“Great Experience and would come back”
Review of Green Mountain Inn

Green Mountain Inn
Ranked #1 of 24 Hotels in Stowe
Reviewed 7 April 2014

We had been working with the Green Mountain Inn to bring a group of skier up the Sugar Slalom at Stowe. Group reservations was helpful to organize our room block for 10 families. Our room was
perfect for our family of 4. Beds were comfortable and bathrooms clean and well appointed. Pool and hot tub outside was a great gathering area for everyone even though it was 30 degrees outside. Breakfast was good. The place seems to be a destination for other families attending the Sugar Slalom as well.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
GreenMtnInn, General Manager at Green Mountain Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 14 April 2014

The Sugar Slalom in Stowe is an annual tradition since 1940 and we’re always pleased to welcome participants to the Green Mountain Inn. We hope you enjoyed yourself at the race and welcoming the arrival of Spring to the area! It was our pleasure to assist with making your group as comfortable as possible and I’m glad you were able to utilize our soothing outdoor heated pool after a fun day on the slopes. Thank you for your review.

Reviewed 2 April 2014

Located at the crossroads in Stowe, the Green Mountain Inn is classic New England - tons of atmosphere. Our room was small but reasonably priced. If you want a firm bed (and if you're going skiing you'll want one), make sure to ask for one at the front desk. Our mattress was soft and sagged in the middle.

Parking at the hotel was great. Easy to off-load and there was always a parking space.

Their restaurant, The Whip, has good but not great food. The restaurant's staff leaves a lot to be desired. We waited 10 minutes before someone came to the table, the drink order was wrong and then the food arrived so quickly we felt a little rushed. We recommend Harrison's across the street. There's a reason why you need reservations there. It's fabulous - service and food.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
GreenMtnInn, General Manager at Green Mountain Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 7 April 2014

I’m thrilled to hear that our central location worked out so well for you and happy that you chose the Green Mountain Inn as your accommodations during your visit to Stowe. Attention to detail is extremely important when it comes to providing our guests with an exceptional experience. I appreciate you sharing your concerns with us so that we may work harder to ensure that our guests’ needs are fully met and our service levels are outstanding. I certainly appreciate your feedback and hope that you will have another opportunity to visit us again in the future. Thank you for your review.

Reviewed 29 March 2014

The location of this property is awesome! There is even a public, free shuttle that runs daily from early morning until around 9pm; however, when we tried to use it, we were informed the times had changed and we were given the incorrect schedule by the inn. I am not sure if this was actually their fault, though, as we were told there was some type of bus strike going on; maybe, the schedule was changed and the bus service didn't notify anyone?
So, I would say the property is average. We stayed in a 1 bedroom apt/condo which had the parking right at the front door. It was warm and cozy, as it snowed and the outside temp ranged from -7 to 20s. The kitchen was newer and nice and the apt layout was nice. We travelled with an infant and young child, so it was nice having the bedroom seperate from the living space. Also, the bathroom was between the bedroom and living area, so after bedtime, no one was disturbed by restroom use. Also, as requested, the inn provided a pack-n-play for the baby.
It was a bit dated, however. The furniture was older and the carpet was really worn, even musty and smelly in certain areas. How could it not be with so much snow tracking indoors? It really should've at least been cleaned and shampooed prior to our arrival. Also, the kitchen wasn't really as clean as it should have been. When I took some of the dishes out of the cabinet, they were dirty, a wine glass still had lipstick. Also, the dishwasher still had dishes in it, which I didn't know if they were clean or not. I rewashed everything before we used them. The fridge was nice and spotless, though, and kept what little food we bought very fresh. Also, the oven and stove were spotless.
The bathroom had a bathtub/jacuzzi, which I find a bit gross, as those can not be really cleaned thoroughly. My husband used it once after his first day of skiing and said it was great.
One more perk was a discount that some of the area shops offered if you are staying at the inn, which we used at the Moon chocolate shop down the street. Also, the staff was very friendly and eager to assist. For example, one morning I was making breakfast and realized that there wasn't a cookie sheet. When I called the front desk, they ran it over in the freezing cold within about 5 minutes!
I would recommend, but just don't expect a brand new property. Great location, great price, great staff.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Melynda B
GreenMtnInn, General Manager at Green Mountain Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 2 April 2014

With a rich history dating back to 1833, the Green Mountain Inn provides our guests with an exciting mixture of a bit of old-fashioned and Inn-like qualities a taste of modern amenities. I’m pleased to hear that your family was comfortable and found the layout of our apartments a perfect fit for your needs. I do apologize for the few inconveniences within your stay and will speak with our Housekeeping staff to re-emphasize the need for consistent and thorough cleaning of each room. Thank you for letting me know about your experience. I hope to welcome you and your family back to the Green Mountain Inn again and again.

Reviewed 28 March 2014

Just got back from Green Mountain Inn. It was wonderful! I stayed here last year but this year was even better!
I stayed in the Mansfield House - Room 731. It ended up being a one bedroom suite with a fireplace and Jacuzzi tub in the bedroom. Very nice touch and the tub was nice for soaking after a day of skiing at Stowe.
I have nothing at all to complain about - it was near perfect. The setting of the Inn is great. Quiet and surrounded by woods. The first night I ate at Whip (the restaurant in the basement of the Inn) and it was fabulous - great steak and salad.
Second night I ate at Harrison's - a little bar type grill - across the street from the GMI. Great traditional bar food there too (they do have more than just bar food).
The room was clean, well kept and very homey. I felt comfortable and safe staying alone (yet another work trip for me!).
Outside of Mansfield House there is a bonfire they light every night - I've included pictures of my room and the bonfire. It was great to go sit out and enjoy not only the great weather, but the other people staying at the inn.
All in all, this is one of the best stays I've had for business to date. The staff at the Green Mountain Inn are impeccable (they recognized I'd been there before) and not only that, the SAME people are working there that were there last year (both front desk and the restaurant for breakfast).
Definitely stay here - and upgrade your room if possible. Last year I stayed in a deluxe room (had a fireplace too) but the extra space was nice this time around.
Have fun!

