“"superb dining experience"”

Ranked #1 of 1 Restaurants in Strafford
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 16 October 2013

Was taken here for my birthday. I had eaten there twice before and it hasnt changed in the two years since I was there. As soon as you walk in you get the feeling of comfort, elegance, without a feeling of pretention. The experience at this restaurant remains my favorite, ranked at the top! The dinners were well prepared, seasoned with care and delicacy. The desserts are excellent. I had the flourless chocolate torte and was not disappointed!
This is not an every day restaurant to go to, it is not cheap. However, the food and service deserved the five star rating I gave it!
REMEMBER--THEY TAKE CASH OR CHECK BUT NOT CREDIT CARDS!!

1  Thank iamguiseppi

Reviewed 1 October 2013

My wife and I had dinner at Stone Soup on Sunday evening (9/29). Truly, a wonderful meal! But first, some logistics: there is no outdoor sign identifying the restaurant. If you are in the lovely village of Strafford (VT Route 132), head past the Justin Morrill Homestead (on your right); you'll see the huge, white village meeting hall in front of you down the road. The restaurant is on your left as you head toward the village meeting hall. Just past the post office, there are 3 houses: Stone Soup is in the middle house with the two large lanterns on the front and the beautiful wooden door in the center. Walk into this warm and welcoming place. Now, on to the meal. We made reservations, having heard that the place can be packed. The evening we were there was fairly quiet. We were seated in the first dining room. Each of the tables had a different tablecloth and chairs; each had a tall candle-lit lantern and a small bouquet of fall flowers. Lovely, warm setting. Pleasant background music. We were quickly met by our server, Karen. She brought us the modest wine list: mostly bottles but also wine by the glass ($6 or $7/glass) - the restaurant also has a full bar. My wife ordered a glass of chardonnay and I had a cabernet sauvignon. Karen came back, brought us a covered dish of warm breads and butter, then explained the menu to us in detail (the menu is written on a blackboard in each of the dining rooms), but getting the "details" gives you a really good sense of what is in store. We each ordered the house salad with the house balsamic vinaigrette - very good. For the main course, my wife had the evening's special which was a pork stew (slowly cooked pork with tomatoes, seasoned with lemongrass, red pepper flakes, cumin, curry, etc. on a bed of basmati rice), with a side of julienned vegetables - absolutely delicious. I had the filet mignon on a bed of garlic mashed potatoes with a madeira gravy and the julienned vegetables. I ordered the filet medium rare - and it was perfect. Absolutely delicious from start to finish. For dessert, we ordered one piece (and two forks!) of the flour-less chocolate torte with raspberries. A perfect ending to a delicious meal. Karen, our server, was engaging and attentive but did not hover which we appreciate. A superb meal in a lovely setting. Total came to $97.00 including tax but not the tip. Stone Soup does not take credit cards but does take checks and cash. Though the restaurant is a bit out of the way, it is worth the trip!

3  Thank Vermonters210
Reviewed 28 August 2013

We went here a couple of weeks ago and were very satisfied with the experience. The food was incredible and well prepared. Service was exceptional and the waitress was very personable. It is a quaint and charming atmosphere. I would highly recommend that if you in the area to stop in for a terrific meal.

1  Thank Robert T
Reviewed 22 July 2013

Very welcoming place. Gil will make you feel right at home ! Tour the gardens if it's summer when you go...a glass of wine is the perfect garden partner.

Our dinner was very good. Most at my table had lamb with Italian couscous and nectarine chutney. A great combo...and finished with derby pie.

It's a great excuse to take a scenic drive and I highly recommend it.

Reviewed 17 November 2012

Can't believe a restaurant of this quality can be found in such a small village in Vermont. it's 30 minutes from civilization, yet this quaint little spot is a slice of upscale dining you can't find anywhere within 100 miles. Maybe Burlington has a restaurant this good, but I haven't found it yet. The atmosphere is country elegant with a double sided fireplace in the lobby. Only a few tables make up this romantic and peaceful setting in an old inn. Servers are all top notch and can anwer any questions regarding the food or wine. The menu is small but the attention to detail is huge. This is my wife's and my favorite spot. Just remember, no credit cards- only checks and cash. I can't tell you how many times I've given Gil an IOU in lou of $$$! :)

2  Thank whereistodd