“Bad Customer Service”

Ranked #1 of 24 Hotels in Stowe
concord, nh
“Bad Customer Service”
Reviewed 25 July 2014

We stayed at the Inn for a weekend in September 2012. We had a wonderful time, enjoyed our room, dinner, breakfast, the pool, everything. We decided to return for our 10th anniversary in October of 2013.

We were unable to get a babysitter for the weekend, so decided to bring our young children along, and reserved a suite/family room. Unfortunately, we needed to cancel our reservation. A few weeks before our trip, my husband called to cancel. The person on the phone was very abrupt, and when I spoke with my husband about it, he assumed it had been cancelled. I called back a few days later, and in fact, our reservation HAD NOT been cancelled, and I was told that we would be charged a fee of one nights stay, because we were calling w/in the 2 weeks notice they require.

Devastated. I tried to explain that we had called previously, but they had no record of it. I decided to explain exactly why we were cancelling: we had just found out that my 5 year old son needed to have surgery a few days after we were scheduled to stay at the Inn. We obviously could not travel ahead of his surgery, and kept him home from school that week to avoid contact with others, and the possibility of becoming ill (which would have postponed his surgery). The manager huffed and puffed, and really showed us no sympathy at all.

She finally (after we brought our credit card company into the conversation), agreed to refund the charged amount if I sent a letter from the doctor. I guess she didn't believe me about the surgery. Well, I did- faxed it the following week after I received it from our Dr./hospital....and yet still, months later, NO REFUND! No surprise here. I would have followed up, but honestly, I was so saddened by the entire thing, that I just wanted to forget about it...

Our 10 year anniversary, a wonderful milestone...we are grateful that our son did very well, and recovered fully after his surgery. But we'll always remember how this Inn treated us...With no caring or sympathy at all. We are not rich people, like I'm sure some of the guests are! A night stay at the Inn for us is a lot of money. And I'm truly upset that we missed an opportunity to have a wonderful weekend at this Inn.

Though I have tried, I've been unable to forget this unfortunate experience, so decided to post this review:
Beware the customer service.

Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
7 Thank pennymarvel
GreenMtnInn, General Manager at Green Mountain Inn, responded to this review, 29 July 2014
Thank you for reaching out to me regarding the unfortunate experience that you encountered back in October. I do not recall this particular situation and I cannot imagine why we made it difficult for you to cancel your reservation or refund your advance deposit in a timely manner, given the circumstances. Please accept my sincerest apologies for the manner in which this situation was handled. We strive to provide our guests with the best possible customer service, and in your situation, we failed. First and foremost, your advance deposit will be refunded immediately and credited back to the credit card you used. This may take a few days, but in the meantime, I would also like to invite you back to the Inn as our guest. I will be sending a letter outlining exactly what we would like to do to make this situation right and provide you with the exceptional and memorable stay that you deserve. Thank you again for sharing your concerns with me.

Patti Clark

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (422)
Pennsylvania
Reviewed 24 July 2014

Walking into their front office, I was somewhat apprehensive as to how the rooms would look. We booked on a travel site, and hoped that their description was correct. They nailed it. The king-sized (by request) bed was extremely comfortable, and all of the furnishings were tastefully done, although it took a bit to find the in-room fridge since I had forgotten about it. As a tall guy, I was somewhat disappointed by the position of the shower head, but won't downgrade them because of that. The shower stall was not as big as I'd have liked, but at the very least I got to say hello to my feet. In fact, the light in the shower was burned out, and since we didn't need it, we didn't tell anyone. Apparently, when the room attendant saw that it was out, she replaced the bulb on her own. Impressive! The Keurig in the room was a nice touch, too. I especially liked that the room key cards also operated the doors to the building, so that it could only be accessed by the current residents. The parking lot had plenty of parking, with a regular (steps) entrance in the front and a handicapped entrance in the rear. All-in-all, a wonderful hotel right in the main area of Stowe.