Room Tip: Request a room in Mansfield facing West - you'll have a view of the bonfire and of the forest ac...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business

Having an opportunity to make new friends is a great benefit to spending some time relaxing outside around the fire pit at the Green Mountain Inn. I’m so happy you enjoyed your time spent here and your pictures are wonderful! Thank you for your kind recommendation of our Inn and for sharing so much of what makes you happy when you are here. I look forward to welcoming you back over and over again. Thank you!

Reviewed 28 March 2014

Just what you would expect at a Vermont inn: charm, coziness, comfort, and a hospitable, accommodating staff.

Room: I wanted a room in the main inn, but the two-bed deluxe are quite small and it seems that most of the space is taken up by the beds. For the same price and category (fireplace and whirlpool bathtub) we took a much larger room in the Club House instead. I was concerned at first that we were sacrificing convenience bec. it entailed walking outside (in the cold!) to/from the main building where the common rooms and restaurants are located. On the other hand, the Club House was more convenient to the spa facilities such as the fabulous jacuzzis (both indoor and outdoor), pool, and gym. The only inconvenience and minor annoyance was when we had several episodes (in one day) of our key cards not functioning which meant making a special trip to the reception desk in the main building.

Spa: The massage therapists at the Stowe Village Massage at the GMI are fabulous! Special shout out to Jennifer and Kate. You can sign the bill to your room, and the prices are VERY reasonable, esp. compared to the spa up at the slopeside resort.

Restaurants: Breakfast was not included in the rate, but the buffet at the inn (choice of continental or full) has plenty to offer to start the day. For dinner, The Whip on the lower level is very popular and atmospheric, esp. the bar. The only disappointment was that on our second visit, my mom's steak was practically inedible; it was so tough and full of gristle, you could make a shoe out of it. When the hostess (not the waitress) picked up my mom's plate and asked (rhetorically, apparently) "how was everything?" we told her the steak had not been good. While I wasn't expecting a replacement main course, I think that as a gesture of good will we should have been offered a complimentary dessert or adult beverage. Unfortunately, nothing was offered nor did we press the issue.

Overall, though, we enjoyed our visit at the GMI and our Stowe experience.

Room Tip: Because the main inn is the original (and old) building, rooms (at least in the deluxe category) ten...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family

I am so pleased to hear that you were fully impressed by the service levels you received from our staff and equally as happy by your accommodations. Isn’t Stowe Massage just a wonderful place to visit; the therapists will be thrilled to receive your compliments. I am concerned to read about the meal you were served and find it unacceptable that the situation was not handled differently. I will be sure to share your comments with our staff in order to pre-empt any further problems such as this. It would be our pleasure to welcome you and your mom back for another great stay and I thank you for your review.

Reviewed 27 March 2014 via mobile

Stay at this hotel during recent trip to Stowe. Purchased ski stay package. It was awesome. Staff is very accommodating on everything. Nothing a problem to them. The hotel itself is just beautiful,quaint and charming. The common areas are exceptionally inviting and cozy. They make you relax just being there enjoying the surroundings. They have plenty of different games on tables to enjoy by yourself, family or with others. The decor throughout is very tasteful and pleasant. My room was spotless, well appointed and spacious. Had plenty of closet space and hangers to dry ski clothes. Had refrigerator, Keurig, iron and board, comfortable chairs, etc. The beds were beyond awesomely comfortable. Experienced no noises from other guests while in room. Very quiet. The outdoor pool and spa area are so relaxing and a must do. Visit this wonderful hotel and encounter its fantastic environment. You will not be disappointed!!!!

• Stayed: March 2014

Your review perfectly describes just what we want for each of our guests at the Green Mountain Inn. Relaxation, comfort and pure enjoyment! Thank you for letting me know that so many aspects of our Inn made your stay memorable. I hope you enjoyed your time skiing and I look forward to greeting you again in the future!

Reviewed 23 March 2014

Wow! Amazing place. Like going back in time, but with all the commodities of 2014:) decoration and furniture is sooo romantic and not cheesy at all. Nice gaz fireplace and bath, really comfortable 4 posters bed. Liked that we can rent movies at the frontdesk for a small amount of money. Outside year round heated pool and spa (was a must since it rained so muche when we went that we were not able to ski). This place definitely saved our weekend. Breakfast was amazing. So much delicious pastries! The gentleman who welcomed us at the entrance even spoke a little french to us when He realised we were from quebec. that was a simple but really client oriented gesture. Front desk helpful in finding restaurants, call tacis or get bus schedule. The bar was cool too for late night drink: They even had trivial pursuit game cards! Loved this place. Will definitely go back.

Room Tip: We liked the old part of the inn for its "back in time" feeling, furniture and decoration.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank carnelia

I am thrilled to hear that you had such a wonderful getaway at the Green Mountain Inn! I certainly appreciate your kind words about our staff and your lovely descriptions of your favorite parts of your stay. The weather doesn’t always cooperate, so it makes us happy to be able to make the most out of our guests’ stays and provide them with an array of activities to make up for the inclement weather. It would be my pleasure to welcome you back to our Inn and I thank you for your kind review.