“Very Convenient and Nice Staff, but Serious Issues”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of Black Bear Lodge

Black Bear Lodge
Brooklyn, NY
“Very Convenient and Nice Staff, but Serious Issues”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 December 2013

The Inn at Stratton has changed its name to Black Bear Lodge. It went through a renovation this fall after being purchased by Stratton. While the hotel is very convenient and the staff was friendly and accommodating, there are too many serious issues given the cost which is why I can't give it anything more than a below average rating. I won't be returning any time soon.

On the positive side, the rooms were clean, comfortable and a decent size. As I've said, the staff was all accommodating and friendly - hats off to them. The lodge is a short walk, in walking shoes/boots, to the base and village, but they have a convenient shuttle van for when you are lugging ski stuff. Being able to buy lift tickets at the front desk was a nice convenience too.

The issues are the same as some other reviewers have noted. Most seriously, they run out of hot water during busy times of the day. This is not an issue a ski lodge should have, ever. Breakfast was good in concept, but the food quality was poor at best. The coffee was weak, the eggs and pre-made sausage patties were seriously overcooked and there was only a limited variety of cereal. The game room was a black hole for quarters since most of the games did not work. Based on the reviews from before the fall, the touted upgrades have made a huge difference, but the hotel still has a worn down vibe to it. The walls and doors are all scuffed up, the vending machines were are all out of stock of water, and the touted hot tub was constantly overrun with teenagers. Just like Steven P. - I love my kids but hate yours ;-)

For the nearly $300/night I spent, it was not up to par and I'll go elsewhere next time.

Room Tip: Request a room on the 3rd floor. The entrance is on the second floor, so it is only up one flight. W...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Moorestown, New Jersey
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 December 2013

We stayed here as a result of a last minute decision to come to Stratton and found out that all of the good properties were sold out. I do not know if spending close to $350/night including taxes is a good value or not. The place was very modest and barely had what I would expect in any property that I would stay at. It was very dated. The room was a decent size for two queens, but the bathroom was very undersized. The design of the place was very annoying with every door closing, causing a bang and a vibration. Bed comfort was fair.There were kids everywhere and they ran up and down the hallways well into the night. The doors never stopped slamming. I did everything I could to stay out late and to come back exhausted so I could sleep through it. There was a modest spa but no restrictions to kids of any age and they just overwhelmed the area. The game room was a total let down for my kids as many of the games did not work or had no prizes. Breakfast was included in the price of the room. It was decent but the food never changed. It was self serve and because the food was poorly laid out, people kept walking back and forth throughout the meal. Shuttle service was decent and the drivers were very accommodating. There was no ski in ski out feature at this hotel. A pool was available but a shuttle was needed to get there and it was at an additional charge. If you have unruly kids and do not want them to stand out, this is the right place to stay. For my family, we could not wait to leave the property although we thoroughly enjoyed the area. One tip if you come to the area is to book dinner in advance. Of our five nights, we were only able to secure one dinner reservation. Person after person came coming in looking to eat at all of the restaurants and they were all set away.

Travellers are raving about these Stratton Mountain hotels

Baltimore, Maryland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 December 2013

We stayed at the Blackbear Lodge (formerly the Inn at Stratton Mountain but updated) for a few days just before Christmas. The price was right and the shuttle service to the mountain from the Lodge was great - always running and so convenient. The staff was friendly and helpful and the lobby of the hotel was really nice to hang out in which is good because the rooms are pretty small. There was a breakfast included which is nice just before a day of skiing. The same room where the breakfast is set out is also the restaurant, Bentleys. It is very convenient to have a restaurant on site, though I would rate the food just so-so. It is hard to get in somewhere to eat at Stratton, so I suggest you make your reservations before arriving. I probably would not stay at Blackbear again though, and there are a couple of reasons for that. First, though they updated the Inn when they changed it to Blackbear Lodge, they failed to include an elevator. If you are upstairs, that means hauling your equipment up and down. If you are on the main floor, you can hear everything above you, so there is no good option, though in retrospect, it would have been better to haul our stuff up and down each day. The hot water was not always available for showers. One day I waited 10 minutes for the water to get hot, then went to the front desk to say I was having trouble getting hot water and the front desk person told me to run it at least 20 minutes! That's a long time if you have to go somewhere. I did though, and got in when it was hot, but unfortunately, within 2 minutes or less, it was cold again. I complained and a different front desk person told me that the engineers had fixed the problem...some tank was blocked or something. Ok. Then the engineer came to my room and asked to check my hot water. He said that the only problem with the hot water was that everyone wanted to take a shower at the same time. That didn't sound like what the front desk person told me at all. Since that is something common to all hotels, it did not seem like something that would be "fixed." I never ran into that problem anywhere else. I tried the next day after skiing and had to wait about 20 minutes for the water to get hot, but this time, it stayed hot for awhile. My son could not get a hot shower any of the 3 days/nights we were there. We were scheduled to be there 4 nights, but the noise in the room next door was so loud that we left a day early. Ski conditions weren't the best, but we would have stayed if not for the excessive noise. One night it went until 2:00 a.m. Another night it was midnight when I first complained, and they finally stopped a little after 12:30. So, while it was a bargain, and it might be the best arrangement for people with young kids - there were a lot of young children running around - the problems with the hot water and noise level would definitely make me hesitate before staying here again.

Room Tip: I recommend avoiding a room anywhere near the lobby. The lobby is very noisy and the noise starts a...
West Hartford, Connecticut
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 December 2013

Stayed here just before Christmas. It is now called the Black Bear Lodge. Was told they spent $3.5M upgrading the property. Rooms have been updated, new carpeting, new bathrooms, etc. Rooms were clean and simple. No refrigerator in room. The Inn's restaurant provides nice meals and staff is friendly. Hot tub and game room on site. Free shuttle service to mountain or 2 minute drive. This is a no frills type of property. Great for families.

massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 December 2013

My fiance and I and out little girl have stayed here many times. They have just recently renovated the rooms and this warm and welcoming place looks great with the new shine. We always feel so welcomed and comfortable as if we just entered into a friend's home. The staff are continually helpful and willing to go the extra mile to make sure guests are comfortable and have everything they need. The "in" house restaurant, Bentley's is good and you could even wear your slippers there if you're staying at the Inn. Overall, a wonderful experience at a great Ski Resort in beautiful Vermont.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Stratton Mountain
No photo provided
Vantage Point Condominiums
#4 of 4 in Stratton Mountain
Grand Summit Resort Hotel

Been to Black Bear Lodge? Share your experiences!