Room Tip: Ask for the Mill House. The rooms are a little more expensive, but well worth it.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
GreenMtnInn, General Manager at Green Mountain Inn, responded to this review, 31 July 2014
It is always a pleasure to learn when our guests are completely satisfied with their stay! All of the amenities that we provide at the Green Mountain Inn were well thought out with our guests in mind and also with the hopes of sharing a true Vermont experience. I do apologize for the inconvenience of a burned out bulb in your room, but I am happy to see that our dedicated housekeeping staff quickly fixed the issue. Thank you for letting me know how much you enjoyed your stay and I look forward to welcoming you back again and again.

Wantage, NJ
Reviewed 24 July 2014

I was a little concerned about staying right in the middle of town.....Main Street in Stowe can be very busy. But this Inn is comprised of a series of buildings and most rooms are well away from Main Street. We were in the Mansfield building, in a luxury suite, that far surpassed many of the rooms we've stayed in anywhere.....especially at this price. The property was very clean, well furnished, bathroom well appointed and roomy, and the staff were helpful and friendly. One note: if you have accessibility needs, ask for information and accommodation when booking your stay. This is an old inn on varying levels with varying levels of accessibility. There are several nice restaurants within walking distance, including the in house restaurant. The pool area is not large, but is perfectly adequate as far as seating, lounges, and pool size. There is food/drink service available at the pool. Would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Wifi was sporadic in our end room. Ask about that if its important to you.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for mentioning all the areas that made your stay at the Green Mountain Inn so enjoyable. We do have several places within our Inn that allow for handicap accessibility, including a wheelchair lift in the Mansfield House. I’m so glad you had a chance to explore Stowe while you were here and I look forward to greeting you again in the future. Thank you again for your kind comments.

England
Reviewed 24 July 2014

From the moment we arrived we realised that this hotel is so much more than your usual place to stay. The staff seemed to genuinely care about you and are at pains to ensure you have everything you need for your comfort.
We stayed in a suite in the Mansion House and we could not fault one single thing. On entering the building and hearing the soft classical music playing in the hall, then taking the grand staircase to our room it was as if we had been transported to a bygone elegance.
The suite itself was wonderful with every attention to detail you could think of. As our trip was to celebrate my birthday it was lovely to discover a card and chocolates waiting in our room. So thoughtful but just one of the many kindnesses we received whilst staying here.
The breakfast was superb not least because of the friendly and happy staff serving. We had never tried pancakes before but were persuaded to and boy are we glad we did. You certainly made a couple of English converts there!
We would have no hesitation in recommending this wonderful hotel to anyone who wished to savour the warm hospitality and genuine friendliness of Vermont folk.
Thank you for making our stay so great.

Room Tip: Mansion House every time but I'm sure you would enjoy any as long as its at this hotel!!
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank LesleyDick
Your review has certainly made me smile! Knowing that each and every one of your needs were met while staying at the Green Mountain Inn makes me very happy. Happy Birthday from all of us! How wonderful to hear that you had the chance to try the amazing pancakes from our Main Street Dining Room! I will be sure to share your comments with our staff as I’m sure they will make their day. Thank you for all your gracious compliments for both the Inn itself and our staff. Please come and stay with us again soon!

Westmount, Canada
Reviewed 22 July 2014

The process is typically the same no matter where you go. You check in, you meander down endless hallways to find your room, you fight with the door card, you unpack, and then you open your eyes to your surroundings, you realize where you are, and then you appreciate your surroundings. This is not the case at The Green Mountain Inn. As you approach the village of Stowe, you can't but help being overwhelmed with the feeling that you are in a special place which magically eliminates stress and thoughts of anything going on beyond the borders of the village. Once you enter the Inn you feel as though you have been taken back in time to a place and time when people care about the guests they serve, and the inn that they manage and maintain. It is evident that this is not a chain hotel with a centralized booking service, and a corporate operations guide. The Green Mountain Inn staff practices their trade by delivering personal attention, being positive and personable, and a pleasure to interact with.

From the decor to the maintenance, the inn common areas and guest rooms are well appointed, and the attention to detail makes you feel right at home. The grounds are larger than one might perceive from the main street, but are well laid out and easy to access, and almost feel like a small village. Services and shops are conveniently located and provide a full range of products and services. In fact, you may never need to leave the grounds to find everything you need.

