in the skiing areas of the rockies.
It's not easy to get there. It's a good hour from the nearest airport, and a haul from either Boston or NYC. In the time it takes to drive there, you might as well fly to Salt Lake City.
It's not EXPENSIVE, but it's certainly no bargain. I thought it was a lovely hotel, but certainly not on a par with five star properties elsewhere. Sorry, I'm being honest.

Bottom line: If you're looking for a good experience for east coast skiing, this is a terrific property, but it's not the equal of the Four Seasons property in Jackson Hole. Not even close.

Have fun, enjoy your traveling!

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the south side.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank steve l
los angeles
Reviewed 21 January 2014 via mobile

My boyfriend & I booked a one bedroom suit because we had our dog along on the trip. When we got to the room, it was small, dirty with a big lumpy bed and a very cheap looking bathroom! We tried changing rooms but they wouldn't accommodate us of course...
Anyway, the lodge is big but isn't all that nice... There are screaming kids everywhere, even in the hall ways, so if you don't like small children, this isn't the place for you... They run up & down the halls at all hours of the night but you don't hear the noise inside the room...
Anyway, after a long drive up, we had dinner in the Restaurant downstairs the first night....Disgusting...i don't know why this place has such great reviews but it was really awful! I ordered the chicken which looked like prison camp chicken & it was served with things i cant even describe on my plate. My bf ordered the sea bass which was equally as bad! When they picked up the plates, they didn't even ask if we enjoyed the meal... $90 for what?!!
But real reason I'm leaving review is b/c of what we experienced checking out. We left early that morning to beat the traffic home & i accidentally left my PRESCRIPTION sun glasses in my room (which were a Christmas present) I remember the maid (cheryl blonde woman) went in right after we left. Once i got home i called the lodge in a panic hoping they would have turned them in... No such luck! I spoke to everyone including management all i got was a bunch polite F.U.'s if you will... But They will call if suddenly turn up....Guess i can check ebay!
They charge $700 a night & they can't even return my belongings?? They were prescription glasses nearly $600 ..you would think they would turn them in...
It was pretty much one of the worst weekend stays ever...
The staff are rude, the place is dull, and the foods terrible!
Eat in town if you can... Theres a great deli on the way down the mountain that brews delicious coffee, excellent turkey sandwiches, breakfast sandwiches & amazing baked goods... Forgot the name but its on the right & it says #1 deli... And it is!
For breakfast we stopped in green goddess cafe... Great breakfasts, salads, & sandwiches... Much more Pleasant place than the lodge ...

• Stayed January 2014
5 Thank walburgerz
StoweMountainLodge, Manager at Stowe Mountain Lodge, responded to this review, 3 February 2014
Thank you for sharing your recent experience. We cater to all types of visits; including families, groups, and couples’ getaways. We can certainly empathize as it pertains to wanting some time away from the crowds. Consequently, we take great pride in providing alternative room locations if, in the event, one is available during a guest visit. Additionally, our Alpine Concierge is available to assist in planning visits and activities in advance of guest arrivals.

I was concerned to hear about the loss of your prescription glasses. I have spoken with our Housekeeping, Front Desk and Security Departments in attempt to resolve any shortfalls in service. I have also forwarded your dining observations to our Food & Beverage team. Please feel to reach out to me directly at the Lodge in the event you have any additional questions or concerns.

Reviewed 20 January 2014 via mobile

My sister and I stayed here in October. We were only there for one night. Dinner at solstice was excellent and our server was friendly, prompt and attentive. The pool area was huge and outdoor pool temp was perfect. When we were ready for bed, we realized our pillow cases hadn't been changed! They stunk like a dirty scalp. It was late so we just slept with no pillows. Then, in the morning when showering, I looked down at the drain when in the shower and there was a huge ball of black hair!! I mean, come on. This was one of the most disgusting stays I've ever had in a hotel. I come to Stowe at least once a year for skiing. I will never, ever stay at this property again. I'll stick to the other 4/5 star hotel that always exceeds my expectations a few minutes down the hill on Mountain Rd.

• Stayed October 2013
StoweMountainLodge, Manager at Stowe Mountain Lodge, responded to this review, 28 January 2014
Thank you for sharing your experience. This is not indicative of the service we strive to provide and will share this with the staff in order to train and correct the housekeeping shortfalls. I would appreciate the chance to speak with you directly about your experience so please reach out to me at the hotel. We hope to be able to welcome you back.

Director of Room
Stoughton, Massachusetts
Reviewed 17 January 2014

I have been visiting Stowe for more than 25 years, but this was my first trip to the Mountain Lodge Resort. I was a lovely resort, but costly. Mandatory valet parking, mandatory ski valet for all the ski equipment, etc... If you're made of money, this is the perfect place for you at Stowe. I can't complain about the service I received while at the resort, but I do feel there was a push to try and keep visitors from leaving the resort area. To that end, I feel that staying at the Stowe Mountain Lodge took away much of the small ski town charm I have come to enjoy at Stowe. So if you don't care about cost and don't want to leave your hotel, I have the place for you.

Room Tip: If you choose a Studio Room, you get a little kitchenette. This allows you to bring food and snacks...
Green Features: Resort uses energy saving appliances and lighting, but needs to add recycle containers for plastics and paper. Strangely enough, saw a recycle bin for used corks!
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
Thank you for sharing your experience. Our goal is to provide a level of service and a luxury, slope-side stay for those looking to visit Stowe. While this does come at a cost, we also hope you find value through all the high-end amenities, service and touches we have incorporated throughout the hotel.