“Classic Vermont Inn”
Review of The Stowe Inn

The Stowe Inn
Ranked #15 of 22 Stowe B&B and Inns
Reviewed 25 September 2012

This is exactly what we think about when we think about a Vermont Inn. The only thing missing at the front desk is Bob Newhart. Thankfully, the housekeeping staff is excellent, no Stephanie here.
Our room did not come with a refrigerator,don't know if any do.This was not a problem for us.
The restaurant is staffed by excellent, knowledgable and friendly people. Our waitress was Yvette, a pleasant well informed young woman who gave us much of the history on the bar.
The chef, Joshua Anthony, prepared an eye pleasing taste sensation for our meal. It was the first night he had changed to the fall menu. The Fall Salad was a palate pleaser and a perfect introduction to the the main course, Roasted Chicken Breast served colorfully with well chosen vegetables.
Besides the historical building, the center piece of the River House Tavern is the antique, lovingly restored, stand up bar from an old Irish pub near Grant's Tomb in NYC. Thank you Yvette for this slice of history.Grant's portrait is respectfully illuminated in the bar area.
Loved the musician that played Saturday night, really good music!
Our room was spacious, even with a king bed. Plenty of drawer space. WiFi available.
If you will be here on a Saturday before Nov 30, ask about The Murder Mystery Dinner. It was filled by the time we arrived, but it looked like fun, and we would have had the perfect nite for it. "It was a dark and stormy night..."
The location of the Inn is a huge plus!!!! We walked across the Covered Pedestrian Bridge to Downtown and enjoyed the local shops. A local play was being performed Saturday night. Local artwork is scattered about the downtown. There is much to discover. See the Ski Museum.
A short drive away are the Cabot Cheese Annex, Ben & Jerry's (do the tour) and the Apple Core, home of the best apple cider ever! The glass blowing is very interesting. And of course, in season, skiing.
There is an outdoor pool at the Inn, in season, also.
Very enjoyable weekend. We would come again. The one thing that could have made it better was some coffee in the complimentary coffee carafe in the lobby. it was always empty. A morning cup of coffee on that beautiful porch would have been Heaven.

Room Tip: Ask to stay in the main house of the Inn for that real New England Inn experience. A great couples...
2  Thank hobbittravel
neylaEscondido, Guest Relations Manager at The Stowe Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 12 October 2012

Dear Hobbitravel,

Thank you very much for the lovely review of our property the Stowe Inn and for for recognizing our staff who work hard to exceed guest expectations.

We were delighted to hear that you had a wonderful stay. We hope to see you again very soon for your next stay in Stowe, VT.

Reviewed 23 September 2012

I have to admit, we were very disappointed with our experience at The Stow Inn. We made the mistake of staying in the "Carriage House", which is separate from the main hotel...don't make the same mistake. Maybe the rooms in the main Inn are nicer? This place has a lot of potential, but the rooms are very run down. As soon as I walked in my room, I thought it was a mistake. It was so musty, clearly there were pets in the room, and I'm not even convinced the room was cleaned. It was like stepping back into a hotel room from the mid-80's. The mattress on the bed was so uncomfortable...I had back pain the while time. The walls were all dirty, the tv was from the 80's, the tub had stains, I don't even want to imagine what was in the carpet...My bare feet did not touch any floor space once. The overall area of Stowe is lovely, and the physical property is nice. Thre's a difference between "Vermont Charm" and "dump"...I found the Stowe Inn to be the latter. If the owners invested in the space and actually renovated the rooms, this would be a great place...but as on now, it's not. The shower did have good water pressure, so they have that going for them.

Room Tip: Do not stay in the carriage house.
1  Thank Jeff S

Dear Jeff S,

Thank you for posting your feedback from your visit with us. I am deeply troubled to hear about your experience at our hotel.