Hotel restaurants typically provide adequate fare, but in the case of the Whip, they have managed to put out some well prepared meals during our stay. Of note their burger may be one of the best in Stowe. Using beef from locally raised cattle, and a fresh brioche style bun, their burger is perfectly cooked with a nice crisp finish on the meat, without being over cooked. Pair that with what seems to be their endless supply of Heady Topper Ale, and you can't beat the experience.

Did I mention the endless supply of Heady Topper, one of the most sought after craft ales in America? Had to mention this again, as it may be one of the only ways for anyone to actually get ahold of a can of this golden goodness.

From the fire pit, (with S'mores in the evening), to the Whip patio overlooking the pool deck, to the out door pool and jacuzzi there is plenty of space and things to do to distract you from anything outside the hotel.

Great place to relax and forget the world.

Room Tip: The suites in the Mansfield house can't be beat.
1 Thank Ryk E
Now you have made me hungry! What an amazing review; thank you so much! You are correct, there is something magical about the village of Stowe and the Green Mountain Inn is right at the heart of all of it. Quaint shops and delectable eateries are within steps of our doors and if you don’t want to venture out, you’ll have no problem finding something to do right here at the Inn. You have described the experience at the GMI perfectly and I thank you. It would be a privilege to have you return.

New York City, New York
Reviewed 21 July 2014

After several days of staying in perfectly fine but non-descript chain hotels, it was a breath of fresh air to stay in the charming Green Mountain Inn. It’s an historic inn with modern amenities located right in the center of town. The inn seems to have grown organically as there is a main building that connects through halls and up and down staircases to other sections of the sprawling two story hotel property. The main building houses the reception area, Whip Bar & Grill, breakfast room and comfortable classic cozy sitting areas complete with fireplaces, chess and other parlour games . If stairs are a problem, ask for a room in the main building, which has an elevator.

Our queen bedded room (not in the main bldg) was comfortable with puffy inviting beds and artwork by local artists on the walls. While I thought a corner niche with fridge and coffee maker added to the charm, my husband and kids loved the very modern amenity of an extremely large flat screen TV. Bathroom was spotless with thick bath towels and a frameless glass enclosed shower. Although the bedroom and bathroom weren’t large, they were comfortable enough for 4 people. The only things desperately missing from the room were a small table near the armchairs so you could rest a drink or a book, and a desk so you could do some work or write a note. We had a small shared balcony that overlooked the pool area, which has chaise lounges and tables with umbrellas.

The pool itself was wonderfully heated. There is a separate baby pool and also a hot tub. My teenage kids and I loved playing ping pong and the giant “connect four,” which are in the pool area. A game room nearby has pinball and billiards (for a fee). The exercise room is pleasant and well equipped. I didn’t use the sauna but it looked great.

We ate in the Whip bar and grill one night, which was pretty good. Although the buffet breakfast in the hotel seemed popular and got rave reviews online, we opted instead to go next door to a café for basics -- bagels, croissants and waffles. The front desk is helpful, wi-fi is free, there is plenty of parking and the 4pm tea and cookies are a nice touch. Overall, the Green Mountain Inn was a perfect summertime landing spot from which to explore Stowe and the surrounding towns.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank alf99
How wonderful that you and your family enjoyed your stay with us and were able to relax and fully enjoy the welcoming atmosphere of the Green Mountain Inn. I’m thrilled that you had the opportunity to enjoy some quality family time at our outdoor heated pool and that our convenient location allowed you to make the most out of your stay. I’d be thrilled to welcome all of you back for another wonderful experience and I thank you for your gracious review.

Cork, Ireland
Reviewed 21 July 2014

We stayed here in April for three nights. It is a lovely hotel with friendly and helpful staff. The rooms were very clean if a little on the small size. It is right in the middle of Stowe and within easy walking distance is a great selection of shops, restaurants and activities (including the Stowe recreation path which is across the road). There is also a nice gym, indoor spa pool, outdoor spa pool and outdoor pool (the outdoor pools are only open in the evenings for the winter).

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Enjoying our outdoor pool during the winter months is truly a one-of-a-kind experience, but all year long, our pool and spa are a great place to unwind and relax. It sounds like you had an opportunity to enjoy many of the things that make staying at the Green Mountain Inn special, and that makes me happy. I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future and thank you for sharing your experience.