We stayed at the Inn for a weekend in September 2012. We had a wonderful time, enjoyed our room, dinner, breakfast, the pool, everything. We decided to return for our 10th anniversary in October of 2013.
We were unable to get a babysitter for the weekend, so decided to bring our young children along, and reserved a suite/family room. Unfortunately, we needed to cancel our reservation. A few weeks before our trip, my husband called to cancel. The person on the phone was very abrupt, and when I spoke with my husband about it, he assumed it had been cancelled. I called back a few days later, and in fact, our reservation HAD NOT been cancelled, and I was told that we would be charged a fee of one nights stay, because we were calling w/in the 2 weeks notice they require.
Devastated. I tried to explain that we had called previously, but they had no record of it. I decided to explain exactly why we were cancelling: we had just found out that my 5 year old son needed to have surgery a few days after we were scheduled to stay at the Inn. We obviously could not travel ahead of his surgery, and kept him home from school that week to avoid contact with others, and the possibility of becoming ill (which would have postponed his surgery). The manager huffed and puffed, and really showed us no sympathy at all.
She finally (after we brought our credit card company into the conversation), agreed to refund the charged amount if I sent a letter from the doctor. I guess she didn't believe me about the surgery. Well, I did- faxed it the following week after I received it from our Dr./hospital....and yet still, months later, NO REFUND! No surprise here. I would have followed up, but honestly, I was so saddened by the entire thing, that I just wanted to forget about it...
Our 10 year anniversary, a wonderful milestone...we are grateful that our son did very well, and recovered fully after his surgery. But we'll always remember how this Inn treated us...With no caring or sympathy at all. We are not rich people, like I'm sure some of the guests are! A night stay at the Inn for us is a lot of money. And I'm truly upset that we missed an opportunity to have a wonderful weekend at this Inn.
Though I have tried, I've been unable to forget this unfortunate experience, so decided to post this review:
Beware the customer service.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A beautifully restored historic inn blending classic country charm and modern amenities in the heart of Stowe village. Offering over 100 quaint rooms, suites, townhouses and apartments, many with fireplaces and Jacuzzis. Enjoy sumptuous cuisine in two dining rooms - including the famous Whip Bar & Grill with outdoor terrace. Heated outdoor pool, afternoon tea & cookies, health club with Jacuzzi, sauna and massage. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Odigeo, Priceline, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., Cancelon, getaroom.com, Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your Green Mountain Inn reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Green Mountain Hotel Stowe
- Green Mountain Resort
- Green Mountain Stowe
- Green Mountain Inn Stowe, Vermont