We did address this issue with our Housekeeping department. I have reviewed your reservation log, you have stayed in a pet friendly room, we constantly deep clean the carpet every time a guest stays in a pet friendly room.

We thank you again for staying with us Jeff.

Reviewed 11 September 2012

It's September 11th, 2012 and here we sit at 9a.m. waiting for our expanded continental breakfast. No one is here and guests are wondering around patiently waiting for their breakfast. What a joke. No staff whatsoever. The handyman has called the manaer who lives in Burlington a 40 min. drive away. No wonder they have you pay up front.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank Rhonda K

Dear Rjlm,

Reviewed 6 September 2012

What a disappointment. The room I had reserved was given to somebody else because the these people had a room that they could not breathe in (allergic reaction : pets are allowed in this hotel) so they switch them rooms. By the time I checked in they gave me the room the people had been in. When I got in the room, it was a mess, it had not been cleaned up. Very dirty. Yes I understand that these rooms have not been renovated but at least clean them???? What can I say about the continental breakfast, disaster. No staff, no glasses, dishes, bread (one toaster, 2 slots for everybody???) You have the option to order for a price other breakfast items, that fine but no staff to take care of you. The cleaning lady was the one that had to take our order??? Poor girl, she did what she could thank god for her. The floor in the restaurant very disgusting. It is a shame for a hotel in this historical place can't be better than that. I do not recommend this hotel to anyone not even my worse enemy. The beds sooo uncomfortable, we ran out of hot water, the shower had not been cleaned in a while, no clean towels for the next day, remote control for the TV not working, we ran out of toilet paper (half a roll was in the bathroom when we got there, no extra one). My sister had also rented a room and it was worse than mine... Never will we back there. The only nice thing I have to say is that the staff were very nice at least there's that. So sorry for this bad review but travellers must be made aware of these circumstances.....

Room Tip: Don't choose this hotel
1  Thank SylvieDucharme
neylaEscondido, Guest Relations Manager at The Stowe Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 12 September 2012

Dear Sylvieducharme,

Thank you for your feedback, my name is Neyla, Director of Sales & Marketing. I would like to investigate further your stay so I can learn more about the service that our hotel has provided so that we can look to improve our process for the future. Please feel free to contact me at assistant@globalhmg.com to discuss further.

If you have any further questions or concerns, I would be happy to help however I can.

Reviewed 26 August 2012

A cozy mix of old and new at an affordable price. Wonderful restaurant and bar on premises with a top chef. As a retired chef myself I was absolutely thrilled with the food. Chef Joshua has trained with the acknowledged best chef in America and it shows in his creativity and execution.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank David F
Reviewed 23 August 2012

We liked the overall great value and the central location in Stowe. Rustic decor with spacious, comfortable sitting areas and a warm ambience.
The staff was courteous and helpful. The service and quality of food at diner was exceptional. We will definitely
return. Special thanks to chef Joshua and Norm our attentive waiter.

Room Tip: Stay in the main building if you can. We felt It enhanced the overall experience.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Russell1368
Reviewed 29 July 2012

Great location but extremely dirty. The steps leading to the second floor were terrible. The rooms were not clean, the carpets were dirty and the continental breakfast was a disappointment. The breakfast consisted of wonder bread, mini muffins and apples. I'm sorry for this terrible review but for the $200 a night price, put some TLC into this Historical Place.

Room Tip: A/C unit extremely loud. Bathrooms were horrific. Dusty/Dirty/Dingy
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Nicole M
neylaEscondido, Guest Relations Manager at The Stowe Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 23 August 2012

Dear Nicole M,

Thank You for taking the time to provide us with the feedback about your stay with us. I want to apologize for the inconveniences you went through at our hotel. Rest assured that your comments have been passed onto the Hotel Management Staff to prevent similar occurrences from happening in the future. Staffing changes have been made. As for the Free Continental Breakfast, please note that we do offer a variety of Breakfast items and our bread and muffins are baked in our own kitchen.